• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mark Trumbo isn't that good

Scott34

It all depends on what you mean by "that good." I think a lot of fans overrate him and think he's a bonafide star with superstar potential - this thread seems to bear that out. If that's what you mean, I agree with you - he's not that good. But it would be easy to underrate him as well as just another average 1B/RF/DH type. As some have said he's made small improvements and isn't done getting better, I think. I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a season or two hitting .280/.900 with 35+ HR, although I think his norm will be more like .270/.850, 30-35 HR. Still, that's pretty good.

Sure it's good.  But it isn't "untouchable" good or even "extremely hard to get" good.  If you can get 2 really good pitching prospects for him (Mets, Brewers come to mind) - you have to do it.  This team is dry to the bone in the starting pitching region.

Extremely good is difficult to get. Good isn't easy to get. Good and cheap is difficult to get.

When I thought Pujols and then Hamilton would be very good for a while, I was more than open to trading Trumbo. Trumbo is better now, Morales is gone, and the two that were supposed to be extremely good haven't been. I'm open to trading anyone but Trumbo isn't easily replaceable, especially when you consider the money.

really, name all the 1B/RF/DH guys that put up Trumbo numbers

Allen Craig, Nelson Cruz, James Loney, Jose Bautista, Hunter Pence, Gerardo Parra, Dexter Fowler, Jay Bruce, Price Fielder, Freddie Freeman, Domonic Brown, Matt Joyce, Edwin Encarnacion, Ryan Braun, Michael Cuddyer, Carlos Beltran, Paul Goldschmidt, Carlos Gonzalez, David Ortiz, Joey Votta, and Chris Davis are all putting up better numbers than Trumbo this year.

Allen Craig, Nelson Cruz, James Loney, Jose Bautista, Hunter Pence, Gerardo Parra, Dexter Fowler, Jay Bruce, Price Fielder, Freddie Freeman, Domonic Brown, Matt Joyce, Edwin Encarnacion, Ryan Braun, Michael Cuddyer, Carlos Beltran, Paul Goldschmidt, Carlos Gonzalez, David Ortiz, Joey Votta, and Chris Davis are all putting up better numbers than Trumbo this year.

Almost all of them are under contract for a good chunk of change, unlike Trumbo. He's under club control for what 3 more years? Even when he goes to arbitration he won't cost as much as the names on that list

Trumbo isn't a superstar and may not ever become one but he could be the best power hitter developed by the Angels and he's still slightly improving each year.

He definitely isn't the problem but he is one of the few  assets that could return some good pieces.

I doubt the team will ever go into a true rebuilding mode so he won't get dealt.

Only 10 of the 21 players you listed have a higher WAR than Trumbo.

As far as offense is concerned, if you look at wRC+, a lot of these guys are quite close to each other.

Only 10 of the 21 players you listed have a higher WAR than Trumbo.

As far as offense is concerned, if you look at wRC+, a lot of these guys are quite close to each other.

Aside from that, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he was asking for players that are versatile enough to play both positions.  I know it's always been assumed that just about any player can manage at 1B, but I think our experience with Brendan Harris says otherwise.  And lets not even pretend that David Ortiz can play acceptable defense.

You should probably look at the comparison I asked for. You missed. 

Versatile in the fact that he's barely average at 1st and bad in the outfield?

Doesn't strike me as versatile.

Again, not hating on Trumbo. But he isn't a star.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I've ever seen Trumbo have a game anywhere near as bad with the glove as Shuck was today in left field and thats not the first time. That's Bad, I'd say Trumbo is Average in the OF. He makes all the routine plays and has a pretty strong arm.

You should probably look at the comparison I asked for. You missed. 

You mean this?

really, name all the 1B/RF/DH guys that put up Trumbo numbers

I hope you aren't just looking at homeruns and rbis to judge hitters.

All those hitters I stated have just as good or better overall hitting numbers.

And how many of them play all of those positions? The point was to compare like plauers, not all of 1B and dh's. Trumbo has a lot of value to this team and for the role he plays, his numbers are very good. He's not a superstar but then I don't think anyone has portrayed him as one. 

And how many of them play all of those positions? The point was to compare like plauers, not all of 1B and dh's. Trumbo has a lot of value to this team and for the role he plaus, his numbers are very good. He's not a superstar but then I don't think anyone has portrayed him as one. 

What's the big deal that he is able to play the 2 easiest defensive positions in a below average fashion.

He's has been barely a 2 WAR player in the first two years which is barely an average major league player's number.

He has stepped it up this year but he was out to an even better first half last year and fell off completely off the cliff.

He still has a lot to prove to even be considered a star player.

What's the big deal that he is able to play the 2 easiest defensive positions in a below average fashion.

He's has been barely a 2 WAR player in the first two years which is barely an average major league player's number.

He has stepped it up this year but he was out to an even better first half last year and fell off completely off the cliff.

I don't think anyone here is considering him a star.

Well again rageous, no one is arguing the affirmative. He's better than a dime a dozen player and players with his skill/value don't "practically grow on trees" 

the question you have to ask yourself is whether his production is replaceable.

Just because recent big free agent signings have been a bust doesn't mean you scrap the whole idea of that and go with an even more risky prospect route. 

What are the odds that even one of the prospects provides the level of value that Trumbo does? 

You can shuffle things around all you want, but Trumbo is now an established player that is cheap and actually has upside from the level of solid production he is currently putting up. 

Quit trying to reinvent the wheel here.