• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mark Trumbo isn't that good

Scott34

Sure it's good. But it isn't "untouchable" good or even "extremely hard to get" good. If you can get 2 really good pitching prospects for him (Mets, Brewers come to mind) - you have to do it. This team is dry to the bone in the starting pitching region.

scott, you can argue he's not a 'star'. But to say he's not good is stretching it huge. Hes had an average 3 weeks (except dor power). He's a power hitter....they do that.

Is he tradeable? Sure. But the reason he is is because he's good. Hes gonna be average at getting on base. With his power, that's fine. And you're ignoring his 3 year trends. Hes still only 27 and improving. AJ said it best.

OK, what teams out there need a Trumbo type player that would be willing to part with good pitching prospects?

I'm not suggestinf trading him LT (at this point). But I've been thinking about who he would be a hood fit for, and I think washington maybe. Maybe oakland (doubt it would happen). Pittsburg if they believe in themselves enough for now.

He would be a good trade chip.....I'm not totally against it. But he's got more value than this thread wants to believe.

Allen Craig, Nelson Cruz, James Loney, Jose Bautista, Hunter Pence, Gerardo Parra, Dexter Fowler, Jay Bruce, Price Fielder, Freddie Freeman, Domonic Brown, Matt Joyce, Edwin Encarnacion, Ryan Braun, Michael Cuddyer, Carlos Beltran, Paul Goldschmidt, Carlos Gonzalez, David Ortiz, Joey Votta, and Chris Davis are all putting up better numbers than Trumbo this year.

any list that includes braun and fielder, along with joyce parra and pence screams sample size.

A few of those names (loney? Lol) are flukes. The others are either superstars or in the making ones (freeman goldschmidt). To pull those names out and say trumbo is average because these guys are better is beyond weak (if that's what you're suggesting).

I'm not suggestinf trading him LT (at this point). But I've been thinking about who he would be a hood fit for, and I think washington maybe. Maybe oakland (doubt it would happen). Pittsburg if they believe in themselves enough for now.

He would be a good trade chip.....I'm not totally against it. But he's got more value than this thread wants to believe.

Again scout, it's not just where he would fit, it's about who needs him bad enough to give up good pitching. With his limited defense, I wouldn't think any NL team would give up much in return. I highly doubt oakland would make a trade for good pitching within the division either. 

Ridiculous to even consider trading him when in half the games the Angels struggle to score runs and he is one of the few threats. What could you get that would be worth it? Pitching prospects....are there really teams out there willing to deal those? Doubtful.

Mark Trumbo is this days Troy Glaus that doesn't play 3rd (Although I would have LOVED IT if they gave him more than a couple games to find his stride in the hot corner. Guy used to be a pitcher and has a ridiculous arm. Another decision by Skip I don't agree with. Dump Callaspo and give Trumbo a year at 3rd. He will be better than what we're stuck with now). Too bad he's got 2 over-paid headcases around him that encourage him to free swing all the time otherwise with the mind set of the guys we had back in '02 he'd prolly bat like a champ.

Sorry if you don't like him, but the guy hits bombs and has a b-e-a-yoo-tifull swing.

According to the movie, its good role players that play alongside an MVP and a runner up (Tejada and Chavez), along with a ridiculous starting 3 rotation and bullpen.

But the good role players are the reason for the wins. (according to the movie)

People commenting on "Moneyball", the book, because they saw that awful movie has reached epidemic levels on baseball forums. And like the above, they are usually way, way off base (no pun intended)

According to the movie, its good role players that play alongside an MVP and a runner up (Tejada and Chavez), along with a ridiculous starting 3 rotation and bullpen.

But the good role players are the reason for the wins. (according to the movie)

Lol @ citing Moneyball the movie.

Moneyball players are players with high OBP skills who can take walks and make contact. Read a book, not watch a movie with Jonah Hill

Gotta say, I'm pretty surprised that the worst farm system in baseball apparently has at least 3 guys ready to match or exceed the value of a guy we want other team's really good prospects for, within a year or so.

It's funny.  I have been one of Trumbo's harsher critics due to his lack of plate discipline for most of his career and yet it cracks me up to see how easily his power is written off.   He's overrated by many, he really only has one tool, but if he continues to show the slight improvements to his plate discipline he had that one tool is such a rarity currently that it's actually quite valuable.

I understand the notion of having to give something to get something, and that's likely what some are trying to say but you're talking about a guy who's power is so impressive he can go yard in any park anywhere with very little effort...  Given our home field and the division we play in, that's possibly more valuable to us than it would be on the open market.

Mark Trumbo is this days Troy Glaus that doesn't play 3rd 

Only if you ignore the fact that Glaus was an OBP machine that was actually a decent defensive player.

Basically, Trumbo is nothing like Troy Glaus other than they both were massive power threats., If he was then I doubt anyone would even hint at trading him.

Mark Trumbo is this days Troy Glaus that doesn't play 3rd (Although I would have LOVED IT if they gave him more than a couple games to find his stride in the hot corner. Guy used to be a pitcher and has a ridiculous arm. Another decision by Skip I don't agree with. Dump Callaspo and give Trumbo a year at 3rd. He will be better than what we're stuck with now). Too bad he's got 2 over-paid headcases around him that encourage him to free swing all the time otherwise with the mind set of the guys we had back in '02 he'd prolly bat like a champ.

Sorry if you don't like him, but the guy hits bombs and has a b-e-a-yoo-tifull swing.

I do think Trumbo would have improved at 3B given more time, but he should not be our FT 3B. 

Oh and his plate discipline has always been his biggest issue and has improved every year so I'm not getting the "encourage him to free swing all the time" nonsense.