• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LA Times owner Patrick Soon-Shiong exploring a bid for the Angels

mmc

Here's an article back in early September from Forbes that provides some interesting information (1 piece that I highlighted below) via MSN...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/the-angels-have-several-interested-buyers-right-out-of-the-gate-including-one-from-japan/ar-AA11ENj2

For potential buyers, however, the Angels have a couple key things going for them. The team is expected to make a sizable profit this year and has very little debt. And unlike the Washington Nationals, who’ve been on the block for months, the Angels have no deferred player contract liabilities beyond this season.

4 hours ago, khouse said:

Here's an article back in early September from Forbes that provides some interesting information (1 piece that I highlighted below) via MSN...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/the-angels-have-several-interested-buyers-right-out-of-the-gate-including-one-from-japan/ar-AA11ENj2

For potential buyers, however, the Angels have a couple key things going for them. The team is expected to make a sizable profit this year and has very little debt. And unlike the Washington Nationals, who’ve been on the block for months, the Angels have no deferred player contract liabilities beyond this season.

I don't follow near close enough, but you almost wonder if that's what's been happening the past few years.... that Moreno decided to sale while ago, and that played a huge role each winter.

20 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I don't follow near close enough, but you almost wonder if that's what's been happening the past few years.... that Moreno decided to sale while ago, and that played a huge role each winter.

Had everything laid out for a sale then the pandemic bitchslapped him

Tensions rise between the LA Times and its billionaire owner

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/18/la-times-tension-patrick-soon-shiong-00056601

"Those who have worked for Soon-Shiong say his focus is fleeting and that he can be impulsive. He is frequently tied to other ventures (he owns the San Diego Union-Tribune and his name has popped up as a potential buyer of the Los Angeles Angels). With so many initiatives and commitments, he often parachutes into newspaper matters, usually with sweeping proposals for moving the business forward or coverage priorities to emphasize.

The former executive described Soon-Shiong as both an “absentee landlord and also a micromanager” who can be deeply indecisive."

28 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Tensions rise between the LA Times and its billionaire owner

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/18/la-times-tension-patrick-soon-shiong-00056601

"Those who have worked for Soon-Shiong say his focus is fleeting and that he can be impulsive. He is frequently tied to other ventures (he owns the San Diego Union-Tribune and his name has popped up as a potential buyer of the Los Angeles Angels). With so many initiatives and commitments, he often parachutes into newspaper matters, usually with sweeping proposals for moving the business forward or coverage priorities to emphasize.

The former executive described Soon-Shiong as both an “absentee landlord and also a micromanager” who can be deeply indecisive."

No No No GIF

Hopeful Arte Moreno countdown:

16 games

Not liking the idea of Patrick Soon-Shiong as owner, don’t need an impulsive owner after having one for too long.

If Ballmer isn’t interested, then if Joe Lacob can bring $6-$7 billion of additional investors with him, he can have the team.   He’s a winner and a former So Cal guy.

Edited by Angel Oracle

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Hopeful Arte Moreno countdown:

16 games

Not liking the idea of Patrick Soon-Shiong as owner, don’t need an impulsive owner after having one for too long.

If Ballmer isn’t interested, then if Joe Lacob can bring $6-$7 million of additional investors with him, he can have the team.   He’s a winner and a former So Cal guy.

Based on this, I have to think MLB will pressure Arte to not do a majority deal with Shiong by telling him they won't vote to approve.   At least I hope so, I really don't like this description of him - he sounds potentially worse than Arte (I dunno how he made his money with his cancer drug - if he didn't build his business from the ground up and learn the value of long-term planning and patience, if he just hit a lottery with his invention, then no thanks)

It'll probably be a group with some primary money guys , some baseball figure (hopefully not Pujols 😳 but more likely an exec like Epstein), some wealthy people with ties to the area, (which could also be the money guys), and various / assorted rich celebrities, like some movie producer, and some members from underrepresented communities.   

edit:  Ohtani may bring some Japanese money to the table - but imo, that interest would be based on signing him to an extension