• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Moreno Family Exploring Sale of the Los Angeles Angels

axalar

6 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

I'm hoping Samueli over Ballmer.  First, Samueli is rich enough.  Not Ballmer rich, but rich enough.  Second, Samueli has invested heavily in the OC, where Ballmer, when given the opportunity, chose Inglewood over the OC.  Third, Samueli's fortunes aren't tied to the team as Arte was.  Arte was a billionaire when he bought the team, but his fortunes disproportionately went up due to the value of the team.  Samueli is just wicked smart, and Broadcomm is his money tree.  Fourth, Samueli is well regarded among the NHL.  On the Board of Governors, and an advisor to the commissioner.  Fifth, which is really oddly opposite of fourth, is that he is hands off when it comes to running the Ducks.  The Hockey people run the Ducks, and just wants to go and enjoy and grow the game.  Sixth, Samueli knows he can't take it with him.  His kids are set.  He's been more giving back to the community, and if he owned the Angels, it would be more of a community trust than a money making machine.  Just like the Ducks.  

I agree with some sentiments on this however while I do think the Samueli's can buy the team and they'd make fantastic owners, I don't think it makes sense for them.

1) NHL is a salary cap league and for the most part, the Ducks have not spent to the cap unless they made deep playoff runs and even then the Samueli's have stated they were losing money on the Ducks.

2) The Angels have the revenue streams, but to be competitive in the next few years, the new owners have to spend a lot of money both on the roster and on the team's infrastructure.  While the Samueli do have the pockets, I'm not sure if it's that deep that they can stomach having 2 money losing franchises in the short term.  When the Dodgers got sold to their current ownership, they swung hard and spent tons of money improving both the roster and the infrastructure and hiring the best people, because they had a ton of money and wanted to field a winner in the short and long term in order to build up the fan base for the cable channel they were going to create.  I speculate that if the Samueli's buy the team, there will be a budget much like Moreno had, but they'll stay out of the way and let the baseball people do their thing which is what Moreno should've been doing. 

I'll be very happy if the Samueli's buy the Angels, but I don't see it happening.  They'll most likely be outbid by someone else.

2 hours ago, T.G. said:

I wonder how the timing of this news will impact the off season and Ohtani.

This was my thought exactly. They won’t spend shit this off-season, and blew their chance to move Ohtani for the biggest possible return a month ago. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

$98 billion net worth says “Come on down, you’re the next Halos owner!”

That’s 24 times Arte Moreno’s net worth.

He already has sports team ownership background.

Guggenheim vs Steve Ballmer would spice up SoCal baseball, and hopefully put the Halos in the right direction ongoing.

If not Ballmer, Samueli and his $71 billion net worth (18 times Arte Moreno’s) would be a solid 2nd option.

Both have roots in SoCal.

He already has been battling the Lakers for a few years! Might as well battle the Guggenheim Group!