• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell

BTH

Dont't know if this idea has been has been brought up before but could this be some sort of depth perception/ visual problem? Maybe just so slight that most of the time he can follow the flight of the ball successfully. However under certain circumstances like light, shadows and angles could come into play. Maybe a series of eye exams would turn up something. Grasping at straws here. It just seems unbelievable that an MLB outfielder who has gotten to this level could have these difficulties.

12 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

It may be in his head or it may be that he's so busy trying to look good he's not putting in the effort to actually be good.  Either way he embarrasses himself on a regular basis.

I’d actually use all three of these as an explainer to someone about Jo Adell. I think the early failures and demotions have got to him and he’s working through his mental blocks. I also think he does want to look good—maybe not the same way he wanted to when he was full blown “Swaggy J”. Now I think he really wants to look like he knows what he’s doing and is doing it well. And, instead of just getting in behind the scenes reps and film to improve, it’s more about showing everyone—maybe just Perry at this point—that he is putting in the work. “Hey Coach, let’s move out to Center. Perry’s on the field.” 

Either way, he’s clearly not a naturally good outfielder. I don’t say this flippantly and I know how it went with Upton, but I wouldn’t be opposed to him changing positions to 1B. I know it’s not easy, but I think some of Upton’s issues were pride/how dare they ask me to do this related. Marsh may be tanking at the plate but he’s still a plus defender. Adell has had much better at bats lately—baby steps—and I still want to see how he can develop at the plate. 

3 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Every time I see him botch a play, I think of the part in the Steve Martin movie parenthood, where his kids loses a pop up, and Ron Howard's brother keeps screaming "no business!"

The casting of this is very tongue in cheek.

He is yelling “no business” about the coach’s kid being in that position, and the role is played by Ron Howard’s brother who obviously only gets this role by being Ron Howard’s brother.  That’s funny.

On 7/31/2022 at 7:23 AM, ThisismineScios said:

I’d actually use all three of these as an explainer to someone about Jo Adell. I think the early failures and demotions have got to him and he’s working through his mental blocks. I also think he does want to look good—maybe not the same way he wanted to when he was full blown “Swaggy J”. Now I think he really wants to look like he knows what he’s doing and is doing it well. And, instead of just getting in behind the scenes reps and film to improve, it’s more about showing everyone—maybe just Perry at this point—that he is putting in the work. “Hey Coach, let’s move out to Center. Perry’s on the field.” 

Either way, he’s clearly not a naturally good outfielder. I don’t say this flippantly and I know how it went with Upton, but I wouldn’t be opposed to him changing positions to 1B. I know it’s not easy, but I think some of Upton’s issues were pride/how dare they ask me to do this related. Marsh may be tanking at the plate but he’s still a plus defender. Adell has had much better at bats lately—baby steps—and I still want to see how he can develop at the plate. 

Let me get this straight...

The guy cannot hit major league pitching. He watches or whiffs through strikes, then when he's down in the count he swings at balls. He's up there guessing and he looks like a fool.

He also struggles catching fly balls and biffs ground balls routinely, he just gave up an inside the park homer on a dribbler down the line...so his glove sucks too, he can't be depended on as a fielder.

And still, after all this...you're thinking playing him at first base would fix all this? Have you even watched him play? Are you out of your mind?

I'd like to ask for anyone who thinks more "playing time" is going to make him better: When do you give it up?  When are you going to get back to reality and decide he has gotten enough playing time? How many more games?

He's played over 100 games and not ONE thing about him has improved. You have to draw a line in the sand at some point. 

You can't expect us to be a competitive team and get good players who want to play in this organization if Mr. "he's still working it out after 100 games" is still getting playing time. It's irrationale. It's not how good organization are ran. At some point the guy has to go. We can't keep doing this to our team.

3 hours ago, CaliAngel said:

Let me get this straight...

The guy cannot hit major league pitching. He watches or whiffs through strikes, then when he's down in the count he swings at balls. He's up there guessing and he looks like a fool.

He also struggles catching fly balls and biffs ground balls routinely, he just gave up an inside the park homer on a dribbler down the line...so his glove sucks too, he can't be depended on as a fielder.

And still, after all this...you're thinking playing him at first base would fix all this? Have you even watched him play? Are you out of your mind?

I'd like to ask for anyone who thinks more "playing time" is going to make him better: When do you give it up?  When are you going to get back to reality and decide he has gotten enough playing time? How many more games?

He's played over 100 games and not ONE thing about him has improved. You have to draw a line in the sand at some point. 

You can't expect us to be a competitive team and get good players who want to play in this organization if Mr. "he's still working it out after 100 games" is still getting playing time. It's irrationale. It's not how good organization are ran. At some point the guy has to go. We can't keep doing this to our team.

I don’t even know where to start. This is…yeah. 

Adell is 23 years old. Again, he just turned 23. He’s younger than most top prospects that get called up—Rutschman for one. And he’s been up for three seasons. He was not ready when he was called up, but no minor league season and Eppler trying to save his job forced the issue. He needed way more AAA reps and ABs, but now every time he goes down and has a little success, there’s pressure to bring him back. That’s not his fault and he’s still dealing with the pressure of that. 

You are actually questioning whether more reps for a 23 year-old will make him better? Uhh what? Of course they will. 113 games is not as much as you think. Giving up on a guy that young and talented is so dumb, I don’t know where to start. 

And I suggested a move to 1B because his OF instincts and angles suck. You know that 1B requires a different skill set, right? Don’t sarcastically attack my post if you’re going to make asinine comments. You sound pretty foolish acting like 100 games is all that is needed to assess any player. I’d encourage you to spend some time looking at other players’ first 100 games before calling me out of my mind. 

I know this is a thread specifically about Adell and the conversation about where he is in his development is certainly valid.

I thought he would be able to hit much better than he is.

But I can’t help notice that, in the big scheme of things, nobody can hit.

The Angels managed to get SEVEN guys into the game last night that are hitting .200 or under.

BC3C5186-B48E-4BE9-B98A-52D4F908D97F.jpeg

42 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I know this is a thread specifically about Adell and the conversation about where he is in his development is certainly valid.

I thought he would be able to hit much better than he is.

But I can’t help notice that, in the big scheme of things, nobody can hit.

The Angels managed to get SEVEN guys into the game last night that are hitting .200 or under.

BC3C5186-B48E-4BE9-B98A-52D4F908D97F.jpeg

It’s a combo of Minasian’s failures in the off-season, injuries to Trout and Rendon, and a seemingly bad job of coaching hitters.

8 hours ago, Slegnaac said:

Tonight in the 9th inning, losing to the A's, Adell watches strike 1 and strike 3 with the bat on his shoulder. 

Meanwhile Sierra up there swing at those pitches in the zone.

Edge: Sierra

Sierra is 3 years older than Adell and is hitting .190. 

44 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

They didn’t give up on Marsh. They had to choose between him and Adell at some point. And they found a team where the top catching prospect was blocked. 

I like the Marsh trade, like O’Hoppe’s upside, but why did they have to choose? Trout is hurt, again, and Ward seems to have returned to earth. Not sure how the OF will shakes out eventually. Trout may replace Ohtani at DH, who knows. But not sure we were forced to “choose” at this point.  I do like the trade, though.

18 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

This guy just wanted to say hello:

image.png

Just curious if you have ever had anyone really close to you suffer from chronic, debilitating anxiety? It wrecks lives.

I still feel like 99% of the time a Brandon Wood reference is misplaced when you consider context.

No, he isn’t an example of poor drafting.  No, he isn’t an example of poor player development.  No, he isn’t an example of being rushed.  No, he isn’t an example of being mismanaged.  No, he isn’t an example of being poorly coached.  No, he isn’t an example of poor plate discipline.  No, he isn’t an example of a AAAA player.  No, he isn’t an example of (many other fill-in-the-blanks).

Wood IS an example of how chronic anxiety and psychological issues can prevent otherwise extremely talented people from being even functional.

He has my empathy and understanding.

Edited by Dtwncbad