• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Marvel Cinematic Universe (and superhero films in general)

Which statement best describes you?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Love em - Can't wait for every new one
    • Like em - They're pretty good for what they are - I watch all/most of them
    • They're solid entertainment for what they are, but kind of "MCU-ed" out and/or feel they're a bit overrated
    • Meh - they're ok and I've seen a few, but could take or leave
    • Blech - Trash. I'm an adult and only watch Serious Things.
    • What is this Marvel you speak of? (Never seen one and not interested)

I really don't know the difference between Marvel or DC or any other comic book/super hero deal...

For the most part they just don't interest me.  I've seen a few Spiderman's... but it was a while ago. Growing up, Spiderman was my favorite... but I haven't seen any of the newer ones.  It also seems like too much work to keep up with all the different super heroes.   Same goes for all the Star Wars stuff...  

11 hours ago, arch stanton said:

The only thing amusing about this crap anymore is watching the Hollywood crowd battle for a character. All that's left now are the crappy ones like Captain Bangladesh or Millipede Man

Funny. Is there really a Captain Bangladesh? If there isn't, there should be.

Anyhow, they've got the next try at the Fantastic Four, which will probably also include the Silver Surfer, who is the greatest super hero ever (I mean, a silver dude who flies through space on a surfboard and wields the Power Cosmic!).

There's also the MCU's version of X-Men.

Part of what makes it tedious for me is both the fact that the movies start to just blend into each other, and the two best characters--Captain America and Iron Man--are done. Oh, and Black Panther (RIP).

I'm also sick of the campy humor. That peaked with the Galaga joke in Avengers.

2 hours ago, Taylor said:

Serious Things must be about the Stranger Things kids grown up and dealing with boring adult problems.

You mean like Will's trials with STDs in San Francisco bathhouses? 

20 minutes ago, T.G. said:

I really don't know the difference between Marvel or DC or any other comic book/super hero deal...

For the most part they just don't interest me.  I've seen a few Spiderman's... but it was a while ago. Growing up, Spiderman was my favorite... but I haven't seen any of the newer ones.  It also seems like too much work to keep up with all the different super heroes.   Same goes for all the Star Wars stuff...  

Tobey Maguire was the best Spider-Man, imo - plus Willem Dafoe.

I'm into geeky stuff, but even Star Wars lost me. Not only did the prequels suck, but the new ones were irritating for a variety of reasons. That said, I'd like to check out the Mandalorian and Boba Fett, eventually.

I saw a trailer for "Samaritan" starring Sly Stallone.  I have no idea if he's a super hero from one of the comic book companies or what.  I have some interest in seeing it because I like Stallone.  I don't like all  his movies, but I love Rocky.  I love interesting characters and this movie has a hint of that.

Edited by T.G.

41 minutes ago, T.G. said:

I saw a trailer for "Samaritan" starring Sly Stallone.  I have no idea if he's a super hero from one of the comic book companies or what.  I have some interest in seeing it because I like Stallone.  I don't like all  his movies, but I love Rocky.  I love interesting characters and this movie has a hint of that.

Trailer looked interesting.  But that story just sounds familiar.  Can't put my finger on where I've seen it though.  As for your second sentence.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/sylvester-stallone-samaritan-trailer/#:~:text=Samaritan is billed as a,August 26 on Prime Video.

The story is based on the Mythos Comics graphic novels from Marc Olivent, Renzo Podesta, and Bragi F. Schut, with the latter serving as the screenwriter as well.

Just now, Angelsjunky said:

On a serious note, I'd like to see them create a bit more agency for him in the last season. He's been either a victim or cheerleader/support person. 

Stranger Things spoilers:

Spoiler

Yeah, his character was totally one-note in Season 4. He always had that sad puppy dog look on his face. 

Fans are theorizing that he will be the key to defeating the Big Bad in the final season. Eleven has the power, but Will has a direct connection because he was the first person Vecna et. al. kidnapped.

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

Stranger Things spoilers:

Hide contents

Yeah, his character was totally one-note in Season 4. He always had that sad puppy dog look on his face. 

Fans are theorizing that he will be the key to defeating the Big Bad in the final season. Eleven has the power, but Will has a direct connection because he was the first person Vecna et. al. kidnapped.

Spoiler

Yeah, makes sense. I got kind of sick of Eleven in the last season, and actually the original kids as a group. They keep trying to come up with limitations or obstacles to Eleven's power, but she always ends up feeling a bit too omnipotent. Not sure if you read the original Dark Phoenix X-Men stories, but that was one way to have a super-powerful character remain interesting.

It's trash.

TV shows started becoming epic and people started flocking to more story driven content, so Hollywood started doing shitty remakes or spinoffs while finding money in making kids movies, aka comic book and super hero movies. Kids love them and they are a cash cow. But call a spade a spade, it's trash and since American greed is in play they are chasing dollars instead of quality. Like I said in the movie thread, they are the boy bands of the late 90's........most of us don't give a fuck, but there is a demographic that do, same as Nickelback. 

No movie will ever be as good as season 1 of Mad Men or Breaking Bad so make shit for the kids that don't have the attention span for a series and make as much money as possible. It's basically running off Twilight and Harry Potter. It's also why no one goes to the movies anymore. People will say streaming or Covid the way people still use supply chain issues as a bullshit excuse to not have product, but we saw with Top Gun that if you have a quality product that is well written, people will come out.

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

It's trash.

TV shows started becoming epic and people started flocking to more story driven content, so Hollywood started doing shitty remakes or spinoffs while finding money in making kids movies, aka comic book and super hero movies. Kids love them and they are a cash cow. But call a spade a spade, it's trash and since American greed is in play they are chasing dollars instead of quality. Like I said in the movie thread, they are the boy bands of the late 90's........most of us don't give a fuck, but there is a demographic that do, same as Nickelback. 

No movie will ever be as good as season 1 of Mad Men or Breaking Bad so make shit for the kids that don't have the attention span for a series and make as much money as possible. It's basically running off Twilight and Harry Potter. It's also why no one goes to the movies anymore. People will say streaming or Covid the way people still use supply chain issues as a bullshit excuse to not have product, but we saw with Top Gun that if you have a quality product that is well written, people will come out.

Brandon has officially become a Boomer.

• 2 weeks later...

Lack of variety is the problem even if some are actually good.  Some look like trash lately.  I get the impression from what I've read about the new Thor is that it's resorted to the humor of those two hacks who made Date/Epic/Disaster Movie.  The MCU humor has been like that lately and even ruined the new Spider Man movie for me with it's winky reference humor.

Ethan Hawke nailed it.

On 7/28/2022 at 9:41 AM, Taylor said:

Brandon has officially become a Boomer.

I'm a xennial and I've had this attitude about music since the boy groups and Fred Durst inspired butt rock that killed the golden era of alt rock.  It's either butt rock or pop bands disguised as rock like Maroon/Coldplay/AJR/Jonas.  That latter is Radio Disney crap for those who hate real rock music and would be mortified at the sound of a distorted amped up guitar.

Don't even get me started on the Pitchfork Media friendly indie mediocrity like Bon Iver and The National.

1 hour ago, cysomeawfulpitcher said:

I'm a xennial and I've had this attitude about music since the boy groups and Fred Durst inspired butt rock that killed the golden era of alt rock.  It's either butt rock or pop bands disguised as rock like Maroon/Coldplay/AJR/Jonas.  That latter is Radio Disney crap for those who hate real rock music and would be mortified at the sound of a distorted amped up guitar.

Don't even get me started on the Pitchfork Media friendly indie mediocrity like Bon Iver and The National.

I like getting you started. Even when you're full of shit your rants are fun to read. Keep up the perfectly adequate work

What the fuck is he talking about and how does it refer to the subject matter? The only correlation is that I referenced super hero movies as today's equivalency of boy bands in the late 90's that were shoved down our throats. The Ethan Hawke video kind of touched on my point, but he was trying to be diplomatic because he's still an actor in Hollywood, whereas, I'm not.

I'm not a "fan", but I like them.

To be fair I've only seen a few. The Nolan Batman movies were great (never saw the first, just the second 2). I liked the Iron Man movies, but only saw them once or twice, ten years ago.

Saw the Avengers (first one) on a flight and thought it was really cool.... but I didn't see the other movies that go with it except Iron Man, so didn't get a lot of the references.

As just run movies, I like them... but again, I've only seen a few, one time each.

I'll say this. And someone mentioned it above, about fake hype and reviews. I actually bought Black Panther a few years ago, based on the hype. Took me 6 months maybe a year to finally watch it. But I made it a "thing" the night I did. (No laundry, no doing things around the house, just sit and watch) because of everything I read about it.

I .... didn't get the hype at all. It was ok...OK.... it was a comic book movie. It wasn't Schindlers List 2, like people were saying. And it wasn't any better or worse than any other comic book movie.

As some one who grew up reading comics it was cool to see X-men and spider man get made into decent movies. In the mid 90’s you wouldn’t have expected quality comic book flicks just 5 years off. The last few decades I’ve seen some others I like but many just felt like CGI filled money grabs. Different companies owning the rights to various characters and now the  whole multiverse thing means they can literally go anywhere with it which to me is sloppy. 32 years between Keaton’s Batman and the twilight guy movies and there have been 6 different guys playing Batman. Seems all over the place to me and like TORS I think some were greatly overrated (people saying black panther should have won serious awards) while future ones I may catch on a flight if at all.