• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bowden: “[The Angels] are fielding phone calls and they are listening [on Ohtani]”

mmc

22 hours ago, stormngt said:

First off, I agree we should consider trading Ward.  I think his value is at his highest.

Second, Ward has had more than a single year of average production:

2020:  716 OPs

2021:  769

2020:  866

And his numbers have improved every season.

Looking at those numbers, I would say they've done the exact opposite.

Arte is about to screw himself over. He'll offer a ridiculous amount of money to Ohtani (which he deserves), but then will be spending the majority of payroll on 3 guys. And 2 of them can't stay healthy.

If we thought the Angels were a headache of a team the last few years then just waiting for this impending shit show.

Edited by angelsnationtalk

1 hour ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Arte is about to screw himself over. He'll offer a ridiculous amount of money to Ohtani (which he deserves), but then will be spending the majority of payroll on 3 guys. And 2 of them can't stay healthy.

If we thought the Angels were a headache of a team the last few years then just waiting for this impending shit show.

I believe Ohtani will test free agency. Angels have so many holes to fill on this team and star players cannot stay healthy. Last 2 months Ohtani may be going it alone again in this lineup. If it's about building a winning team, you cannot have 3 players eat so much of payroll.

On 7/23/2022 at 10:45 PM, wopphil said:

Sounds like I am in the minority here, but I’d listen on offers for Ohtani. I love the guy - he is the most exciting player in baseball and seems like a good guy - but I consider trading him for these reasons: 

• This team isn’t going to be competitive before he turns 30 and enters the downside of his career.
  • His value is largely based on his pitching. He is an arm injury away from being just a solid DH. He is a very risky player. 
  • He will cost a fortune to extend.
  • The team has too much money already tied up in Trout and Rendon. Dedicating over half a team’s payroll to three guys is imprudent.
  • He could potentially bring us back two or three impact players that will set up the team much better for 2025 and beyond (when they will potentially be competitive again).

So I would listen on offers. I wouldn’t move him just to move him, but if I was overwhelmed by an offer, I’d pull the trigger. 

You have a good head on your shoulders. We can't win even with Ohtani now and if he goes to another team and all we get is a sandwich round pick for him then we really screwed the pooch on this one. The Nationals did that with Bryce Harper and they aren't going to let it happen with Juan Soto so lets not have to learn from our own mistakes and we can learn from The Nationals.

He's going to cost 35million + per year and if he gets injured then it's going to be just terrible.  It will suck to see him succeed on another team that's true, but we could possibly get 3-4 players with really good value for Ohtani and will be making a ton less money than Ohtani will be making. We could really turn the franchise around if the pieces we can get for Ohtani turn out to be worth while.

We've seen that with The Red Sox that Mookie wanted out of Boston and they didn't get an amazing return for him but honestly they could have done worse by letting him walk away for just one draft pick as compensation.

Ohtani is the equivalent of two players, so you can justify paying him as such. For now...

But injury is a real risk, and potentially you could end up losing the services or effectiveness of those two players. But still have to keep paying long term. So it's a very tentative equation. 

As well, long term will his arm hold out with 100 MPH fastballs? Ten years? Unlikely. Five years? Who knows. He should still be good with his arsenal, but as a six day pitcher you don't get maximum value on the mound. So he has to remain an above average hitting threat.

As a hitter he currently is very good, but not great. As a DH you could find value with older, slower veteran hitters at a fraction of the cost.

So Ohtani will really justify being the highest paid player in history primarily if his pitching remains excellent. If he was in a situation like a few years ago when he only could DH he wouldn't be worth anywhere near what he will demand. 

He already has had serious injury problems, so there has to be a degree of blind faith that he won't be impaired or shut down again. A risk with all athletes, but one that increases with age. Look at the incremental wear and tear on Trout, who has just entered his thirties. 

Arte made the commitment to have Trout as the long term face of the franchise. And is paying accordingly. Can any team have two if the very highest paid players long term and still build and sustain a winner? You'll need a smart and efficient organization, top to bottom, to fill in tbe other positions and not have albatross contracts or a group of cheap, but fringe players. 

I would think Trout would have some input with management/Arte about the future of the team. He did before he extended and you would think his opinions would matter now.

It wouldn't be surprising either if Ohtani and his management team haven't thought all this through. And have gamed out various options. Maybe they are still patient and have faith that this year is an aberation and next year will be better. Or maybe they already are looking elsewhere. Who knows? 

Arte has control for a year and a half. Trades are usually made in the off-season and at deadlines. So he has two deadlines and one off-seasons to think about. Some teams are desperate at deadlines, but rarely are blockbuster trades made with a player as elite as Ohtani. But anything can happen. 

Some team somewhere, will make Ohtani the highest paid player in history. I'm not sure that fits with the Angels current trajectory, but it didn't really with Trout either. Perhaps Ohtani actually enjoys the environment, lifestyle, and has faith and loyalty to the team. Trout did. So you just never know where this is going.

Purely objectively the team can be better long term if they get the right mix in a trade. But there are other intangibles too. The team is infinitely more interesting to watch with Ohtani. He transcends the team for the public, yet is the best player. And the biggest international star. Which generates more income and attention. That fades a lot without him.

This soap opera is reminiscent of the Trout saga. Without Philly being the obvious rival. So we shall see what we shall see. 

I'd like him to stay, try and create a legacy that lasts a hundred years. Sometimes you remember things like that more than team results.  But the possibility of a flame out at any time is also real. The longer he can sustain his play, the odds of the Angels eventually fielding a quality team around him get better. Hopefully ...

1 hour ago, case said:

You have a good head on your shoulders. We can't win even with Ohtani now and if he goes to another team and all we get is a sandwich round pick for him then we really screwed the pooch on this one. The Nationals did that with Bryce Harper and they aren't going to let it happen with Juan Soto so lets not have to learn from our own mistakes and we can learn from The Nationals.

He's going to cost 35million + per year and if he gets injured then it's going to be just terrible.  It will suck to see him succeed on another team that's true, but we could possibly get 3-4 players with really good value for Ohtani and will be making a ton less money than Ohtani will be making. We could really turn the franchise around if the pieces we can get for Ohtani turn out to be worth while.

We've seen that with The Red Sox that Mookie wanted out of Boston and they didn't get an amazing return for him but honestly they could have done worse by letting him walk away for just one draft pick as compensation.

Miguel Cabrera trade from Marlins is exhibit A of what can happen if trading a star player away.

The only guys Miami got that ever did anything were Andrew Miller and Cameron Maybin, and neither did much for Miami before seeing better days elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Miguel Cabrera trade from Marlins is exhibit A of what can happen if trading a star player away.

The only guys Miami got that ever did anything were Andrew Miller and Cameron Maybin, and neither did much for Miami before seeing better days elsewhere.

Sure it can happen but it's better than what Washington got for Harper.

4 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Lmfao Betts is not even on Ohtani level and plus they got out of  price contract 

Lets say we sign Ohtani then we have literally zero money for anyone and our team is trash even with him and Trout healthy so what are we going to do ? Trade him for useful pieces that are almost major league ready and we can have 6 years of control over or some guys who are already at mlb level with 4-5 years left of control.  Ohtani is going to cost a ton to retain. We are already paying Trout a kings ransom. If Ohtani gets hurt and walks or if we sign him and gets hurt and is only a .250 hitter and can't pitch anymore we are going to wish we traded him at his peak. 

I would at least listen to see what kinda offers come pouring in.  I bet some of them will be tempting. Maybe we can even get a team to take on Rendon's contract with an Ohtani trade.

On 7/23/2022 at 12:49 PM, Angelsjunky said:

Of course Minasian is listening. And he's probably going to get some tempting offers.

I mean, what if the Blue Jays offer Gabriel Moreno (a 60 FV catcher, can platoon with Stassi now), Bo Bichette (SS solved), and a couple 45 FV prospects?

What if the Yankees offer Luis Severino, Anthony Volpe (60 FV SS prospect), and Jasson Dominguez (50 FV)?

What if the Dodgers offer a 200-page manual on how to scout and develop a farm system, and throw in any five prospects of the Angels choosing?

Not saying that the above will or should happen, just that Perry will and should listen.

Any deal with the Dodgers would have to include Andrew Friedman coming our way. 

If they trade Ohtani it would actually be the first move the team has made in over a decade that signaled they might be on the right track.

Let's be honest, with the way this team has been run into the ground under Moreno at no point would those Angels have considered trading a player like Ohtani.