• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jerry Dipoto: ''One bad streak away from considering all options.''

We're ten games out now. You're saying that without Trout we would have lost ten of the 33 games we have won to this point, giving us a worse record than the Marlins. Trout is a terrific player, but he's not that good. A 10 WAR over 33 games?

Yes that's exactly where we would be without Trout in this lineup. Trout is the lineup. Its laughable how much better he is compared to Pujols and Hamilton. If Trout ever sees a long stint on the DL they're F'd. Trout gives them a chance to win each and every game. It must be tough for all the overpaid underachievers to watch. I'm sure the chemistry in that clubhouse must be a challenge with a 21 year old kid making everyone else look like they're standing still. This team as it's structured is in trouble for the longhaul.

In Hamiltown's defense, I can definitely see the point he is trying to make.  This team is in A LOT of payroll trouble for the next 5 years.  They will be paying hundreds of millions to 2 particular players that won't help them win, players that will probably cause them to suck even more while they are allowed to play. 

I don't think we necessarily need to shred a lot of payroll to win. We just need to make smarter choices instead of thinking the best all around player (historically) on the free agent market is going to help us win. There are a fair number of teams right now that are winning with considerably lower payroll.

In preparing this team for next year Dipotto (and Arte) need to take a step back and look at some other organizations that are very successful using players that  are not expensive (Rays, A's, Giants, Pirates) and understand what it really takes to build a winning team.

Arte is going to have to bite the bullet on those contracts but don't for a minute thing that getting rid of payroll so we can go out and try another expensive player is going to make any difference. There are lots of deals to be had if our GM will really do his homework and stop looking at the higher tier FA. We can probably have a really good team with the current pieces plus some really smart low cost choices. Hamilton may end up like Wells as a part time player. Pujols will always be in there but don't expect the world from him.

Why mark?  It's not like he's been successful so far.  I hope all options for dipoto includes considering his own performance.  

First off, it's only been a year and a half. We were not in good shape when he got here.

Secondly, I'm not convinced that most of the problems (Pujols & Hamilton) were entirely Dipoto's idea.

Thirdly, while Blanton was his idea, he has not performed to even his career norms, and not much more than an average fifth starter was or should have been expected of him.

Fourthly, Madson was a gamble. Not exactly an expensive one, either. And it's not Dipoto's fault that the normally healthy Burnett has not been healthy. There certainly were no injury issues before this year.

Fifthly, I believe that most of us would agree that he has been successful with trades. Greinke was a gamble that didn't work out, but it certainly wasn't Dipoto's fault the team didn't make the postseason last year, and anybody who thought that Segura would be as good as he's been thus far would have been smoking crack. Frieri was certainly a successful trade, in that we gave up next to nothing for him, Vargas was looking like a great trade before his unfortunate blood clot derailed things. Iannetta is a player that fits into his stated mold (someone who works the count and get on base), which is also why I can't believe that Pujols and Hamilton were his idea.

In Hamiltown's defense, I can definitely see the point he is trying to make.  This team is in A LOT of payroll trouble for the next 5 years.  They will be paying hundreds of millions to 2 particular players that won't help them win, players that will probably cause them to suck even more while they are allowed to play. 

To have ANY shot at abandoning even just 50% of those contracts it would have to include Trout.  Things aren't going to get any better before Trout becomes a FA.  I'm not saying they should do it, I'm just saying that Hamiltown's logic isn't as crazy as you all are saying.

His point is definitely far less ludicrous than many other scenarios I've read around here.

However, Trout, Albert, and Josh aren't going anywhere until they say so.

We should look forward to a fun second half, replace a few parts in the off-season, and get after it next year. It's what baseball teams that don't make the playoffs do.   

He still did the deals.  He still sat up there with a big smile on his face and took credit for the big three.  It's his team.  Most of the pitchers are his acquisitions, catcher, left field and 1b were all his acquisitions.  Another thing, what players are performing best for this team?

Not Dipoto's acquisitions, that is for sure.  I'm not saying he should get dumped, but to dismiss the idea out of hand seems myopic at best.

If Dipoto is going to "consider all options", he better include finding a new manager.  That should be the first thing to consider.

Will this new manager of whom you speak find Weaver's old fast ball, dissolve JV's blood clots, heal Madson and Burnett and make Hanson and Blanton quality starting pitchers?  Pitching is this team's problem. 

Why in hell would Dipoto come out with that statement after last nights great win. This GM is nothing but a loser as far as I am concerned. We need a big change in that area and now.

This is the statement that I point to when I question austin's sanity.

He still did the deals.  He still sat up there with a big smile on his face and took credit for the big three.  It's his team.  Most of the pitchers are his acquisitions, catcher, left field and 1b were all his acquisitions.  Another thing, what players are performing best for this team?

Not Dipoto's acquisitions, that is for sure.  I'm not saying he should get dumped, but to dismiss the idea out of hand seems myopic at best.

Left field was his acquisition? He drafted Trout? Well, if that's the case, he should get a LOT of credit.

The correct term is "President of Meatball Operations".

I thought that was the pitching coach.

No, he’d be the “Vice President of Meatball Organization”… or would that be Rob Picciolo? Making Butcher the “Secretary of Defense of Meatball Organization”… I think?