• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels lead MLB in (batting) strikeouts

8 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I just want an explanation other than "They suck". No shit. 

Why do they strike out looking so much? What is their approach? Has it changed? Am I going insane?

I think the answer legitimately is that they suck. I mean Ohtani and Trout are just 2 guys out of 9 in the lineup, we are pretty much seeing shit all day long so that when Trout K's too we just get crap overload.

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I just want an explanation other than "They suck". No shit. 

Why do they strike out looking so much? What is their approach? Has it changed? Am I going insane?

Their approach is terrible.

Screw the count, screw the situation, the batters must go up there with the mentality that they are going up there to swing at the best pitch they get. 

They don't do that, they watch strikes then swing at junk.

Add to that what baffles me is how many times they swing through pitches right down the pipe and you see the results.

Here’s something to show how bad things are; Taijuan Walker goes 6 innings against our halos on the 12th of June and strikes out 10! In six innings. 10 angels in six innings!!! He pitches against these astros earlier this week and strikes out 3 in 7 and 1/3 innings. Does the front office, perry, aware of this shit?

11 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Also, it's not just the bottom of the order.

Strikeouts in isolation are not REALLY the problem.  I don’t care if Trout or Ohtani strike out 200 times each if they have productive offensive seasons.

Strikeouts are only an issue if they prevent you from being good offensively.

That guy has 95 strikeouts in 70 innings.  If he is on, he is capable of having an outing like that.

They lost 8-1.  If you give up 8 runs you are probably going to lose.

Anyway, the lineup sucks not because they strike out.  The overall lineup sucks because most games as many as 6 guys in the lineup can’t do much damage even if they don’t strike out.

Going through the numbers on fangraphs and statcast but nothing totally stands out to explain the high k rate.  

Trout is up at his career high
Ward is about where you'd expect based on his AAA numbers and years past.
Shohei is actually down below his normal
Marsh well above what you'd expect from his minor league numbers
Rendon was a little above his normal
Stassi is at his normal
Walsh is up a bit from last year but not a ton
Suzuki is well above his normal
Duffy is a decent chunk above his normal
Velazquez is really high but about what you'd expect for being such a terrible hitter
Wade is a bit below his normal

but the cumulative is that it's a team effort really.  

The one thing that caught my eye is that their expected stats for slg, ba and wOBA are all much higher than their actual.  Especially the slg.  So I guess it could be that they are being encouraged to swing full on every pitch they do swing at and not adjust to a shortened approach with two strikes.  It should be working better than it is but they're either getting unlucky somehow or they have become very predictable and therefore much easier to defend.  

The other possibility is bad intel.  Anecdotally, they do often seem surprised by various pitches thrown to them whether they swing or not.  But their approach seems to always be about making hard contact.  And it most cases, they are more than the rest of the league.  It's just still resulting in more outs than expected.  

32 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Strikeouts in isolation are not REALLY the problem.  I don’t care if Trout or Ohtani strike out 200 times each if they have productive offensive seasons.

Strikeouts are only an issue if they prevent you from being good offensively.

That guy has 95 strikeouts in 70 innings.  If he is on, he is capable of having an outing like that.

They lost 8-1.  If you give up 8 runs you are probably going to lose.

Anyway, the lineup sucks not because they strike out.  The overall lineup sucks because most games as many as 6 guys in the lineup can’t do much damage even if they don’t strike out.

I don't know how you can possibly think this. They lead the majors in strikeouts. You can't score if you aren't putting the ball in play.

9 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I don't know how you can possibly think this. They lead the majors in strikeouts. You can't score if you aren't putting the ball in play.

It's a fair point.  They've whiffed about 100 times more than the avg. team.  So we're talkin' about 20 more hits and a handful of additional walks (assuming contact and fouled pitches and all that).  But you can't totally assume the same outcome on the pitches they did put into play if they changed their approach to whiff less.  

21 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

It takes one home run to score.  It takes three singles.  Baseball today is more about the balance between power and strikeouts rather than contact versus no contact.

The Angels outside of Trout and Ohtani do not have the power to offset the lack of contact.

The problem is not the lack of contact but the lack of power.

You can score runs with no power, but then you need guys that have .400 OB and .300 batting averages.  In todays game, might as well as well wish for unicorns.

Strikeouts are only a problem if you are not a dangerous hitter.  And then the real problem is you are not a dangerous hitter.

Edited by Dtwncbad

4 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

It's a fair point.  They've whiffed about 100 times more than the avg. team.  So we're talkin' about 20 more hits and a handful of additional walks (assuming contact and fouled pitches and all that).  But you can't totally assume the same outcome on the pitches they did put into play if they changed their approach to whiff less.  

Well no, but clearly striking out as much as they do is a problem.

They've been awful in 1-run games. 20 hits could be 3-4 wins.