• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LAT: If the Angels hire a new manager, here’s their guy

2 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Minasian wasn’t the GM when Ausmus was hired, so the Bobby Valentine connection wasn’t there at that time.

La Russa hadn't expressed interest in being a manager again when Ausmus was hired.

That’s a logical assumption, but who is to say that Arte won’t do something illogical?

It’s also possible that Arte could lose trust in Minasian in the time between Maddon’s firing and the offseason. Perry’s horrible job building position player depth is getting exposed right now and could be one of many reasons for Arte to start losing trust in Minasian.

If Minasian has been “exposed”then why would he trust LaRussa when his team was one of the favorites in the AL and they a similar record to us, that is exposure as well. 

Just now, Stradling said:

If Minasian has been “exposed”then why would he trust LaRussa when his team was one of the favorites in the AL and they a similar record to us, that is exposure as well. 

I don’t know. I’m not Arte Moreno.

All I know is that a lot of people in MLB get jobs based on connections, and Moreno has a connection to La Russa.

I’m just connecting the dots. Not saying it’ll happen, but saying it could be a possibility and disputing your belief that there is “zero reason to believe they’d even get an interview” when there is in fact a reason.

12 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I don’t know. I’m not Arte Moreno.

But you seem to know what he wants.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

I doubt the Angels end up hiring a first-time manager this offseason if they don’t bring Nevin back because of one person: Arte.

Arte is gonna want another “name” and will point towards the lack of success by Ausmus and Nevin (in an extremely small and unfair sample) as the reason why he wants experience (even though Maddon didn’t work out).

4 hours ago, Trendon said:

I doubt the Angels end up hiring a first-time manager this offseason if they don’t bring Nevin back because of one person: Arte.

Arte is gonna want another “name” and will point towards the lack of success by Ausmus and Nevin (in an extremely small and unfair sample) as the reason why he wants experience (even though Maddon didn’t work out).

Ausmus had four full seasons of managing experience prior to being hired by the Angels.  He was more Mike Matheny than Phil Nevin but your point stands, if Arte is part of the process it could be problematic.

37 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Ausmus had four full seasons of managing experience prior to being hired by the Angels.  He was more Mike Matheny than Phil Nevin but your point stands, if Arte is part of the process it could be problematic.

Yeah, Ausmus had experience, but he did not have the name value that Arte likes.

Arte needs to let the GM, whoever it may be, hire his own guy. But I worry that he won’t since he has shown his willingness to interfere before.

29 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

Considering the roster, I think Nevin is doing OK.  If we make a move for a starter, and a SS, the season might yet turn out OK.  

If not, Erstad would be a great choice for a manager.  It doesn't feel like there has been the urgency to win since Scioscia left. 

LOL...except for their comments about doing all they can to reach the post-season this year to appease both Trout & Othani. As with the former already committed...Fatassian is going to have to sell the latter on whoever the next hire is to get him to resign...

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

Yeah, Ausmus had experience, but he did not have the name value that Arte likes.

Arte needs to let the GM, whoever it may be, hire his own guy. But I worry that he won’t since he has shown his willingness to interfere before.

He’s hired two managers and one has name value, but really he was brought here because he had name value and was an Angel that Arte was familiar with. If he wants name value he will bring Scioscia back. No one has more name value than him in Anaheim. 

Honest question about Erstad and just college coaches in general.   How many college coaches at a single school for 5+ years without making it to the college world series have ever produced at the Major League level?  The two sports (college and pro's) are completely different and he's only shown moderate success in the former and has no experience in the ladder.  His biggest selling point is he made the Dodgers top three, but since then he's been out of baseball for the most part.  Doesn't hiring someone with that pedigree (please imagine his name wasn't Darrin Eristad) really leave you scratching your head?