• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 5:48 PM, Sam Sanchez said:

So how'd you like it?

First off, I'll just say that Season 3 of Twin Peaks might be my favorite thing I've seen on TV, though admittedly, I'm not a big TV watcher.

The finale definitely raises more questions than it answers but definitely leaves a ton to think over. It felt like Episode 17 was the real finale, and episode 18 was the beginning of something else that we may never get a continuation of. A lot of threads left dangling, but I can't say I'm disappointed at all personally.

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:53 PM, Homebrewer said:

Is it possible to watch the NEW Twin Peaks without having seen the original 2 seasons?

So...I decided to watch the original seasons of Twin Peaks. To call it "campy" is an understatement...but I still have somehow gotten into it. Just started season 2 this week.

Sherlyn Fenn is about as hot a female as was ever created.

On flight from SF to Helsinki I watched 3 movies:

- Land of Mine: a danish movie about how they used german POWs to find the 45,000 land mines left of the beaches of denmark. the danish military guy was supposed to just view the POWs as disposable meat, but when they get there they are basically teenagers. was fantastic. pretty sad also. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3841424/combined

- Iron Grandpa: a finnish documentary about an old dude who is like the ex strongman and never wants to stop. pretty good. 

- The Revenant: still good.

At this point I'm wasted on the open bar, didn't watch much after revenant. 

On the flight from Stockholm to London to SF (on the new double-decker airbus a380, OMG) I watched 5 movies.

- Hacksaw Ridge: loved it.

- CHiPS: didn't hate it. had some funny parts.

- Live by Night: the ben afflec film noir. it sucked.

- Mad World: a depressing chinese movie about a kid (mid-20s) who goes bi polar and kills his dimentia-riddled mom after she drives him insane because his dad and brother just bail. the kid then spends a year in an insane asylum and movies in with his dad. damn good.

- Victoria: french movie about a blonde lawyer chick who is a sex-addict raising two daughters by herself, she's smart and going though sort of a midlife crisis. i enjoyed it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5078214/

On 9/20/2017 at 9:20 AM, Homebrewer said:

So...I decided to watch the original seasons of Twin Peaks. To call it "campy" is an understatement...but I still have somehow gotten into it. Just started season 2 this week.

Sherlyn Fenn is about as hot a female as was ever created.

Yeah, it's definitely campy. Basically created as somewhat of a riff on soap operas, but with Lynch touches. Season 2 becomes WAYYY more campy, and frankly bad after episode 8 or 9. The new season is a huge shift in tone but still feels in the same universe somehow.

48 minutes ago, Sam Sanchez said:

Yeah, it's definitely campy. Basically created as somewhat of a riff on soap operas, but with Lynch touches. Season 2 becomes WAYYY more campy, and frankly bad after episode 8 or 9. The new season is a huge shift in tone but still feels in the same universe somehow.

Speaking of Lynch, I got a ton of Eraserhead vibes from Mother! which was a lot of fun.

On 9/20/2017 at 6:11 PM, mrwicked said:

On flight from SF to Helsinki I watched 3 movies:

- Land of Mine: a danish movie about how they used german POWs to find the 45,000 land mines left of the beaches of denmark. the danish military guy was supposed to just view the POWs as disposable meat, but when they get there they are basically teenagers. was fantastic. pretty sad also. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3841424/combined

- Iron Grandpa: a finnish documentary about an old dude who is like the ex strongman and never wants to stop. pretty good. 

- The Revenant: still good.

At this point I'm wasted on the open bar, didn't watch much after revenant. 

On the flight from Stockholm to London to SF (on the new double-decker airbus a380, OMG) I watched 5 movies.

- Hacksaw Ridge: loved it.

- CHiPS: didn't hate it. had some funny parts.

- Live by Night: the ben afflec film noir. it sucked.

- Mad World: a depressing chinese movie about a kid (mid-20s) who goes bi polar and kills his dimentia-riddled mom after she drives him insane because his dad and brother just bail. the kid then spends a year in an insane asylum and movies in with his dad. damn good.

- Victoria: french movie about a blonde lawyer chick who is a sex-addict raising two daughters by herself, she's smart and going though sort of a midlife crisis. i enjoyed it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5078214/

Nice review...and jealous of helsinki

3 hours ago, Sam Sanchez said:

I've been wanting to go see mother! Been hearing very mixed things but that sounds like a positive for me for that kind of movie.

I think Eraserhead is a superior movie from a writing standpoint, but I quite enjoyed mother. I'm always a fan of directors who shoot for symbolism and subtext without drifting too far into being pretentious. Aronofsky straddles the line but keeps it together here - though I'm a big fan of everything he's done outside of Noah.  

9 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I couldn't really get into Narcos, but I have been wanting to check out Ozark... looks solid

when it's good, it's good. but drags at points and seems drawn out. almost like how everyone knows his story and how it ends so they are trying to draw it out as long as possible. I'll finish it, but kind of forcing myself to.

20 minutes ago, mrwicked said:

I haven't checked out narcos or ozark either, will add them to my list.

i still want to check out deadwood, i heard that was awesome.

dude! I've said the same thing and have started it three times and never get past the first episode. no reason, just never set aside the time or something else pops up.

it's only three seasons too. no excuse to not cancel bingo for two nights and knock this out.

15 hours ago, mrwicked said:

Haven't seen any of those new star wars movies. Or the comic book ones.

I'm stoked for IT, I loved the original miniseries. Gonna check it out this weekend at Alamo Drafthouse, should go good with cocktails and ribs.

Drafthouse is the shizzzzzz, no?

Unless we're hitting an IMAX screening, it's where we head. LA is getting one soon.

3 hours ago, Tank said:

you know what i watched yesterday? about 350 miles of I-5.

would it have killed them to have planted a few trees here and there? man, what a friggin' boring drive. and i have four years left to drive it . . .

i did it for four years when i was at cal. i still do it once in a blue moon now as it can be somewhat cathartic. 

suggestions:
- do it super late at night, there is no traffic. even better if you do what i did in college: have a sweet 1992 25th anniversary edition camaro RS and play the knight rider theme song as you sail through the night. johnny cash is good too. and also goth/industrial music and dark trance stuff. and plenty of monster energy drinks. 

- ALWAYS stop at harris ranch, fantastic steak, and the best burgers in california. 

- get pea soup at pea soup andersons. they have cans you can buy too, but its nothing like the fresh stuff. 

- there is a carl's jr in gorman in the grapevine. numerous times ive leaned against my car, eating a western bacon cheeseburger, with light snow falling down on me. the california dream right?

- at the truck stop in kettleman city they have an arcade. i played a heated match of street fighter 2 turbo against a guy with one arm at 3am one time. i lost... but really i won.

- there is an in-n-out near avenal. speaking of avenal, one time i let my buddy drive and he got ticketed going 105. since it was over 100 it was either spend a weekend in jail, or pay a fine and then come back every weekend for the next couple months and do light work. he chose the latter. so his next 8 weekends involved hanging out in avenal and like sweeping the firehouse parking lot. 

- or take the 101. or even better take the 1 along the coast and spread the trek out over a few days.