• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2022-2023 Anaheim Ducks Thread

gotbeer

9 hours ago, arch stanton said:

It seems that they'll have to get rid of Eakins and get a coach who can properly organize them defensively in order to prove Gibson can still play if they want any value in return

Yeah, and until then why do anything with Gibson. There's just nothing in it for Verbeek to make a move. Yet.

I think Eakins stays until he's used up his usefulness. I don't think Verbeek would have kept him around if he thought he was a detriment to the Ducks development plans. At some point the gathering of base talent and the transition of Murrey kind of guys to Verbeek kind of guys is complete. Until then, expect to see team building decisions, not team optimizing moves.

23 minutes ago, deepdrive said:

Yeah, and until then why do anything with Gibson. There's just nothing in it for Verbeek to make a move. Yet.

I think Eakins stays until he's used up his usefulness. I don't think Verbeek would have kept him around if he thought he was a detriment to the Ducks development plans. At some point the gathering of base talent and the transition of Murrey kind of guys to Verbeek kind of guys is complete. Until then, expect to see team building decisions, not team optimizing moves.

But that's the thing.  Have our young guys improved under Eakins?  Outside of Z and Terry, I would say no.  Comtois had that good first year, but regressed the second year and has looked average the third year.  Moments of greatness, but only brief moments.  Lundestrom has definitely regressed.  Drysdale didn't look that hot before the injury.  McTavish is languishing on the fourth line.  

This team is in last place, really more of a continuation from the end of last season, than the hope of the beginning of last season.

If Beeker has a choice for coach (hopefully Gronborg) which I'm sure he has, it's better to do it so he can settle in for the season, than just make the young players frustrated with a crap season.  

And it's only going to get worse in the season when the eventual trades happen.  

I think we're seeing things a little different on some of these players right now. As fans, we have such limited info on personal and org stuff, that we have to make a lot of assumptions. And some assumptions we are individually making are probably different right now.

For example, the five guys you mentioned.

We seem to agree Z and Terry are developing adequately. Which is big, because these are our two marquee players right now.

Comtois is how you portray him. But, from the limited info I have gathered, that's on Comtois. Some guys need more structure and attention. He didn't get that in the Murray system. I think you have to give Verbeek/Eakins at least this full season to see how the Comtois situation plays out (I would include Jones here too, somewhat. Different guy; different set of circumstances, but similarities in their present situation)

We disagree on Lundestrom - somewhat. I don't see a development problem here. I see a lack of team talent causing him to be on a line where he is consistently the only scoring talent. The Ducks pass it off by calling it their shut down line. What did the guy have 21 goals last year? Put him with Terry and he's a 25-35 goal scorer. There is no way the line mates he is given to work with doesn't mess with his head. Played to his potential last year; becoming a little burned out this year. Once again, let's see how he handles it over a full season.

MacTavish is caught in a bad situation. That's on the NHL, not Verbeek or Eakins. The guy should be in the AHL. He's too good to waste a year in juniors, but not ready to succeed at the NHL level yet. But because of the present structure has to be at one or the other. So, he's developing at the NHL level. And, I think doing just fine there. I mean, we're not talking a Shane Wright situation. It's a long season, MacTavish will get plenty of ice time to develop. I don't think he benefits from playing so much that you risk overwhelming him.

Drysdale was just at the beginning of his second season. I think the Ducks pushed him to focus on developing his defensive abilities (Hence, the absence of offense.) Guys like Maker, Seider, ...  are the exception. Most guys (especially defensive smaller guys) need until 24-25 to develop into who they are going to be as a NHL player.

So, is Eakins the future of the Ducks? I would say no. Is he the right guy for now? I don't know. I don't have privy to the insider info I would need to make a good assessment. Verbeek thinks he's okay and I don't see a big reason at this point to disagree. So, I'm good with where we're going - for now.

The day after.

Gibswim is so much better when he stays on his feet and knees and minimizes the rebounds.  

Benoit and Regenda were noticable last night.

McTavish also made some smart plays last night, and that PP goal was pretty.  He has a pretty wicked one timer that hasn't been utilized at all this season.  Even Rico had some good one time shots.  This team really needs to shoot more and pass less.

Klingberg finally on the board.  Another player that really needs to shoot more as he gets a lot of pucks through to the goalie.  Hopefully this starts his trade upgrade status going.

Good to see Carrick back.  He's going to need a few to get in the flow.  But his sandpaper is needed on this team.