• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jason Vargas: Sign to an extension or trade for prospects?

Chuck

Extend Vargas or Trade Him?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you sign Vargas to an extension or trade him for prospects?

• Extend him
    • Trade him

I'd say keep him. 

What better options do we have? I don't think this team goes into a rebuilding process so the only way they trade him is if he doesn't accept an extension or somebody is desperate for a starter. He's a reliable starter and we don't have much minor league depth to just let him go. If a team offers a B level prospect out of being desperate then I say go for trading. 

Assuming fair market value on a trade or an extension, I say trade him.

This team isn't one or two pieces away and the farm system is decimated. We aren't winning the division in the near future with a team that nearly everyone (Trout and Bourjos excepted) is in their prime or past their prime. This team is going to get worse before it gets better. I think it's better to lower payroll and rebuild the farm quickly than to add more payroll trying to fight our way out of the quicksand and just burying ourselves deeper in it. Trade everyone you can not named Trout. Will be be the Pirates of the last 20 years for 2 or 3 years? Yes. But if we can get enough good AA or AAA players we could be the A's of the last two season by year 3 or 4.

I think we extend him if we can.  He's a good innings eater that fits our ballpark.  Unless someone steps in and blows us away with an offer, it'd be better to have a solid pitcher get us through a couple of thin years while we rebuild the farm than being forced to sign more Blantons.

If he won't extend, it might be worth it to make a qualifying offer, if a team will offer him a multiyear contract, it might be worth the extra draft pick after the first round. 

I'd be more tempted to trade Kendrick, than to trade Vargas. 

We have a couple of solid 2B prospects (actually really solid in Lindsey's case), but we have NOTHING in real solid pitching prospects above high-A ball.

But, if they can't get much back for Kendrick, don't trade him either.

trade.

next season is going to be just like this.

A much better way of saying what I was trying to say. Where is this team going to improve next season? Even if everything broke right this season we aren't a good team. This isn't a young team that we should expect a lot of improvement from our current players. Bringing back these same guys seems like a bad way to win next season and won't help us get better 3-4 years down the line.

This is a tough question.  Will the Angels be competitive next season?  Also, how much is Vargas going to ask for?  Do you really want to waste another year of Trumbo and Trouts control and give up on next year?  Especially since FA'cy pitchers are slim.  

With the numbers he's put up, and being a lefty, and FA'cy being slim, I think he will get a good deal.  So will he take 3/$30?  Not sure, but he is a local boy (apple valley), so maybe he is comfortable here.  

Also got to take this into account.  Prospects we trade for might not be ready for 1-3 years.  So that's 1-3 years of not helping the big club, and 1-3 years of Trumbo and Trout closer to free agency.  

IMO, I think I'm changing my mind from my previous stances earlier, and unless an offer comes out that blows you out of the water, you keep him.  Offer him the 3/$30 to see if he bites.  Come the offseason, you offer him arbitration, so that if you lose him, you get the compensation pick.  And if he accepts, it's a one year deal, and you still try and sign him to a 3 year deal.  

Isn't he a free agent after the year? You're not going to get much for an average rental

What difference does it make? Are we getting anything signing him to an extension, finishing 3rd the next three years then letting him walk for nothing?

I think we could get a mid level top 100 prospect for him and a BP arm prospect.

It's all about how reasonable he (and his agent) might be....he's not a "must sign" but you'd sure like to wrap him up for a few years at a reasonable rate....as somebody said in this thread, we aren't exactly loaded with options...you'd like to think he'd be inclined to stay for a decent contract.....

Guess it depends on where we are.

But lets assume we did trade him....   Since he started the year with us, there wouldn't be any loss of picks if we signed him in the offseason.   So why not trade him, get some talent, then sign him in the off-season?

Angels need to be as creative as possible to get talent into the system.  If they can find a way to work the current CBA, they should.

Guess it depends on where we are.

But lets assume we did trade him....   Since he started the year with us, there wouldn't be any loss of picks if we signed him in the offseason.   So why not trade him, get some talent, then sign him in the off-season?

Angels need to be as creative as possible to get talent into the system.  If they can find a way to work the current CBA, they should.

Not a bad thought at all.....but I guess the concern is that, if you trade him, there is no guarantee you get him back---he might like the team he gets traded to or his value may go up and he may decide to milk the market for every penny, Boras style....signing him, at a reasonable rate, is a guarantee of a solid middle of the rotation guy behind Weaver and Wilson....Hanson hasn't been half bad so that would give us 4 pretty decent starters....and we need them, we have very little on the farm....