• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels going with an internal competition for SS

mmc

• mmc changed the title to Angels going with an internal competition for SS
2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Always a good idea to have an open competition between four guys when spring training is shortened. I'm sure this will all turn out fine. 

We all knew this would happen, just like we all know they'll get hot at the end of the season and reach the 80 win mark.

This is one Angels move in actually in favor of. The available SS crop is either way overpaid or just plain sucks. 

Rengifo has some upside. Vasquez can do some things. Mayfield has shown flashes, as had Wade. 

Comparatively, this is the best move Perry can make. 

Now the starting pitching on the other hand...

What did Adrelton Simmons get for his one year deal with the Chicago Cubs?

We couldn't match that?

Still one of the best defensive SS's in Halos history.

how many gold gloves have we had there? not many -- Did Fregosi ever win a gold glove?  not sure. I know that DiSar did not.

Orlando Cabrera won a gold glove with us - I thought he was great -- but Simmons took it to a whole new level -- the SS position is important and leader of the infield -- I know Simmons had some issues that were revealed after he left the Halos -- but both for Atlanta and for us - he was spectacular in the field and provided leadership just be his stellar play at SS.  Didn't really follow him much with Minnesota -- sort of a lost year - but assume he was stellar there as well.  Simmons also hit pretty well as a Halo -- hated to see him leave the Halos.

2 minutes ago, disarcina said:

What did Adrelton Simmons get for his one year deal with the Chicago Cubs?

We couldn't match that?

Still one of the best defensive SS's in Halos history.

how many gold gloves have we had there? not many -- Did Fregosi ever win a gold glove?  not sure. I know that DiSar did not.

Orlando Cabrera won a gold glove with us - I thought he was great -- but Simmons took it to a whole new level -- the SS position is important and leader of the infield -- I know Simmons had some issues that were revealed after he left the Halos -- but both for Atlanta and for us - he was spectacular in the field and provided leadership just be his stellar play at SS.  Didn't really follow him much with Minnesota -- sort of a lost year - but assume he was stellar there as well.  Simmons also hit pretty well as a Halo -- hated to see him leave the Halos.

He wasn't stellar. I also don't think he had any interest in playing for us again. 

And vice versa.

16 minutes ago, disarcina said:

Didn't really follow him much with Minnesota -- sort of a lost year - but assume he was stellar there as well.  Simmons also hit pretty well as a Halo -- hated to see him leave the Halos.

On offense, his 2021 OPS+ was the worst of his career by quite a bit. 

On defense, his fielding percentage was the second-lowest of his career in a full season. He was by no means bad, but he was not close to stellar. 

I, too, loved watching him on defense for a few years in Anaheim, but those days are gone. He was not the answer for Angels SS in 2022. 

17 minutes ago, disarcina said:
19 minutes ago, Lou said:

"He wasn't stellar "  - GEEZ - I thought he made some incredible plays out there -- especially this first season,. Won a Gold Glove. Oh well.

Expand  

Living in the past. He hasn't been great for a few years. For the record, I loved Simmons.