• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels ranked 29th in BA’s organizational talent ranking

mmc

I am not saying the Angels are in great shape.

But you do have to remember this ranking is about the farm system overall (not the majors) and it openly says it emphasizes the advanced players closest to the majors.

So you have to consider that the Angels now have quite a few recently graduated players from the minors.

If you believe the purpose of the ranking is to get a glimpse of how optimistic you should be about talent in the majors in the next couple of years, it is a fair consideration that a team that has recently graduated a good number of potentially high impact players to the majors is actually CLOSER to better days ahead than a team that has not graduated a good crop and is still waiting for them to be ready.

In no way am I saying the Angels should not be deeply committed to improving their organizational talent, but that should be true every day of the week forever.

The Angels, with where they are right now in their path to better days, are not going to score well in a system that doesn’t consider recently graduated players and underemphasizes players deeper in the minors. . . Where the Angels have definitely improved.

Bottom line is the Angels are better off today than most times recently and yet they “dropped” in this ranking.

10 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

I think it’s cool that Arte will never stop doing Arte things.  Like refusing to build a functioning professional baseball development system.  It’s shitty but it’s also sort of funny after all these years that he just keeps doing the same Arte stuff. 

4D big brain chess, my friend. The Angels are in a prime position to be 1st in the MLBPA rankings by 2027. Arte will be like 96 by then. Leaving a legacy.

11 hours ago, AlwaysAnAngelsFan said:

Don't all teams have recently graduated players? So I don't buy that explanation.

What this says to me is that the organization has not "built a bench" to backfill those slots with projectable, near MLB ready prospects.

We have young and/or unproven prospects. There continues to be a lack organizational depth.

It's the opposite.  We have org depth at the lower levels for the first time in a long time.   It's not amazing depth but good.  A bunch of guys could turn into top 100 players over the next year.  Will they?  Maybe a few.  But there is potential for that whereas a couple years ago, there wasn't

Before, it was a wasteland and a few guys at the top who were early draft guys and have since graduated.  But five years ago there wasn't a group of guys who were going to fill out AA/AAA now.  Which is why we haven't seen a reliever come from the system in forever. 

If the system is going to take a step forward then some of that depth has to step up and/or develop.  Plus recent draft and the next draft have to be good.  The Angels haven't given themselves the luxury of selling off players at the major league level to replenish the upper levels of the system.  And they probably won't any time soon.   So it's unlikely they make huge jumps any time soon. 

But they're in a much better spot to get major league contributions in the next 1-3 years than they've been in for quite some time. 

The easiest way to look at it is that they're upper minors prospects kinda suck but now more than ever, there is an indication that it could change whereas in the past, there was little hope for that and it was all about how this one guy or that one guy did.     

On 2/2/2022 at 9:11 AM, totdprods said:

🤦🏻‍♂️

Can't really dispute that. Most of our potential is tied up to really young, unproven talent.

That could be said for every teams minor league system.  I think all these rankings are crap. A teams system should be rated on how many prospects in their system turn into big leaguers. If an organization is 2 guys on average onto the 25 man roster every year, and producing, that org is doing really good.

On 2/6/2022 at 12:09 AM, AlwaysAnAngelsFan said:

Don't all teams have recently graduated players? So I don't buy that explanation.

What this says to me is that the organization has not "built a bench" to backfill those slots with projectable, near MLB ready prospects.

We have young and/or unproven prospects. There continues to be a lack organizational depth.

Exactly.  We have a huge hole in our minor leagues system. Pitching never seemed to be a priority for Eppler.  And, as I heard Taylor Blake Ward say on a podcast, you can draft really athletic guys, but they still need some significant development.  If we are waiting to see if our AZL and Low A teams play out, that mean potentially two years of waiting to see if they are keepers or have any trade value.  

I applaud one of the prior posters attempt to put a positive spin on this situation, but this seems to be a really bad situation to be in for the organization.   

It’s good to see that Law likes the pitching picks Minasian made the last draft.  But, we still have big organizational holes in infield and catching depth.      

39 minutes ago, bruin5 said:

And, as I heard Taylor Blake Ward say on a podcast, you can draft really athletic guys, but they still need some significant development.

Adding to this, Keith Law in his chat today basically said that the Angels learned the hard way that there's a difference between drafting elite athletes who have present baseball skills and drafting elite athletes who don't have present baseball skills. The Angels did the latter, and that's why they have so many premium athletes who are busts.