• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels GM Perry Minasian believes he added impact with 4 pitchers signed before lockout

5 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

I like Snydergaard and think there’s decent chance for a him to be the top shelf guy we need.  The problem of course is that this guy that is worth a roll of the dice they uhh didn’t.  So if he does end up turning out (like we hope) there’s decent risk they just lose him next year.  Anyway.  I guess our chances of keeping him long term are a bit better than they would be otherwise.  I really hope it works out with him. 

Yeah, that's a risk.  But I think Syndergaard wanted to "bet on himself" and sign a one year deal.  So while some have mentioned they'e disappointed that we signed him to a one year contract, I am assuming that was his preference.  His potential is enormous, and if he has a strong season, he can parlay it into a big contract, kind of like what Gausman just did.  I imagine if Syndergaard dominates in 2022 like he did in years past, he can easily parlay that into a 100+ million contract.

8 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Yeah, that's a risk.  But I think Syndergaard wanted to "bet on himself" and sign a one year deal.  So while some have mentioned they'e disappointed that we signed him to a one year contract, I am assuming that was his preference.  His potential is enormous, and if he has a strong season, he can parlay it into a big contract, kind of like what Gausman just did.  I imagine if Syndergaard dominates in 2022 like he did in years past, he can easily parlay that into a 100+ million contract.

Right, but that’s really why it would have been nice to get another one.  I mean why not get Jon Gray instead of letting him go to the Rangers.  We got Lorenzen as neat little project…..cool.  It’s not like Gray got a huge contract.  <shrugs> I wouldn’t be surprised if the Rangers turn him around like they did Lynn a few years ago.  Another guy the Angels passed on. 

Anyway, I’m not down on Snydergaard, I’ve said it a bunch of times that I’m glad they got him and I hope he works out and stays for a while. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Right, but that’s really why it would have been nice to get another one.  I mean why not get Jon Gray instead of letting him go to the Rangers.  We got Lorenzen as neat little project…..cool.  It’s not like Gray got a huge contract.  <shrugs> I wouldn’t be surprised if the Rangers turn him around like they did Lynn a few years ago.  Another guy the Angels passed on. 

Anyway, I’m not down on Snydergaard, I’ve said it a bunch of times that I’m glad they got him and I hope he works out and stays for a while. 

I do agree with you - I would have liked another option, too.  The caveat though is that it's still possible that we add another arm.  The offseason isn't over, just on pause for likely a very long time, followed by another quick 1-2 week signing/trade sprint before a (likely) abbreviated spring training.

If we don't have another SP option by the start of the season, I will be disappointed.

Just now, Warfarin said:

I do agree with you - I would have liked another option, too.  The caveat though is that it's still possible that we add another arm.  The offseason isn't over, just on pause for likely a very long time, followed by another quick 1-2 week signing/trade sprint before a (likely) abbreviated spring training.

If we don't have another SP option by the start of the season, I will be disappointed.

Let’s just combine powers and hope they don’t fuck up some trade.  

17 hours ago, failos said:

I’ll change my username to “I like balls” if he signs Rodon, Kershaw, or any other big name pitchers.

So would “I” be your first name and “Balls” your last or would “I like Balls” be your first name? The off-season just got interesting again.

1 minute ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I just want to add that you can’t look at what a guy signed for and assume the Angels could have gotten him for the same deal. 

Also, some states like Texas and Washington have no state income tax. 

So Ray signed a $115 million deal to pitch in Seattle, the equivalent here is $142 million after adding 13% state tax.  It isn’t that simple because you are taxed in each state you pitch in, but even if you cut that in half you are looking at close to $130 million or $26 million a season for Ray.  

Even if we presume it’s black and white dollars and cents.   Ok, so you give that difference to Gray (it’s like 15 mil a year instead of the 13 and whatever Texas is paying).  It still seems like a manageable contract for a team apparently prepared to give a guy 40 million a year.  And there’s a pretty decent chance that you get a lot more value for your dollar with Gray than you do with Scherzer.  Its obvious that the Angels or Arte don’t see it that way.  I cant really understand why - I guess thats my problem.  There’s 100 percent a spot in this rotation for a guy like him.  I can wrap my mind around not doing Stroman or Ray a lot easier than I can why they pass on a dude like Gray. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

10 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Even if we presume it’s black and white dollars and cents.   Ok, so you give that difference to Gray (it’s like 15 mil a year instead of the 13 and whatever Texas is paying).  It still seems like a manageable contract for a team apparently prepared to give a guy 40 million a year.  And there’s a pretty decent chance that you get a lot more value for your dollar with Gray than you do with Scherzer.  Its obvious that the Angels or Arte don’t see it that way.  I cant really understand why - I guess thats my problem.  There’s 100 percent a spot in this rotation for a guy like him.  I can wrap my mind around not doing Stroman or Ray a lot easier than I can why they pass on a dude like Gray. 

This is just my take on the situation. There’s a budget.  We have zero contracts that we can trade off, none.  So bringing on a guy like Gray prevents you from a real upgrade if one prevents itself and stay on budget. So if the budget is $200 million you can’t get Gray, a SS another pen arm, a back up catcher, then trade for Castillo if the price comes down.  

16 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

You just don't know any of this. For most guys, it's not only dollars and cents. Some guys just want to play for one team or don't want to play for another team, for whatever reason. So you can't just assume that the Angels could have had anyone they wanted.

Remember Zack Wheeler? The deal with him was his wife was pregnant so he wanted to be on the East Coast. You usually don't know why deals don't happen.

It's also possible that the Angels know something about the guy that makes them not want a certain pitcher. The world freaked out when they passed on Kumar Rocker too. A bunch of the other free agents in past years that fans wanted ended up being busts or bad deals. (Strasburg, Corbin, Bumgarner, Keuchel, etc.)

Also, maybe they did want Gray and did want him at that price, but they couldn't commit to him until they found out about some other deals first, and Gray decided he didn't want to wait.

I'm not saying you guys don't have a right to have an opinion or be frustrated. But be aware that your opinions are based on very incomplete information.

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

6 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

You just don't know any of this. For most guys, it's not only dollars and cents. Some guys just want to play for one team or don't want to play for another team, for whatever reason. So you can't just assume that the Angels could have had anyone they wanted.

Remember Zack Wheeler? The deal with him was his wife was pregnant so he wanted to be on the East Coast. You usually don't know why deals don't happen.

It's also possible that the Angels know something about the guy that makes them not want a certain pitcher. The world freaked out when they passed on Kumar Rocker too. A bunch of the other free agents in past years that fans wanted ended up being busts or bad deals. (Strasburg, Corbin, Bumgarner, Keuchel, etc.)

Also, maybe they did want Gray and did want him at that price, but they couldn't commit to him until they found out about some other deals first, and Gray decided he didn't want to wait.

I'm not saying you guys don't have a right to have an opinion or be frustrated. But be aware that your opinions are based on very incomplete information.

Jeff, I appreciate that I don’t know the exact details of whatever specific potential detail doesn’t happen.  But over the years it just seems like it doesn’t ever happen.  A generalized picture starts to appear.  Anyway.  I appreciate what you’re saying. 

15 minutes ago, Stradling said:

This is just my take on the situation. There’s a budget.  We have zero contracts that we can trade off, none.  So bringing on a guy like Gray prevents you from a real upgrade if one prevents itself and stay on budget. So if the budget is $200 million you can’t get Gray, a SS another pen arm, a back up catcher, then trade for Castillo if the price comes down.  

But that’s the situation with Scherzer as well. I know I’m not Arte and all that.  But to me, if he’s really committed to winning here it’s unreasonable to have that rigid a budget. 

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

But that’s the situation with Scherzer as well. I know I’m not Arte and all that.  But to me, if he’s really committed to winning here it’s unreasonable to have that rigid a budget. 

Ok and so he blows that budget, at the end of the day who has more money to spend, Arte or Cohen?  Also as has been pointed out on here the ability to write off loses as a new owner is a factor. 

43 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok and so he blows that budget, at the end of the day who has more money to spend, Arte or Cohen?  Also as has been pointed out on here the ability to write off loses as a new owner is a factor. 

I don’t think we’re talking about the same thing here.  I’m not just talking about the money they spend.  Tho I do think they can and should spend more and still be very successful making more money.  My first issue here is how they decide what they’re going to do.  It doesn’t make sense to me.  I think the evidence is that it doesn’t work, it’ doesn’t lend itself to success.  Anyway.  Maybe it’ll work out despite all that.  Or maybe it won’t.  It’ll just be the same thing over and over like it has been.  I’m just shooting the shit man.  I don’t know anything. 

Edited by UndertheHalo