• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Our young starters

Torridd

OK, I decided not to dwell on any more starters this free agency. What do you think of our young starters? I know we got a rave review about Sandoval the other day. Would one of you assess our young starters regarding potential and how long it may take to fulfill it? 

Barría: 4th/5th starter potential. Would need to fulfill it in 2022.

Canning: 3rd starter potential. Probably has 2 years to fulfill it.

Criswell: spot starter potential right now, but he lacks the velo to fulfill it effectively. DFA Candidate.

Detmers: 2nd/3rd starter potential. 2-3 years to fulfill it.

Diaz: 5th/spot starter potential right now. Possible DFA candidate.

Junk: 4th/5th starter potential. 2 years to fulfill it.

Naughton 5th starter potential. 1-2 years to fulfill it.

Rodriguez: top of rotation potential. 2-3 years to fulfill it.

Sandoval: 2nd/3rd starter potential. 1-2 years to full it.

Suarez: 3rd/4th starter potential. 1-2 years to fulfill it.

10 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Barría: 4th/5th starter potential. Would need to fulfill it in 2022.

Canning: 3rd starter potential. Probably has 2 years to fulfill it.

Criswell: spot starter potential right now, but he lacks the velo to fulfill it effectively. DFA Candidate.

Detmers: 2nd/3rd starter potential. 2-3 years to fulfill it.

Diaz: 5th/spot starter potential right now. Possible DFA candidate.

Junk: 4th/5th starter potential. 2 years to fulfill it.

Naughton 5th starter potential. 1-2 years to fulfill it.

Rodriguez: top of rotation potential. 2-3 years to fulfill it.

Sandoval: 2nd/3rd starter potential. 1-2 years to full it.

Suarez: 3rd/4th starter potential. 1-2 years to fulfill it.

Time to accept that Rodriguez isn't a starter. He's got extremely violent mechanics that have led him to being oft injured for much of his career so far. His future is in the pen where he can make an impact(as we saw glimpses of to start the season)

What is a #1 versus a #2? 

What is a #3 vs #4?

Basically You have three categories for rotations, maybe four. You have front of the rotation, middle rotation types, back of rotation types and AAAA fill In guys.

Front of the Rotation Guys like Scherzer, Ray, Gausman, Buehler, Urias, Cole, Verlander, Syndergaard, Stroman, DeGrom, Glasgow, Snell, Darvish, Castillo, Ohtani, all in this group. Gausman is a fringe guy here.

Sandoval can get here. Detmers can get here.

Middle of the Rotation next up: Lynn, E. Rodriguez, Odorozzi, Sonny Gray, Kluber, Cobb, DeScafalini, etc.

Suarez can get here, Canning and Barria can get here.

back of the Rotation are guys like Bundy, Heaney, Quintana, Duffy, etc. 

Naughton, Junk, can get here. 

On 12/1/2021 at 5:41 PM, nando714 said:

All these guys suck 

Yeah, well one thing they don't suck is money.  You probably get more bang per dollar than signing nine figure starters.  So I say give them a chance, and see if they blossom.

On 12/1/2021 at 5:23 PM, bloodbrother said:

Time to accept that Rodriguez isn't a starter. He's got extremely violent mechanics that have led him to being oft injured for much of his career so far. His future is in the pen where he can make an impact(as we saw glimpses of to start the season)

I agree. And look how valuable super relievers can be—Hader, Williams, Shields, Frankie. And, in the playoffs you can slot CRod anywhere in the game for 2-3 innings. That’s huge. 

7 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

I agree. And look how valuable super relievers can be—Hader, Williams, Shields, Frankie. And, in the playoffs you can slot CRod anywhere in the game for 2-3 innings. That’s huge. 

Agreed.  CRod has a lot of potential, but that delivery doesn't seem conducive to starting long-term.

Given how much we have struggled in terms of our bullpen over the years, I think we all know how valuable a lights-out reliever can be.

It seems like he is slated to miss all of next year, but maybe there's a chance he can come back at the end and help shore up the late innings with his electric stuff.  An Iglesias/CRod combo to finish games could be really awesome, and having the quartet of Iglesias/CRod/Loup/Mayers to essentially pitch the last 4 innings would be really solid.

If I'm honest, I have a bit of PTSD with the whole concept of "young Angels starters" and have a hard time being optimistic, or at least there's always an edge of doubt.

That said, 2021 showed signs of promise that we haven't seen in years, since Those Who Shall Not Be Named started coalescing around 2014-15. Gulp.

The one thing I'm most annoyed about is Chris Rodriguez. Specifically, why hasn't his delivery not been addressed? After he hurt his back a few years ago, why didn't the Angels say, "We've got a really promising pitcher here, but with a violent delivery. As he recovers from injury, why not we work on changing that?" They've had a lot of time, and done nothing to fix the issue - and now we're getting to a point where it is getting to be too late. I'm not sure that the bullpen is the answer, because it is not like he breaks down after 60-80 innings...the kid can barely pitch 50 (his total, including the minors, last year - and he was injured two or three times).

Anyhow, my one gloating rights is that a couple years ago I said I liked Sandoval better than Canning. So far that seems right.

Aside from the obvious candidates, I think Davis Daniel is also worth mentioning. Of the guys slated for AAA this year, other than Canning, I think he has the highest upside. Meaning, unlike the other "Junk" in AAA--who all pretty much profile as future #5s/fill-in types--I think Daniel could be a legit #4 type, maybe even #3.

And of course there's Sam Bachman, although I don't expect him to be on the major league team until the end of 2022 at the earliest. But he has some of the same concerns as C-Rod, and may end up in the bullpen (but imagine a bullpen of Iglesias, Loup, C-Rod, and Bachman...). I'm also high on Ky Bush, although he's a couple years away.

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Agreed.  CRod has a lot of potential, but that delivery doesn't seem conducive to starting long-term.

Given how much we have struggled in terms of our bullpen over the years, I think we all know how valuable a lights-out reliever can be.

It seems like he is slated to miss all of next year, but maybe there's a chance he can come back at the end and help shore up the late innings with his electric stuff.  An Iglesias/CRod combo to finish games could be really awesome, and having the quartet of Iglesias/CRod/Loup/Warren to essentially pitch the last 4 innings would be really solid.

Fix’d.

On 12/1/2021 at 5:11 PM, Lazorko Saves said:

I think our young starters have a chance to become old starters some day.

This is going to sound dumb, but that would be great.  If our young starters carved out a career to where someday they are old starters then we are probably in better shape than we think we are.

On 12/1/2021 at 5:23 PM, bloodbrother said:

That isn’t going to help him stay healthy.  

49 minutes ago, HaloNArizona said:

I think Suarez has a better opportunity to be successful as a long reliver in the bullpen. 

I feel this exact way about Barria. A righty who sits 91-92 with ok off-speed stuff, but has proven to be very durable. I think he is a swing-innings eater at best. I really like Suarez in the rotation. To my very amateur eye, his last 5 starts showed he can hang in a ML rotation. He'll be 24 all of next year, and I think he turned a corner big time. His game in NY, @ Hou, and vs. Tex were very impressive to me.