• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I like Angelswin.com much better, but HH has a point here.

Hubs

5 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

“I like Angelswin.com much better, but HH has a point here.”

I think you mean you like Angelswin.com much more.

You think it is better.  You like it more.

It doesn’t make sense to say you like it better.

But so many people say it that way that it doesn’t even sound incorrect to most people anymore.

Literally everybody says it that way.

Let's make a few assumptions:

• The Angels won't lose Trout and Rendon for a combined 230 games.
  • Fletcher will bounce back to being, at least, close to league average as a hitter (say, 90 wRC+ or better).
  • Adell and Marsh will continue to improve, to at least league average (they were 90 and 86 wRC+ this year)
  • Upton will be latter-day Upton, about league average offensively.
  • 2021 was Walsh's and Stassi's true talent level (127 and 107 wRC+).
  • Ohtani will be close to as good as he was in in 2021 (152 wRC+); maybe a bit worse, maybe a bit better.

I don't see anything above that is outrageous, or even unlikely. The big question mark is health.

What that means is that the Angels have four hitters who should hit around 127 wRC+ or higher (I use 127, because that was Walsh's wRC+ this year). Meaning, four star-caliber hitters. In 2021, there were 40 qualifying hitters with a 127 wRC+ or better, so if the same holds true next year, and my predictions above happen, then the Angels will have 4 of the top 40 hitters in baseball.

But it gets better. Before this year, Rendon had a wRC+ of 140 or higher in the previous four seasons (2017-20). Let's say he bounces back to 140, Ohtani is 140-160, and Trout 160+. That would give the Angels three 140 or better wRC+ hitters, of which there were only 14 this year. 

Meaning, next year the Angels could not only have 4 of the top 40 (impressive) but 3 of the top 15 (terrific).

If you have 3 of the top 15 (or 4 of the top 40) you really only need an average group of hitters around them. I think Stassi, Fletcher, Adell, Marsh, Upton, possibly Ward, and even Rengifo/Mayfield can manage that.

And that's without possible breakthroughs from Adell or Marsh, either (or both) of whom could jump to 110+ wRC+.

Meaning, the key to a very good offense year is not an expensive shortstop, but health. 

Edited by Angelsjunky

I didn't read the article but I've been harping on the fact that ignoring a couple of things for next year is a recipe for trouble.  First, a decent SS.   Preferably one with positional versatility.  Second, additional legit MIF depth.  A potentially league avg. player.  Those two things need to happen.  Not only does it safeguard in case of injury but will allow for keeping guys fresh.  Almost as important as having a few good offensive players, which the halos do, depth is key.  No easy outs in the lineup.  And let's be frank.  Fletcher was miserable this year offensively.  One of the worst in in baseball.  You need to have a capable backup should he stay on his current trajectory.  Not someone who costs a ton, but more than some waiver pickup replacement player.  And if everyone stays healthy and plays well on the off chance, then adding those two guys give you other opportunities to optimize your lineup.  Like potentially spelling Marsh and Walsh vs. tough lefties or giving Ohtani a bit more time off.  

9 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Let's make a few assumptions:

• The Angels won't lose Trout and Rendon for a combined 230 games.
  • Fletcher will bounce back to being, at least, close to league average as a hitter (say, 90 wRC+ or better).
  • Adell and Marsh will continue to improve, to at least league average (they were 90 and 86 wRC+ this year)
  • Upton will be latter-day Upton, about league average offensively.
  • 2021 was Walsh's and Stassi's true talent level (127 and 107 wRC+).
  • Ohtani will be close to as good as he was in in 2021 (152 wRC+); maybe a bit worse, maybe a bit better.

I don't see anything above that is outrageous, or even unlikely. The big question mark is health.

What that means is that the Angels have four hitters who should hit around 127 wRC+ or higher (I use 127, because that was Walsh's wRC+ this year). Meaning, four star-caliber hitters. In 2021, there were 40 qualifying hitters with a 127 wRC+ or better, so if the same holds true next year, and my predictions above happen, then the Angels will have 4 of the top 40 hitters in baseball.

But it gets better. Before this year, Rendon had a wRC+ of 140 or higher in the previous four seasons (2017-20). Let's say he bounces back to 140, Ohtani is 140-160, and Trout 160+. That would give the Angels three 140 or better wRC+ hitters, of which there were only 14 this year. 

Meaning, next year the Angels could not only have 4 of the top 40 (impressive) but 3 of the top 15 (terrific).

If you have 3 of the top 15 (or 4 of the top 40) you really only need an average group of hitters around them. I think Stassi, Fletcher, Adell, Marsh, Upton, possibly Ward, and even Rengifo/Mayfield can manage that.

And that's without possible breakthroughs from Adell or Marsh, either (or both) of whom could jump to 110+ wRC+.

Meaning, the key to a very good offense year is not an expensive shortstop, but health. 

I'd also say that this also makes a good argument for someone like a Chris Taylor, Mark Canha, Jonathan Villar, Eduardo Escobar being added. Something of a safety net offered at different positions (either that player or moving someone internal) in case a bunch of injuries or underperformance strikes again.

19 hours ago, Taylor said:

Colloquialisms can be excused on a message board.

But these grammar faux pas are unforgivable, regardless of platform:

• Mixing up its/it's or your/you're
• Saying "irregardless" or "oftentimes"
• Adding an apostrophe for a plural: "Baseball's are flying out of the park" or "Go Angel's!"

There are a few more but I can't think of them right now.

Please add the following misspelled phrases to the list.

-for all intensive purposes (intents and)

-shoe in (shoo)

12 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I didn't read the article but I've been harping on the fact that ignoring a couple of things for next year is a recipe for trouble.  First, a decent SS.   Preferably one with positional versatility.  Second, additional legit MIF depth.  A potentially league avg. player.  Those two things need to happen.  Not only does it safeguard in case of injury but will allow for keeping guys fresh.  Almost as important as having a few good offensive players, which the halos do, depth is key.  No easy outs in the lineup.  And let's be frank.  Fletcher was miserable this year offensively.  One of the worst in in baseball.  You need to have a capable backup should he stay on his current trajectory.  Not someone who costs a ton, but more than some waiver pickup replacement player.  And if everyone stays healthy and plays well on the off chance, then adding those two guys give you other opportunities to optimize your lineup.  Like potentially spelling Marsh and Walsh vs. tough lefties or giving Ohtani a bit more time off.  

If you look at how the best teams are approaching roster construction these days it's become about having redundancies across every position. Finding at least a league average player at every position and another league average guy who can back that spot up, and if you can't find a league average guy you are mixing and matching platoon advantages. When big injuries happen you make trades to plug in the gaps. Look at the two teams in the NLCS, the Dodgers found some above average platoon at bats for a cast off first basemen who's helped them cover for big injuries to guys like Belanger and Muncy. The Braves lost their MVP outfielder and brought in a few productive guys to keep them afloat.

The Angels were never going to make the post season with the injuries they had, but it seems like it's year after year we are talking about health being one of the major factors limiting the team. Now we are talking about all these guys being healthy next year and thinking we can just punt on a key position. The offense was trash this year, and as good as Trout and Rendon are this is a team sport and 4 well above average hitters don't make an offense. 

Here is an odd one.  When someone verbalized someone else’s quote, they say “quote” to indicate the quote begins and then they say “end quote” to indicate the quote is finished.

But many people say “unquote” instead of “end quote.”

I guess that sort of also works.  But I really suspect the origin of anyone saying “unquote” instead of “end quote” was likely they just didn’t realize it is supposed to be “end quote.”

Edited by Dtwncbad

11 hours ago, totdprods said:

I'd also say that this also makes a good argument for someone like a Chris Taylor, Mark Canha, Jonathan Villar, Eduardo Escobar being added. Something of a safety net offered at different positions (either that player or moving someone internal) in case a bunch of injuries or underperformance strikes again.

Yes, I agree. But Chris Taylor is going to be more expensive - he sort of splits the difference between the second tier elite guys (Story, Baez) and Villar/Canha. Escobar is right there, too. But yeah, those are the type of guys I'd recommend over spending huge on Correa, Semien, Baez, Seager, and Story.

On 10/21/2021 at 2:08 PM, totdprods said:

Eh, we did have Stassi, Fletcher, Walsh, Marsh/Adell all for the most of the year, so there is a bit of a point that aside from Trout, Rendon, Walsh, and Ohtani, the offense could be a bit of a question mark.

But I think that also isn’t fairly quantifying what a healthy Trout and Rendon bring to the offense.

I would not be surprised, or totally pissed, if they spent on a SS, but I think it can be addressed without breaking the bank. I still hope they look into someone like Gleyber Torres, Amed Rosario, or Miguel Rojas on the trade market. 

Stassi 87 games

Marsh 70 games, Adell 35.

What is your definition for "most of the year"?

8 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

If you look at how the best teams are approaching roster construction these days it's become about having redundancies across every position. Finding at least a league average player at every position and another league average guy who can back that spot up, and if you can't find a league average guy you are mixing and matching platoon advantages. When big injuries happen you make trades to plug in the gaps. Look at the two teams in the NLCS, the Dodgers found some above average platoon at bats for a cast off first basemen who's helped them cover for big injuries to guys like Belanger and Muncy. The Braves lost their MVP outfielder and brought in a few productive guys to keep them afloat.

The Angels were never going to make the post season with the injuries they had, but it seems like it's year after year we are talking about health being one of the major factors limiting the team. Now we are talking about all these guys being healthy next year and thinking we can just punt on a key position. The offense was trash this year, and as good as Trout and Rendon are this is a team sport and 4 well above average hitters don't make an offense. 

I think you and I have been reiterating the same thing for the last 2-3 years at least.  When you're ready win (supposedly), you need to avoid those catastrophic performances.   You just can't have holes.  Not in your lineup.  Not on your bench.  It's different when you know you're not going to win but when you have different expectation you just can't leave massive holes.  

On 10/21/2021 at 2:46 PM, Taylor said:

Colloquialisms can be excused on a message board.

But these grammar faux pas are unforgivable, regardless of platform:

• Mixing up its/it's or your/you're
• Saying "irregardless" or "oftentimes"
• Adding an apostrophe for a plural: "Baseball's are flying out of the park" or "Go Angel's!"

There are a few more but I can't think of them right now.

Could of, would of, should of.