• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LAT: Why Dodgers’ Corey Seager should play shortstop next season … for the Angels.

Just now, failos said:

That would be amazing. Upton is holding the team back.

Nope.  It would be great if our problems were simply addition by subtraction, but that isn’t the case.  I mean if they released Upton and it some how made our pen great, then I am all for it.  If releasing Upton made Trout, Walsh and Rendon healthy then go for it.  It won’t.

Just now, Hells Rainbow said:

Nope.  It would be great if our problems were simply addition by subtraction, but that isn’t the case.  I mean if they released Upton and it some how made our pen great, then I am all for it.  If releasing Upton made Trout, Walsh and Rendon healthy then go for it.  It won’t.

Agreed.

I mostly meant he’s holding us back financially (but he also kinda sucks lately). Releasing him now would probably make the team worse since he’d still be on the books and no other team would ever take on his contract.

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

I thought the offense is fine, all we need is pitching.

The offense would be fine if not for the injuries to key players like Trout and Rendon.  That’s the beyond frustrating part.

And now Ohtani may be running on fumes as the DH from the burden on his shoulders over the past 3 months plus 86 innings pitching.

9 minutes ago, failos said:

Agreed.

I mostly meant he’s holding us back financially (but he also kinda sucks lately). Releasing him now would probably make the team worse since he’d still be on the books and no other team would ever take on his contract.

You could just delete this word for accuracy purposes 

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

The offense would be fine if not for the injuries to key players like Trout and Rendon.  That’s the beyond frustrating part.

And now Ohtani may be running on fumes as the DH from the burden on his shoulders over the past 3 months plus 86 innings pitching.

Possibly but I do think that the derby may have impacted his swing a little. Maybe someone who watches film and analyzes stuff like that can tell if his approach changed

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

At some point soon the Angels will have to offer Ohtani big money to stay. It will not be available if they put that money into the SS position. I think the Angels are at that crossroad where they really need the minor leaguers to come through to keep the payroll under the cap. 

To be fair, while I want a productive SS this is my priority in terms of adding to this team prior to 2022.

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

So they are not fine. Well at least for this season 

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but you of all people know that whatever is happening now isn’t for this season.  You have been on the, “this team is shitty” since we lost our second game of the season.  

6 minutes ago, Hells Rainbow said:

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but you of all people know that whatever is happening now isn’t for this season.  You have been on the, “this team is shitty” since we lost our second game of the season.  

It's true. Early on the offense looked really good but the pitching was a complete disaster. Now the pitching seems to have improved and the offense is dead with all the key guys out. I guess that balances out to mediocre. I agree that no moves should be made to salvage 2021, it's over. If the young guys are getting starts to assess their development for next year then I'm good with that. I also don't want to see them get destroyed to where it can affect their confidence. Detmers comes to mind on that. 

Edited by Jason

1 minute ago, Jason said:

It's true. Early on the offense looked really good but the pitching was a complete disaster. Now the pitching seems to have improved and the offense is dead with all the key guys out. I guess that balances out to mediocre. I agree that no moves should be made to salvage 2021, it's over. If they young guys are getting starts to assess their development for next year then I'm good with that. I also don't want to see them get destroyed to where it can affect their confidence. Detmers comes to mind on that. 

Detmers did go on to pitch 3 scoreless innings yesterday after the 5 runs scored.   That is progress from the first start.   Just needs to work on the FB command.

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

Detmers did go on to pitch 3 scoreless innings yesterday after the 5 runs scored.   That is progress from the first start.   Just needs to work on the FB command.

If this is what he needs for his development then that's great. I just want the Angels to be sure that these outings are a positive for him. That's all 

39 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I’d just assume give Mayfield a chance at SS for 2022.

No more big salary FAs from other teams, it’s time to complete the process to contention from within.

This 👆

We made a mistake when we let Brian Goodwin walk.  Let’s not make the same mistake with Captain Jack Mayfield. He’s got an .834 OPS as an Angel. 

2 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Re-up Iglesias. Love the defense, love the dugout presence, bat is good enough, won't require a lengthy contract that blocks the likes of Jackson, Paris, Vera or Guzman once they're ready. 

Reserve that money for an Ohtani extension, or for pitching. 

I guess that is fine but I haven't been impressed with his defense. Maybe the stats say otherwise but it just seems like it hasn't been very good. His bat has been decent and he's stayed healthy so those are positives 

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I kinda like the Kris Bryant idea simply because he could slot in at different spots, but there’s also not really a clear position unless he takes LF/RF or 1B…

My point exactly. 

1: Extend Iglesias.
2: Trade for a Marlins arm
3: Sign Kris Bryant who can fill almost any need but will start in RF.
4: Call up Marte so we can see what he's got in the bullpen
5: Use remaining funds for SS options. Maybe bring back Iglesias. 

7 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

To be fair, while I want a productive SS this is my priority in terms of adding to this team prior to 2022.

Mine is similar:

Re-sign Iglesias

Marlins/Angels trade for a young pitcher

Sign Set up guy

Sign another Set up guy

Sign a 3rd Set up guy

Maybe a 4th Set up guy

SS

Back Up Catcher 

Shortstop is the absolute key defensive position in the infield. Arguably, more overall even than center field or catcher. If the defensive skills are great a team can live with below average hitting. If an excellent defensive shortstop can do the little things like bunting, advancing runners, drawing some walks, be good on the basepaths you live with the weak hitting. In the end, it's the defensive WAR you want. Anything else is a bonus. 

As well, a one dimensional great defensive  shortstop will be cheaper. The Angels spend elsewhere  for their hitting.  Not really familiar with the metrics of the younger crop of shortstops, but that's what the scouting experts are for. 

With Ohtani's contract looming, the money already owed to Trout and Rendon and the need to add some proven pitching, going smart and cheaper elsewhere is critical.