• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rendon having season ending hip surgery

mmc

So far the Angels (through 2021) have spent $38 million on Anthony Rendon and gotten 3.4 fWAR out of him, with a .261/.372/.436 line and 125 wRC+, in what will be 110 out of 222 possible games. It isn't the worst value possible, but not great - especially considering that he'll only have played half the possible games by season's end.

3 minutes ago, Hells Rainbow said:

Ok.  Your opinion was he broke out at age 27, despite that he was top 5 in MVP at age 24.  Your opinion is that he cashed in on a career year, when he averaged a 5.7 WAR the 4 years prior to free agency.  Your opinion is Arte’s ego won’t allow them to sell at the deadline, when that is based on nothing other than they didn’t sell Iglesias, yet they sold two other guys including a pitcher that had been with the team for 7 years, oh and Arte’s ego sent money to the Yankees to trade Heaney.  The narrative, yours and others, about Arte signing Albert is bullshit, but whatever.  Dipoto absolutely took credit for it at the time.  Read the ESPN article after the deal went through and you will read all the hoops Dipoto went through and how he started talking about it much earlier than the winter meetings.  If I am not mistaken, in that article Dipoto also talked about approaching Arte with the idea for Albert, but I could be misremembering.  So yea, like I said, narratives.  Oh and I am not waving a flag for Arte, he’s obviously made mistakes and could lead the team in a different direction.

I think this is a really interesting dialogue. Heaney was getting in the way of the kids - Detmers, Barria, Suarez, Sandoval and Rodriguez - and was expendable based on both performance and contract. The team got better by trading the "7 year" pitcher. So regardless of being sellers or buyers trading Heaney made sense.  I think this would be your opinion/narrative also?

Trading the Iglesias Brothers and Cobb would not have made the team better this year. They could have been traded, maybe not Cobb because of the injury, but it would have signaled giving up on the season as was reported in the media. Keeping them was a decision made by the FO or by ownership. We don't know.

Why do you think the Iglesias Brothers were not traded? Was it a Minasian call? Was it an Arte edict? What is your narrative/opinion?

14 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

So far the Angels (through 2021) have spent $38 million on Anthony Rendon and gotten 3.4 fWAR out of him, with a .261/.372/.436 line and 125 wRC+, in what will be 110 out of 222 possible games. It isn't the worst value possible, but not great - especially considering that he'll only have played half the possible games by season's end.

So $2.5 M per home run is not good. Right?

12 minutes ago, Angels Fan Forever said:

I think this is a really interesting dialogue. Heaney was getting in the way of the kids - Detmers, Barria, Suarez, Sandoval and Rodriguez - and was expendable based on both performance and contract. The team got better by trading the "7 year" pitcher. So regardless of being sellers or buyers trading Heaney made sense.  I think this would be your opinion/narrative also?

Trading the Iglesias Brothers and Cobb would not have made the team better this year. They could have been traded, maybe not Cobb because of the injury, but it would have signaled giving up on the season as was reported in the media. Keeping them was a decision made by the FO or by ownership. We don't know.

Why do you think the Iglesias Brothers were not traded? Was it a Minasian call? Was it an Arte edict? What is your narrative/opinion?

My opinion is Maddon and Minasian want to re-sign Raisel. 

1 minute ago, Hells Rainbow said:

No idea but Stassi has had hip surgery two off seasons in a row and played right away. 

https://stanfordhealthcare.org/medical-conditions/bones-joints-and-muscles/femoroacetabular-impingement/treatments/surgery.html#:~:text=Recovery time from most FAI,at the time of surgery.

Recovery from surgery

The patient is on crutches after surgery. Recovery time from most FAI surgical procedures is 4-6 months to full, unrestricted activity. Your postoperative activity level will depend on your surgeon's recommendation, the type of surgery performed, and the condition of the hip joint at the time of surgery.  

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

3 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Ive been one of his "defenders" on here. But one of the things that popped into my head last night is that even if he bounces back next year, weve already lost the 2 best years he could have ever given us....

Thanks Arte for yet another wasted contract on another team’s premium power hitting guy!

3 minutes ago, Hells Rainbow said:

My opinion is Maddon and Minasian want to re-sign Raisel. 

My opinion is Arte didn't want them to trade Raisel but he would be open to paying for him to come back.

Because a trade would have signaled the Angels were giving up and Arte's intellectual and emotional makeup is not conducive to doing this.

I think we can both agree the Angels could have got a few really nice prospects for Raisel.

Raisel makes $9.1 this year. What would it take to resign him? $14 M per year? 3/42?

Comps are Will Smith at $13 M, Hendriks at $11 M. Kimbrel at $16 M.

Don't know. That's a lot for closer. Would like him to resign.

11 minutes ago, Angels Fan Forever said:

My opinion is Arte didn't want them to trade Raisel but he would be open to paying for him to come back.

Because a trade would have signaled the Angels were giving up and Arte's intellectual and emotional makeup is not conducive to doing this.

I think we can both agree the Angels could have got a few really nice prospects for Raisel.

Raisel makes $9.1 this year. What would it take to resign him? $14 M per year? 3/42?

Comps are Will Smith at $13 M, Hendriks at $11 M. Kimbrel at $16 M.

Don't know. That's a lot for closer. Would like him to resign.

I agree that they should have traded him.  I disagree it was because of Arte’s ego.  If that was true his ego wouldn’t have him paying money to take Heaney.  

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/mlb-free-agent-predictions-2020.html

This article had predictions of what they thought guys would get paid that off season.  They were somewhat accurate and when they were way off it was because they didn’t predict enough dollars.  They predicted Rendon would get $235 million, he got $245 million.  So, like I said, the Angels gave him the going rate for a player of his caliber heading into free agency.