• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bullet Dodged

I wanted Cole more than any FA since Beltre was available. And holy shit would that have been huge. Rendon signing wasnt "fun" to me at all, being that he wasnt Cole.

But has anyone seen his numbers since the sticky stuff crackdown?

Then add Bauer last off season. I wanted him because we need pitching so badly, but was leery after seeing that video I posted on here, about his numbers once he started using the sticky stuff, and how the video alluded to MLBs pending crackdown. (Though it hasnt seemed to effect him).

Had we signed either, with Coles sudden pre 2018, and Bauers legal trouble, we would have been absolutely screwed. Would have been right up there with pujols and hamilton.

We obviously still need a frontline SP. But we got lucky as hell on missing out on both of these guys.

I just wish Bauer got the same deal Cole did 😞

Side note. The yankees are stuck w Coles money (assuming he doesnt bounce back), chapman (who has also completely fallen off since the crackdown) and stanton. (I still like stanton a lot, but hes not the same guy). And thats about 500+ mill over the next 6 years or so. 

Someone else is finally in our shoes.

When I see quotes from Arte about players he seems to value their character (see his quotes upon Rendon's signing), so maybe it hasn't been a case of Arte not shelling out large contracts for pitchers these last few years, but maybe he didn't like what he saw in their character.

Cole was a bit of a dick after the WS if I remember correctly, and Bauer, sheesh, anyone can see he's a prick of the highest order, even before he started beating up unconscious women.

Have to give Arte credit for dodging those bullets. 

The guy I wanted (Wheeler), has done nothing but up his game since signing.  We never had a chance so its all moot, but imagine him paired with Obtani...

I'm guessing this might just be a blip for Cole, but good lord if it isn't... Trout money for even a good SP would be an awful investment.   I guess it's a good thing the Yankees weren't going to get him. It was really genius of them that they instead chose to make a smart trade using Greg Bird to get a quality SP.  I think that was the narrative that was repeated over and over and over again.

Good times.

16 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The guy I wanted (Wheeler), has done nothing but up his game since signing.  We never had a chance so its all moot, but imagine him paired with Obtani...

I'm guessing this might just be a blip for Cole, but good lord if it isn't... Trout money for even a good SP would be an awful investment.   I guess it's a good thing the Yankees weren't going to get him. It was really genius of them that they instead chose to make a smart trade using Greg Bird to get a quality SP.  I think that was the narrative that was repeated over and over and over again.

Good times.

Wheeler has been quietly brilliant. He leads the league in bWAR with Shohei at 5.4; and is 4th in fWAR with 4.6. Whichever you use the guy is on for a 9-10 WAR season. That really would be nice to have atop the rotation.

2 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

Cole was a bit of a dick after the WS if I remember correctly, and Bauer, sheesh, anyone can see he's a prick of the highest order, even before he started beating up unconscious women.

Have to give Arte credit for dodging those bullets. 

The Angels did offer Cole almost 300 million. I'm not giving Arte credit for that one. 

4 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I wanted Cole more than any FA since Beltre was available. And holy shit would that have been huge. Rendon signing wasnt "fun" to me at all, being that he wasnt Cole.

But has anyone seen his numbers since the sticky stuff crackdown?

Then add Bauer last off season. I wanted him because we need pitching so badly, but was leery after seeing that video I posted on here, about his numbers once he started using the sticky stuff, and how the video alluded to MLBs pending crackdown. (Though it hasnt seemed to effect him).

Had we signed either, with Coles sudden pre 2018, and Bauers legal trouble, we would have been absolutely screwed. Would have been right up there with pujols and hamilton.

We obviously still need a frontline SP. But we got lucky as hell on missing out on both of these guys.

I just wish Bauer got the same deal Cole did 😞

Side note. The yankees are stuck w Coles money (assuming he doesnt bounce back), chapman (who has also completely fallen off since the crackdown) and stanton. (I still like stanton a lot, but hes not the same guy). And thats about 500+ mill over the next 6 years or so. 

Someone else is finally in our shoes.

I was also very much in favor of bringing back Garrett Richards, who flat-out said he sucks without the sticky stuff. 

This is likely a temporary dip in production for Cole, but also understand he's unlikely to ever be a Cy Young candidate again. When he was in Pittsburgh, before he upped his use of performance enhancing adhesives (PEAS), he was still a good, albeit inconsistent starter, with considerable upside. 

I think Cole will be a good not great starter moving forward if he's kept honest. There's already evidence teams have made the adjustment and are finding other ways to enhance grip while umpires are going through the motions or choosing to look the other way. 

32 minutes ago, stormngt said:

They do have to give the inexpensive guys a shot sometime!

Yes and no.  It still comes down to depth.  Next year, there is virtually no chance we will see a rotation of Ohtani, Sandoval, Detmers, Canning, Suarez, Barria and CRod.  There will be a veteran or two brought in, much like Quintana and Cobb.  You really can’t go into a season with only 7 starters, because injuries absolutely happen and rushing guys has a long term negative impact.  You also can’t just have your spare starters in the bullpen because then they aren’t stretched out.  The good news for you is that the Barria ordeal will come to an end this off season.  He is out of options so he will be on the Angels or traded.

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yes and no.  It still comes down to depth.  Next year, there is virtually no chance we will see a rotation of Ohtani, Sandoval, Detmers, Canning, Suarez, Barria and CRod.  There will be a veteran or two brought in, much like Quintana and Cobb.  You really can’t go into a season with only 7 starters, because injuries absolutely happen and rushing guys has a long term negative impact.  You also can’t just have your spare starters in the bullpen because then they aren’t stretched out.  The good news for you is that the Barria ordeal will come to an end this off season.  He is out of options so he will be on the Angels or traded.

Our past vets we have br0ught in have been Trash.  Remember that!

Again, the bullet dodged part.

Trout WILL decline sooner than we'd like. Rendon (who i still think is going to be a big part of this team, in a good way) will as well, as he gets more into his 30s.

Now imagine if Cole is merely "decent".

Imagine what the next decade would be.... payroll and production wise.

Also. Shit..had we signed cole or bauer (mainly cole).... with trout and rendon.... be hard to find ohtani mega money in the piggy bank....

1 minute ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Again, the bullet dodged part.

Trout WILL decline sooner than we'd like. Rendon (who i still think is going to be a big part of this team, in a good way) will as well, as he gets more into his 30s.

Now imagine if Cole is merely "decent".

Imagine what the next decade would be.... payroll and production wise.

Also. Shit..had we signed cole or bauer (mainly cole).... with trout and rendon.... be hard to find ohtani mega money in the piggy bank....

Billionaire problems

23 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

At this point, the key FA starters are Scherzer, Stroman, Lynn, and Rodon.

Which is the best fit in the 2022 rotation?

None of the above. Quit throwing money 100 to 200 mill at players. Will need money for Ohtani, Walsh and others. Develop your own pitching or make smart trades. Rendon 38 mill for 5 more years and he cannot stay on the field. You can't give his contract away.