• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tyler Skaggs’ family sues Angels over pitcher’s death

Chuck

There is a plausible scenario where the Angel's have liability.   However that depends on the evidence to be discovered.  Skaggs himself has ultimate responsibility for anything he ingest.  If the Angeks known there are in trouble.

Fact is we wont know the verocity of the case until discovery. Even then settlements are often made that require complete confidentiality. 

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

Because Tim Mead is a good friend of mine I can't say much, but I will say that he's a man of integrity so I believe my friend that's he's telling the truth. 

That guys career shows nothing but integrity.  It is just not believable that he would knowingly tolerate what is being accused, and it is absurd to think he “should have known” unless there is a whole mountain of evidence that he ignored, which again goes against everything anyone knows about him.

Yes bc the angels shoved pills and booze down Skaggs’ throat 

how bout some personal accountability. 

it’s a tragic accident. The angels can’t control all of their employees just like any other company. 

I hope his family loses but I’m sure they’ll settle out of court 

4 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Skaggs was a grown man.  It's tragic,  but family needs to reconcile that he made his decisions.  Perhaps blaming Angels makes them feel better and exonerates even themselves.  

Whatever they find out in this whole thing, nobody will end up being more responsible for this than Tyler.

And I know that kind of statement is painful for the family, but the truth is also necessary.

If the crux of the lawsuit was that the angels created an environment where guys were expected to play through pain... what? Lol

He spent about the same time.on the DL as every other pitcher with TJ. And TJ isnt some hardcore pain surgery. How many other pitchers get it every year, and how many turn to pill addicts?

This only made the news because he died. Period.

Had he not, he would have simply been anyone else who had an addiction problem, and the money to pay for it.

Im not trying to shame him at all. But plenty of athletes mess with drugs. Perhaps Kay introduced him to it? I have no idea. But Im betting it was a lot more of a skaggs going to him than vice versa. And i doubt the angels knew it was happening.

The hamilton ordeal kind of shows the angels arent cool with drugs

Pure speculation:  Arte is probably livid.  We know how he felt about Hamilton and his drug use. Arte was about as close to zero tolerance on drugs as you can imagine.  It was basically “get that shit out of my organization!”  Now he is being sued because he (the Angels) “should have known” and should have prevented this??

18 minutes ago, Stradling said:

There’s a difference between making bad business decisions and being unethical.  

All I said was that I wasn’t giving them the benefit of the doubt.  Why should I ?  None of you know anything.  A bunch of you guys seem absolutely sure that the angels aren’t liable.  Fine.  Chuck apparently knows Mead.  At least he has a reason to have his feelings.  

2 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

If the crux of the lawsuit was that the angels created an environment where guys were expected to play through pain... what? Lol

He spent about the same time.on the DL as every other pitcher with TJ. And TJ isnt some hardcore pain surgery. How many other pitchers get it every year, and how many turn to pill addicts?

This only made the news because he died. Period.

Had he not, he would have simply been anyone else who had an addiction problem, and the money to pay for it.

Im not trying to shame him at all. But plenty of athletes mess with drugs. Perhaps Kay introduced him to it? I have no idea. But Im betting it was a lot more of a skaggs going to him than vice versa. And i doubt the angels knew it was happening.

The hamilton ordeal kind of shows the angels arent cool with drugs

You beat me to the Hamilton relevance. 

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

All I said was that I wasn’t giving them the benefit of the doubt.  Why should I ?  None of you know anything.  A bunch of you guys seem absolutely sure that the angels aren’t liable.  Fine.  Chuck apparently knows Mead.  At least he has a reason to have his feelings.  

No no no.  I have not seen one person say they are absolutely sure the Angels are not liable.

You are spinning what everyone is saying.  Sorry try again.

Sorry if this sounds insensitive and selfish as I know life is more important than baseball,  but I just hate this lawsuit was filed the day after a great win over the Yankees last night. They legitimately have a chance to take the next 2 games to at least take 3 of 4 from the Yankees and go home to play a horrible Baltimore team and now this may or may not cast a dark cloud over the team this week. We just can't seem to catch a break for very long lol

14 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Skaggs was a grown man.  It's tragic,  but family needs to reconcile that he made his decisions.  Perhaps blaming Angels makes them feel better and exonerates even themselves.  

It may make them feel better in the present, but long term they will never come to terms with his death until they admit to themselves that Tyler was an adult and did this to himself. As his family they should have seen it as much as anyone and made a bigger deal out of it.

I don't know what their motivation is, but if it's justice they won't find it. If they get everything they set out for they will still feel empty because deep down they'll know it was Tyler and that as his family they're as responsible as anyone for seeing the signs and getting him help.

If the motivation is money, then screw them because they are terrible people.

I have a feeling it's a bit of both. 

Skaggs families whole premise is based on the fact that the Angels "knew". Its a very shallow premise that in the end may make one more individual connected to this. And at the end of the day, as far as I'm concerned, it's still Tyler's fault. And his families for not making a bigger deal before he died.

I've had plenty of people in my life suffer from addiction, eating disorders, etc. I've watched people turn the other cheek, enable, and confront. The reality is that you always see the signs of you are close enough to them. If you choose to ignore them and they end up dead, please don't try to blame someone else. Ultimately it's the individuals fault. However, next in line are the people who are supposed to know them best (spouse, family, lifelong friends, etc.) If you did nothing before it happened, you are more responsible than any other person other than the individual.

There are some sad stories out there about teens being given prescription drugs laced with fentanyl and ODing. This is not one of those stories. Tyler was a grown ass man. I feel sorry for him and his family, but it should stop there.

20 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

No no no.  I have not seen one person say they are absolutely sure the Angels are not liable.

You are spinning what everyone is saying.  Sorry try again.

In not spinning anything.  There’s a bunch of people here posting that they hope the family loses.  I haven’t taken a position either way.  The Angels are a train wreck.  They are.  If this another element in the tire fire then I’m not surprised.  That’s it.  I don’t know why we’re debating this at all. 

6 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

In not spinning anything.  There’s a bunch of people here posting that they hope the family loses.  I haven’t taken a position either way.  The Angels are a train wreck.  They are.  If this another element in the tire fire then I’m not surprised.  That’s it.  I don’t know why we’re debating this at all. 

Who is hoping the “family loses”?  I’m seeing people post that the family needs to deal in self accountability.