• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

POLL: Who is MOST responsible for 6+ years of mediocrity?

Taylor

The Blame Game  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who is MOST responsible for 6+ years of mediocrity?

The players option is way too general. 

The roster is constructed by the GM, with the wherewithal of the owner, then the manager's decisions with what he has to work with determine some of the outcome throughout the season.

It's not Matt Harvey and the like's fault that they suck and they have before they got here, it's the one who signed or traded for them and the owner who pinched pennies not allowing the GM to sign better players that cost more $$$.

If I had to rank them in order I would go:

1. GM

2. Owner

3. Manager

Also.. up yours Dipoto for not going after Vladimir Guerrero Jr. when he was in our backyard. 

I really doubt Arte told Jerry, nah he's going to cost too much to sign in the international pool. 

There has been way too many swings and misses from our GM's (Dipoto, Eppler and Minasian) on signing/trading for good SP's and RP's over their tenure here. 

The owner picks everyone that works below him by proxy. That starts with the GM and works it's way through funding scouting and approval of player contracts. The GM that picks shit players, makes bad trades or pulls the Baldoquin disaster out of his ass while picking 2nd round players in the first was put in the position by the owner. 

The Angels' international "presence" during the '10s was embarrassing. 

We had that one scandal I think, can't remember exactly. It was a fucking mess. 

And I'm not saying Vlad Jr. 100% would have signed here. I believe he was connected to Toronto before he was drafted. But you have to think we'd have our foot in the door just by showing interest?

But naw, Dipoto watched a guy play for 2 innings and wanted to show everyone how smart he was so he told Arte to blow his wad on this guy. I bet he even said "Just wait" when describing him.

Well, we're definitely still waiting you ego maniac smartest-guy-in-the-room syndrome having fuckpuppet.

• Chuck changed the title to POLL: Who is responsible for the Angels failures over the last six years?
  • Chuck changed the title to POLL: Who is MOST responsible for 6+ years of mediocrity?

Dipoto because he left us with virtually nothing.  Was the GM that signed Albert and Hamilton.

Arte because of the rumors about going cheap with scouting.

Eppler because he signed some really bad one year deals for pitching.  His are the least egregious of the three as they don’t have the long term harm as Dipoto.   

46 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Also.. up yours Dipoto for not going after Vladimir Guerrero Jr. when he was in our backyard. 

I really doubt Arte told Jerry, nah he's going to cost too much to sign in the international pool. 

There has been way too many swings and misses from our GM's (Dipoto, Eppler and Minasian) on signing/trading for good SP's and RP's over their tenure here. 

Dipshito spent far more singing Baldoquin the year before.   There was no long term thinking.  

I don't think this question is easily answerable.

We could say Arte, but it isn't like he hasn't provided his GMs with money - the Angels consistently rank in the top ten in payroll. Yes, he was (allegedly) behind Big Splashes Pujols and Hamilton, but that doesn't--on its own--account for the mediocrity of the last six plus years (it did contribute, though).

We could say the GMs, but they can't control injuries or on-field performance.

We can say the managers, but only have so much on-field influence.

We can say the players, but it isn't always their fault that they suck and were mis-read by front office scouting reports.

Arte meddled, the GMs made bad moves (Dipoto gutting the farm, Eppler's inability to scout pitching and Minasian seemingly taking off where Eppler left off), the managers have made countless dubious decisions, and the players haven't optimized their potential.

Oh yeah, none of them can be blamed for the Curse and 500 years of colonial karma coming home to roast.

That said, when I made that list above, I had the hardest time diminishing accountability for the GMs. They are, ultimately, responsible for assembling the team that's on the field, and none of them have assembled a winning team. Minasian deserves a pass for now, but clearly his signings haven't been great overall. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and think he's taking this year to assess the organization, top to bottom, and then will adjust accordingly. Hopefully he adjusts like Trout and not like Adell.

41 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

The Angels' international "presence" during the '10s was embarrassing. 

We had that one scandal I think, can't remember exactly. It was a fucking mess. 

And I'm not saying Vlad Jr. 100% would have signed here. I believe he was connected to Toronto before he was drafted. But you have to think we'd have our foot in the door just by showing interest?

But naw, Dipoto watched a guy play for 2 innings and wanted to show everyone how smart he was so he told Arte to blow his wad on this guy. I bet he even said "Just wait" when describing him.

Well, we're definitely still waiting you ego maniac smartest-guy-in-the-room syndrome having fuckpuppet.

Why would Vlad Jr be connected to Toronto?  Where is the connection.

Toronto is not the Yankees, Dodgers, or Red Sox which are often viewed as the "elite" of MLB in tradition and fanbase.  His father never played for Toronto. And it wasn't money.  

I cannot accept the hypothesis that Jr was tied to Toronto until somehow their connection is identified. 

6 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

OK, I'm actually an As fan and a black magic magician (you know, all us Wicca types up in the Bay Area). It took y'all awhile to catch on.

Are you also Canadian?

7 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Why would Vlad Jr be connected to Toronto?  Where is the connection.

Toronto is not the Yankees, Dodgers, or Red Sox which are often viewed as the "elite" of MLB in tradition and fanbase.  His father never played for Toronto. And it wasn't money.  

I cannot accept the hypothesis that Jr was tied to Toronto until somehow their connection is identified. 

Not sure what's so hard to understand.

He was scouted by Toronto. His dad played in Canada for a decade. They knew about him before they drafted him. That's it...