• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

POLL: Who is MOST responsible for 6+ years of mediocrity?

Taylor

The Blame Game  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who is MOST responsible for 6+ years of mediocrity?

The reason for our mediocrity has been injuries and below average play by too many players.

However it is the GM job to put together the team with the depth to withstand injuries and and before average to above average.

Therefore the primary blame is on the GM.

Arte shares a good portion of the blame.  He locked us out of the international market for almost a decade.  He refused to go over the salary cap when it was clear the Pujols and Hamilton contracts were handicapping us.  And he limited the scouting staff. 

I do not know who to blame the GM or Arte for failure to sign Beltre,  trade for Wells and signing Pujols/Hamilton.   

Recently I blame the front office for over emphasizing analytics.   I believe that was why Assmus used a "starter" so often, and why Maddon pulls his starters so soon.  They do not want the starters to face the lineup a third or fourth time.  

11 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Not sure what's so hard to understand.

He was scouted by Toronto. His dad played in Canada for a decade. They knew about him before they drafted him. That's it...

Toronto is not Montreal.  That connection is frivolous.

If Toronto outworked others because of their scouting and recruiting then so be it.  However the failure is on the Angels front office for allowing Toronto to out work them.

BTW I thought Jr was signed as an international free agent not drafted.  Was I misinformed?

The Angel's should have been paying attention to Vlad Jr progress.  They should have should have worked harder on him.  His dad played for the Angels.  His dad did not play for Toronto.   

Edited by stormngt

1 minute ago, stormngt said:

Toronto is not Montreal.  That connection is frivolous.

If Toronto outworked others because of their scouting and recruiting then so be it.  However the failure is on the Angels front office for allowing Toronto to out work them.

BTW I thought Jr was signed as an international free agent not drafted.  Was I misinformed?

The Angel's should have been paying attention to Vlad Jr progress.  They should have should have worked harder on him.  His dad played for the Angels.  His dad did not play for Toronto.   

I'm using the word "drafted" but yes, he was signed.

You know how Dipoto scouted Baldoquin? That's the connection Toronto has with Jr.

Also, Toronto is not Montreal, but I believe you are heavily mistaken if you don't understand why there's a connection there. It's a different country. Vlad played in that country for many years. That's where he was signed, in a manner not too dissimilar to how these signings happen now.

Regardless, we agree that the Angels should have been all-in on Vlad Jr. They couldn't be because they wasted their allotment on Baldoquin, giving them the 2 year penalty during which Jr. signed with Toronto.

So basically, Fuck Dipoto.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

The players option is way too general. 

The roster is constructed by the GM, with the wherewithal of the owner, then the manager's decisions with what he has to work with determine some of the outcome throughout the season.

It's not Matt Harvey and the like's fault that they suck and they have before they got here, it's the one who signed or traded for them and the owner who pinched pennies not allowing the GM to sign better players that cost more $$$.

If I had to rank them in order I would go:

1. GM

2. Owner

3. Manager

This

But adding one thing, who hired those GMs since Reagins, and who continually seems to ignore the scouting and development budget?

To me, it’s the one constant, the owner.  That owner has become the West Coast version of Peter Angelos.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Just now, Lou said:

Arte's teams have been to more postseasons.

And how have they done since 2016?

Garbage 

Arte piggy backed on what Stoneman and Bavasi started.

What good has Arte done ever since 2010?   One 3 game post-season series sweep

Edited by Angel Oracle

I’d rather have the Clippers past six seasons any day over what Arte has done to this franchise.

And of course Arte will be Arte 6 months from now, and sign one of the high priced SS’s, who will then decline pretty much within a year or two.   Just like Pujols, Hamilton, and Rendon, with Upton 50-50

Arte’s addicted to big money big bat FAs.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I have gone over this narrative enough times about what kind of disadvantage a new owner would be in but it falls on deaf ears because ARTE BAD.  An Angel team not owned by Arte would take a decade to compete, unless you get an UBER rich dude who wants to buy the Angels.  Are NBA owners allowed to own MLB teams?  I know at one point there was some dude that owned a team in one league couldn’t own a team in other league.  I don’t remember which two sports it was.

1. The guy who fired the guy who drafted Mike Trout (the year after he drafted Trout).

2. The subsequent guys who haven't realized how important it is to get back to having good drafting and player development.

While I know who #1 was, I am not sure who the person(s) in #2 are.  The GMs?  Arte?  I don't know.