• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte doesn't value pitchers as much as hitters

Torridd

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

I'm sure some team fans are wondering why they couldn't get a quality 3rd baseman like Rendon.

I remember.....it was a long dry run after Glaus......then another one after Figgins.

I remember another wondering about the vacuum in left field until the Upton deal.

I remember another wondering about problems of 2B until Fletch.

It requires a concerted effort to be bad at scouting, drafting and developing to get to a point where there are that many holes on a team, year after year.  I can understand blaming Arte for being cheap on scouting, the executive talent required for making better predictions/projections and the coaches necessary for quality player development.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

This idea that Arte or the organization doesn't value any given position is rather silly. Not placing value and doing a shitty job at developing and signing talent are not the same thing. 

I didn't say he doesn't value pitching, but that he doesn't as much as hitting.

5 hours ago, Jason said:

The bottom line is the organization has to do a better job at scouting, drafting and developing top tier pitching. If they don't then they'll always be mediocre in this area. 

This.

There are far too few TOR-type pitchers hitting free-agency in their prime - and as expensive as they are, most teams can't afford to sign 2 or 3 of them.  And most are getting to FA at an age where the end is nearing ...

Here's how the Dodgers built their rotation:

Kershaw:  Drafted by Dodgers (1st round/7th pick)
Bauer:  Signed as Free agent (drafted by Diamondbacks 1/3)
Buehler:  Drafted by Dodgers (1/24)
Urias:  Signed by Dodgers as international FA in 2012
May:  Drafted by Dodgers (3rd round)

This is how you do it

8 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

This.

There are far too few TOR-type pitchers hitting free-agency in their prime - and as expensive as they are, most teams can't afford to sign 2 or 3 of them.  And most are getting to FA at an age where the end is nearing ...

This is how you do it

Yep. Maybe the Halos need some undercover guys to infiltrate the Dodgers organization and take some notes. They do this stuff very well and we don't. 

36 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yep. Maybe the Halos need some undercover guys to infiltrate the Dodgers organization and take some notes. They do this stuff very well and we don't. 

Or Arte can stop being cheap and hire more than 8 scouts.

Just now, Taylor said:

Or Arte can stop being cheap and hire more than 8 scouts.

I don't know what the Halos' scouting department looks like but if they are really under staffed then that is Arte being a problem with development of pitching 

• mmc changed the title to Arte doesn't value pitchers as much as hitters
3 hours ago, DCAngelsFan said:

This.

This is how you do it

Having over 100 million dollars allocated to 5 starting pitchers also makes a difference.

4 minutes ago, Φαήλος said:

You’re dead to me until you tell me how to watch Line of Duty S6. And no, I’m not lost, the thread title reminded me of Kanye’s famous outburst about GWB.

I'm ok with being dead.

Spoiler

Plus, Redondo already told you