• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Mariners @ Angels (03/07/2021)

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

personally feel like Suarez stuff is better than Barria.  Especially his breaking ball.  It's more of a strikeout pitch whereas Barria's breaking ball is more of an off speed he can throw for a strike or induce weak contact with but lacks the depth to make it an out pitch.  Suarez fastball is also a bit better.  

Can we just combine Suarez's stuff with Barria's mound presence?

42 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Can we just combine Suarez's stuff with Barria's mound presence?

11 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I believe that's Sandoval.

If anything, Suarez is the hybrid.  He's got better stuff than Barria yet slightly lesser presence and lesser stuff than Sandoval but better mound presence.   

He's 23 and like IP said, got thrown to the wolves way before he was ready at age 21 which was a lost year of Doug White trying to teach him Swahili when what he needed was the basics and then he lost another year last season.

If we traded for a guy entering his age 23 season who owned a 3.68 minor league era and a 9.7 k/9 with 2.9 bb/9, we'd be thrilled.  

I watched a bunch of this kid in the minors.  There's a reason he was a top 100 prospect at one point.  He's got 50 grade stuff (maybe 55 when you sum the parts).  He did a really nice job of commanding the zone in the minors.  Framber Valdez is actually a good comp for him who was on his way to a breakout last year and probably this one who turned 27 late last year.  

I think we should wait to see where this kid is at around the age of 26/27 which gives him 3-4 more years to find his way.  Even if he needs two more years in the minors.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

personally feel like Suarez stuff is better than Barria.  Especially his breaking ball.  It's more of a strikeout pitch whereas Barria's breaking ball is more of an off speed he can throw for a strike or induce weak contact with but lacks the depth to make it an out pitch.  Suarez fastball is also a bit better.  

I will take your word for it and I hope you are right.  the results just aren’t there so I struggle to agree with it as of yet.

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

I will take your word for it and I hope you are right.  the results just aren’t there so I struggle to agree with it as of yet.

Oh, I'm not absolutely convinced it will translate.  Barria kinda is who he is whereas Suarez could totally flame out or become a very good starter.  What I've seen from him in the majors isn't anywhere close to the guy I saw in the minors.  Today was probably the first real semblance of that I've seen since 2019.  The time he spent in the majors that year f'd him up good.  You could just tell they were trying to get him to do things he just wasn't comfortable with.  He's only got one option year left.  I kinda hope they don't need him in the majors at all this year so they can save that for next year and he'd be 25 before they'd have to guarantee him a spot at the big.  By then, I think we'll have a much better idea of what he can be.  

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Oh, I'm not absolutely convinced it will translate.  Barria kinda is who he is whereas Suarez could totally flame out or become a very good starter.  What I've seen from him in the majors isn't anywhere close to the guy I saw in the minors.  Today was probably the first real semblance of that I've seen since 2019.  The time he spent in the majors that year f'd him up good.  You could just tell they were trying to get him to do things he just wasn't comfortable with.  He's only got one option year left.  I kinda hope they don't need him in the majors at all this year so they can save that for next year and he'd be 25 before they'd have to guarantee him a spot at the big.  By then, I think we'll have a much better idea of what he can be.  

This 100%..     

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I wouldn't have a problem with that, think it makes a lot of sense....the only qualifier I would put on it would be if the light comes on and he tears it up in AAA....the old saying that you only have so many pitches in an arm tends to make me a little leery of being overly protective of guys, if they are getting it done in the minors.  But, let's see how he does in AAA first. 

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

The time he spent in the majors that year f'd him up good.  You could just tell they were trying to get him to do things he just wasn't comfortable with.  He's only got one option year left.  I kinda hope they don't need him in the majors at all this year so they can save that for next year and he'd be 25 before they'd have to guarantee him a spot at the big.  By then, I think we'll have a much better idea of what he can be.

I think this is some of the collateral damage from Eppler's unsuccessful starting pitching signings.

33 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

they made him collateral damage when they didn't have to by calling him up before he was ready.  Eppler was very aggressive at promotions.  

He had to be since the slew of one year reclamation projects were worthless. Innings had to be eaten by someone and Harvey and company weren't those guys.

12 hours ago, cals said:

Went to the game today.  Seemed fairly normal.  Most people weren’t wearing their masks by the later innings, but it was damn hot, so forgive us.  Still had the contingent of drunk ASU douchbags and sluts, so that was cool.  Anyways, I took these pics.

205B22F3-F19D-4810-BAEA-AEDA610EB69C.jpeg4E4D463B-C53B-412F-8C5D-A2FA9F268527.jpeg

20210307_132443.jpg