• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Griffin Canning ‘on the verge’ of breakthrough season, Joe Maddon says

AngelsWin.com

TEMPE, Ariz. — Amid all of the Angels’ pitching question marks, Griffin Canning is in a class by himself.

Alex Cobb and Jose Quintana are clearly on the downside of their careers, hoping to show they have some more in the tank. Dylan Bundy and Andrew Heaney are still in their prime, with 10- to 20-start stretches of excellence on their resumes, but no full seasons.

And two-way player Shohei Ohtani is obviously unlike any other player, and has been battling injuries for too long for anyone to be confident in what he can provide as a pitcher.

Canning, however, is the youngest of the bunch. At 24, he is just trying to build on what he’s done through a couple partial seasons. He’s pitched enough to show his potential, but not so much that you can rule out a breakthrough to the next level.

He has pitched 146 2/3 innings in his big-league career with a 4.36 ERA, which is slightly better than the major-league average.

“The biggest thing for Griff is just nailing down that sense of belonging,” Manager Joe Maddon said. “’I belong here. I can do this.’ The stuff is really, really good.”

Maddon said Canning’s pitch quality grades out among the game’s elite, analytically. He also loves Canning’s athleticism, which was enough to win him a Gold Glove last year.

“Where things went wrong last year was pitch selection, sequencing, not understanding how good a particular pitch is over another in a moment,” Maddon said. “I’ve had an issue with a lot of pitchers and maybe they have a slider and a curveball and they don’t know which one to utilize versus a righty or a lefty.”

Canning has two breaking balls, one that’s harder and one that’s softer, and he said this year he plans to mostly throw the harder one, which he’ll call a slider. The softer one will be his curve, and the pitch that used to be his slider is now going to be a cutter.

Canning is also working on refining the way he uses his fastball. He said during his live batting practice session this week he “found some stuff” to improve his command by adjusting where he sets his sights and where the catcher sets up.

He also plans to continue having the more aggressive attitude that emerged last season, when he posted a 3.99 ERA in 11 starts. That was an improvement from his 4.58 mark in his rookie year in 2019.

“I think a big thing will be evaluating an outing a little bit better, like kind of the day after just really diving in and understanding what I did well, or what I didn’t do well and what I want to improve on,” the former Santa Margarita High and UCLA star said. “Just so things don’t perpetuate and get out of hand where I don’t feel like I have feel for any pitches or mechanics. I think it’s just about staying on top of that aspect. Make sure if something gets off that I’m able to quickly get back on track.”

Canning also needs stay on top of his elbow maintenance. He had a scare last spring with an elbow injury, but he managed to avoid surgery and pitched without issue through the shortened season. He said using a heated sleeve on his elbow between innings was beneficial.

If Canning could do all of that, the Angels could finally develop the kind of quality starting pitcher that has so rarely come out of their system. Since 2012, Jered Weaver, Matt Shoemaker and Garrett Richards are the only homegrown pitchers who have pitched 150 innings with an ERA below 4.00 for the Angels.

“He’s on the verge,” Maddon said. “He really believes he belongs here now. He’s on the verge of really understanding all his weapons, and how to utilize them.”

STRONG REVIEWS FOR OHTANI

After watching Ohtani hit in live batting practice one day and pitch the next, Maddon said he was encouraged.

“The ball’s coming out real hot, and he threw some really good sliders too,” Maddon said Thursday morning. “Overall, no hyperbole, the last couple days that I’ve watched him, that’s better than anytime I saw him last year. Talking about delivery, velocity, finish, the way he looked on the mound. Much more together, much more connected than any time I saw him last year. We just gotta keep him right there and he’ll continue to build off it.”

Ohtani is coming off a winter of intense work, including several changes to his routine, as he tries to bounce back from a disappointing season.

ALSO

The Angels acquired infielder Jack Mayfield from the Atlanta Braves for cash considerations or a player to be named. Mayfield, 30, had 112 plate appearances in the majors with the Houston Astros in 2019 and 2020, with a .481 OPS. He has a career .791 OPS in the minors. Mayfield has played second, third and shortstop in the majors. …

In order to create a roster spot for Mayfield, the Angels designated infielder Robel Garcia for assignment. …

Anthony Rendon has also made an impression on Maddon in the first couple days of full-squad workouts. “First round, inside the ball, line drive to right,” Maddon said. “Inside the ball, line drive to right. Inside the ball, line drive to right. He’s a metronome with his work, with his offensive work and defensive work.” Maddon said Rendon looks “pretty primed right now. If that’s how he looks in the first couple days, obviously he did a lot of wonderful work in the offseason.”

View the full article