• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Offense vs. Pitching

Torridd

The rotation is better, if unspectacular ... the offense, arguably, is not changed from the end of 21.   It might be slightly better with Suzuki and Iglesias over their counterparts last year, but not significantly. 
Is the team better, yes, significantly so, no.   Is it enough to take the division as it stands, in my opinion no, although it will be in the mix for the post season.  The division is up for grabs and we dropped the ball instead of opening the window.
At least to date, well see how these last couple weeks play out, it could change tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, floplag said:

The rotation is better, if unspectacular ... the offense, arguably, is not changed from the end of 21.   It might be slightly better with Suzuki and Iglesias over their counterparts last year, but not significantly. 
Is the team better, yes, significantly so, no.   Is it enough to take the division as it stands, in my opinion no, although it will be in the mix for the post season.  The division is up for grabs and we dropped the ball instead of opening the window.
At least to date, well see how these last couple weeks play out, it could change tomorrow. 

You think Houston or Oakland?

49 minutes ago, Torridd said:

You think Houston or Oakland?

I think we havent improved enough that no one is a clear favorite. 
Hou is weaker, no doubt, but still not terrible. 
Oak somehow finds a way even when you look on paper and think no way... although this time they may not as the farm is also not in great shape having no top 100s as i recall?  Might be wrong on that but read that somewhere. 
Bottom line is that it was right there for the taking, the window was wide open, if we acted in the right way.  To date we havent done that.  We are better, just not good enough to make any assumptions.  I think were a playoff team, but we could be so much more. 

19 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Here’s my question, that might be better served as a poll.

Is there a reason that all off-season Halos acquisitions are just one year from FA?

Coincidence, or Arte not wanting to do multi year contracts until the new CBA is hammered out?

Although a blow torch might be needed to thaw the relations between the two sides.

Disclaimer that I know nothing but speculating makes me feel better about this underwhelming offseason. 

I'd guess that Arte's edict to Perry went something along the lines of this: 

-No 9 figure deals this year and keep it around $190 million
-Prefer no multi-year deals unless a great one comes into our laps
-No major $ on RF because it's Adell or Marsh's job to win. 
-Next offseason when we clear Pujols, everyone else, and have 1 year of Upton left we can spend big
-Save for a long-term SS next offseason (Baez, Seager, Story)
-Can spend more on SP next year

The Cobb move, I feel, wasn't a necessity but a clever way to add a 5th-6th starter for peanuts. I think they will make offers to Odorizzi, Paxton, and Walker. But ultimately they are counting on a good Ohtani year (a mistake I think), a step forward from Canning, and small improvements from Quintana and Cobb. They absolutely need another bullpen guy though, and the market is kind of evaporating for that. 

31 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

Disclaimer that I know nothing but speculating makes me feel better about this underwhelming offseason. 

-Next offseason when we clear Pujols, everyone else, and have 1 year of Upton left we can spend big

The Cobb move, I feel, wasn't a necessity but a clever way to add a 5th-6th starter for peanuts. I think they will make offers to Odorizzi, Paxton, and Walker. But ultimately they are counting on a good Ohtani year (a mistake I think), a step forward from Canning, and small improvements from Quintana and Cobb. They absolutely need another bullpen guy though, and the market is kind of evaporating for that. 

I like Barria to step up and be big part of rotation

16 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

In 6 man rotation I think he is number 6 right now. Ohtani halos will bring along slowly and not be put on mound till mid May or later.

I know Ohtani's young, but I'm getting to the point where I'd prefer a decision is made if he will be a pitcher OR hitter. It's a shame to have all this talent but is hurt all the time. Do you guys think he'll ever have a complete season doing both?

3 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

Ha! With an edict like that, why need a GM?

6 minutes ago, Torridd said:

I know Ohtani's young, but I'm getting to the point where I'd prefer a decision is made if he will be a pitcher OR hitter. It's a shame to have all this talent but is hurt all the time. Do you guys think he'll ever have a complete season doing both?

My opinion this year will tell if he pitches or becomes a position player. If he can stay away from arm problems I think he can do both.