• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Will Angel fans get a starting pitcher on or before Christmas? 

Angels 1961

• Chuck changed the title to Will Angel fans get a starting pitcher on or before Christmas? 
4 minutes ago, mmc said:

On this day last year we got our second starter in Teheran (lol) after acquiring Bundy two weeks prior.  We’re already behind last year in terms of rotation help, so hopefully it happens soon, even if it’s not before Christmas 

Yea, once again, comparing this off season to any off season is just not a good idea in terms of timeline.  When it is December 19th and the two biggest names to be signed to contracts are James McCann and who, Adam Eaton (it feels as though I am missing someone)?  It tells you everything you know about the pace of the off season.  The best player to change teams was Raisel Iglesias.  

15 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yea, once again, comparing this off season to any off season is just not a good idea in terms of timeline.  When it is December 19th and the two biggest names to be signed to contracts are James McCann and who, Adam Eaton (it feels as though I am missing someone)?  It tells you everything you know about the pace of the off season.  The best player to change teams was Raisel Iglesias.  

Morton

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Does he really count?   Dude was basically on record as wanting to stay near home or retire, seems like he basically called his shot before FA even started.

Yea, I would include Morton.  I knew there was someone good that I was leaving out.  I think Morton is legit and would have been the perfect 2nd pitcher to acquire.

From a very human standpoint, I'm sure many of the free agent starters would love to know where they're playing by Christmas. But two of the last three off-seasons have been pretty out of the ordinary. 

With so much uncertainty regarding the resumption of play, season length, the vaccine, the upcoming labor negotiations, possible universal DH, possible work stoppage, everything is up in the air right now. 

Players don't want to screw the next guy in line by taking a below market contact, and owners don't want to fork over any cash if there won't be as many, if any games. 

So we're suck in this holding pattern and the slow off-season is only likely to continue until people can get their collective crap together. My guess is we are going to see a lot of late January, early February signings and trades, making for an incredibly stupid off-season. 

A slough of smaller or medium moves made in November, then basically nothing for two months, followed by a flurry of moves a couple weeks ahead of Spring Training.

The Angels figure to add starting pitching, but the odds that the Angels acquire a starting pitcher in the next week are significantly lower than the odds that they acquire a starter from December 26 to February or March.

So I'll say no, the Angels don't get a starting pitcher before Christmas.

keep in mind that CA is pretty much on lock down right now.  

I would guess that there are quite a few free agents who might not want to travel to Socal right now yet they aren't going to just sign with someone else when the Angels might be willing to give them a more competitive offer.  So they wait.  And we wait.  

5 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

keep in mind that CA is pretty much on lock down right now.  

I would guess that there are quite a few free agents who might not want to travel to Socal right now yet they aren't going to just sign with someone else when the Angels might be willing to give them a more competitive offer.  So they wait.  And we wait.  

I don't think a free agent necessarily has to come to CA to negotiate. Minasian can leave CA to visit them or it can be done over the phone or over Zoom. Shoot, they can just present an offer to their agent and the agent can text the player the specifics. 

9 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I don't think a free agent necessarily has to come to CA to negotiate. Minasian can leave CA to visit them or it can be done over the phone or over Zoom. Shoot, they can just present an offer to their agent and the agent can text the player the specifics. 

of course.  but that's not the normal way that it works.  Especially for the higher end guys who are looking at multi-year deals.  My point is that the logistics are more complicated than usual which likely adds time to the process.