• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will Angel fans get a starting pitcher on or before Christmas? 

Angels 1961

3 hours ago, Duren, Duren said:

Not likely this close to Xmas. Especially now with normal routines all out of sync. Probably more moves in January. But spring training will be when the GMs will really be busy.

Right field also could be a position more in play for a player acquisition after hearing Maddon say that Adell needs a season in the minors. 

P_20201217_001931_vHDR_Auto_1.jpg

We already have our RF platoon Ward and Schebler

28 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Because Ohtani may not be able to pitch. Need to go get Jimmy Reese bats to hit some fly balls.

I'm not sure how many people remember or even care to know about Jimmy Reese's fungo abilities, but for those who are curious, here is an SI article from 1979 about Jimmy.  It's too bad nobody recorded Jimmy's fungo demonstrations.  I remember spending more time watching Jimmy than BP.....

An Ongoing Fungoer: California Coach is the oldest and best fungo hitter around.

Edited by eligrba

11 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I'm not sure how many people remember or even care to know about Jimmy Reese's fungo abilities, but for those who are curious, here is an SI article from 1979 about Jimmy.  It's too bad nobody recorded Jimmy's fungo demonstrations.  I remember spending more time watching Jimmy than BP.....

An Ongoing Fungoer: California Coach is the oldest and best fungo hitter around.

He was amazing also roommate of the Babe.

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

Reds Luis Castillo could be on the market. Start with Adell and other prospects.

If I were the Reds, I'd ask for Fletcher in a Castillo deal.

I wouldn't blame them for asking for him, but I'm not sure it benefits the Angels to give him up, especially since he is still pre-arb.

I'm interested to see if a number of free agents sign in the first few days of this week. I wonder if some players are just going to want to go into the holidays knowing where they will be playing so they expedite the process at the beginning of this week.

@Inside Pitch and I had an argument over Chris Archer where IP kept saying his peripherals said he pitched better than results. Mine was, he needs the results, everything else is making excuses for liking the guy for stats. It was my same argument with Tyler Skaggs, here was a guy with all the tools and yet season after season of bent nails. 

I wrote all that to say, what about Chris Archer? One of the noteworthy traits of Archer's early years were 200 inning seasons. Basically four seasons in a row pitching above league average before they traded him to Pittsburg and injuries took hold. He was averaging 94 mph on his fastball while pitching in pain when the Pirates shut him down. 

He has not pitched in over a year, and went through a nerve surgery last June so If you tilt your head far enough you can almost see a guy that could be doing a better than dead cat bounce. He had the tools, he had his burn out schedule and now may have recovered and is ready to pitch instead of just throw hard. 

The Angels could use that guy. Pitches for 180 - 200 innings, just enough to keep most games within reach, with an occasional flash of brilliance. And, for no good reason I can formulate, I think Archer can still be that guy.

Everyone is focused on Spending big on Bauer and flushing the farm for other pitchers while Archer is quietly maybe the best bargain in the off season. You could go one year, you could go three with the last being an option and with how down the market is Archer could be quite the valuable asset.

Or his arm falls off.

Just like anyone else you pick.

On 12/19/2020 at 2:54 PM, Angels 1961 said:

We already have our RF platoon Ward and Schebler

At this point I think you should reread every post you post before you post it to think, will people think I’m being clear here? 

Schleber is on a minor league deal. He’s had three good seasons in 2016 - 2018. In 2019 he was terrible and he had one major league AB last year. 

He can play center apparently, so that’s a bonus. I’d expect him to be at AAA next season and only come up if there is an injury. Last season they didn’t have minor league depth in the OF and ended up promoting Adell one year too early. 

Joc Pederson or someone left handed with a longer track record of success will likely be signed or acquired.