• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Darvish may be available

I'd be on board for us getting Darvish at a fair price, but I'm not sure I agree with the premise of the article.  That premise being, Darvish has enough excess value (expected performance minus contract cost) to get elite prospects.

Not sure about that.  Would Darvish at age 35-36-37 at about $20m per really worth an Adell or Marsh type prospect?  I don't see that.  Even if you like Darvish more than Bauer, you can get some of Bauer's younger years (age 30-34) at maybe $25m a year without giving up an A-level prospect (just a 2nd round draft pick).

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2020/12/16/jesse-rogers-bold-prediction-more-likely-kris-bryant-is-on-cubs-opening-day-roster-than-yu-darvish/

Not sure what a “monster return” would look like for a 34 year old but I am a big Darvish fan. 

The Cubs and Angels could come together for a video game-like trade. Two clubs in headed in different directions. Makes a lot of sense

31 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2020/12/16/jesse-rogers-bold-prediction-more-likely-kris-bryant-is-on-cubs-opening-day-roster-than-yu-darvish/

Not sure what a “monster return” would look like for a 34 year old but I am a big Darvish fan. 

The Cubs and Angels could come together for a video game-like trade. Two clubs in headed in different directions. Makes a lot of sense

Darvish and Contreras plz.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yep. I wonder if they'd do Adell, Stassi, C. Rodriguez and one or two of Barria/Sandoval/Suarez in a package?

Perry saw AA swing a video game-like trade back when he was with Toronto... could we see something similar here with the Angels and Cubs?

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/the-marlins-blue-jays-trade-three-years-later/c-157673846

For the record: Miami sent Mark Buehrle, Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson, John Buck and Emilio Bonifacio to Toronto in exchange for Henderson Alvarez, Adeiny Hechavarria, Yunel Escobar, Jake Marisnick, Anthony Desclafani, Justin Nicolino and Jeff Mathis.  

One reason I think we line up well with the Cubs is that guys we have that have lost some prospect luster could still fill everyday needs for the Cubs...Rengifo, Thaiss, Suarez, Barria...they wouldn’t headline but could step into MLB roles cheaply for the Cubs on Opening Day and would constitute more value there than they would with some other teams. Factor in that a Darvish deal is essentially a salary ‘dump’ in some regards, that makes it a lot easier to understand the motive for each team in consummating a deal without a ton of top talent.  

I think the entire NL Central is in this holding pattern right now, and everyone is waiting to see who will make the first move.

Cardinals - May be losing Wong and Molina, which would make everyone else very competitive comparatively. Or they may re-sign both, which would make other teams selling off more palatable.

Cubs - Losing Quintana and Lester, and Theo, their main decision maker. They may not have enough pitching to compete, which makes selling a strong option. But if none of the other teams in the division invest in winning, they may still have enough to win the division. If another team steps up, they can sell Darvish, Baez, Bryant and Contreras. 

Reds - They had payroll issues, are they fixed now that they've dealt Iglesias? They look like they're going to lose Bauer too. Maybe they should reload with a fire sale which would mean dealing Sonny Gray. Or if their payroll issues are fixed now, and none of the other teams improve, they may still have enough to take the division of a wild card.

Brewers - They can't figure out if they're awesome or not. Lots of young talent, but do they have the funds to patch the holes in their roster? We honestly have no idea if that team is headed for a fire sale or a run of division crowns.

Pirates - They might trade Musgrove I guess.

They're all just kind of staring at each other waiting for the other to blink.