• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels have contacted former Scouting Director Eddie Bane for the GM job!

Chuck

8 hours ago, Justin said:

Jered Weaver, Mark Trumbo, Kole Calhoun, Matt Harvey, and Buster Posey (though the latter two went to college and did not sign, obviously). There are several others but those are just off the top of my head. 

The 2004 class also included the late Nick Adenhart, drafted in one of the teens rounds due to having undergone TJS at the end of his senior HS season.   That was a solid class too (Weave, Trumbo, Adenhart, etc.

If only.....he was dealing in his first MLB start in April 2009.

7 hours ago, DCAngelsFan said:

I'd have to amend this - he was let go shortly after one of the *worst* draft performances ever (2010)

That was J. Pierrepont Reagins telling him who to focus on in the draft.   That was the first hint that Reagins was not the man for the job.

Two of those top 40 overall picks (Bolden and Clarke) never got past A/A+ ball.

Another (Lindsey) never made it to the majors.

Another (Cowart) flopped as a MLB hitter, likely a better pitching prospect?

The 5th (Bedrock Jr.) actually has had a decent MLB career so far.

Edited by Angel Oracle

7 hours ago, Lou said:

Blame the black guy for the white guy f*cking up. 

Nice. 

It was well documented that he was told to go cheap after that robust draft the previous year and draft high risk, high reward athletes that would cost significantly less in the draft. 

Eddie was against this decision and that's what started the rift between the two. 

8 hours ago, Lou said:

And his skill set is in scouting. Someone should hire him, just not as a GM. 

Eddie Bane was special assistant to the Red Sox GM for years. He's just as much qualified as these other candidates who have similar titles. 

9 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

It was well documented that he was told to go cheap after that robust draft the previous year and draft high risk, high reward athletes that would cost significantly less in the draft. 

Eddie was against this decision and that's what started the rift between the two. 

Bullshit. They didn't go cheap.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=4890

7 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Eddie Bane was special assistant to the Red Sox GM for years. He's just as much qualified as these other candidates who have similar titles. 

Wrong again. He was special assistant for player personnel, not to the GM.

The Angels seem to be doing their due diligence.  

Bane certainly lacks the credentials of most of the other candidates but I am sure they've got their reasons for contacting him.  

I could actually see them bringing him back in the scouting and development department as some sort of VP and assistant GM.  

Not sure he'd be at the top of my list but it would certainly be fun to have him back in some way.  

I wish they did go cheap that draft -- Yelich and Syndergaard sitting right there for them to take and pay them way less.  Imagine the fortunes of this franchise if they selected those two instead?  Both went right after / near their picks.  Others down the line like Simmons, Realmito, etc.  But Yelich & Noah we're absolutely realistic picks.   

12 minutes ago, Fourts said:

I wish they did go cheap that draft -- Yelich and Syndergaard sitting right there for them to take and pay them way less.  Imagine the fortunes of this franchise if they selected those two instead?  Both went right after / near their picks.  Others down the line like Simmons, Realmito, etc.  But Yelich & Noah we're absolutely realistic picks.   

Yup, we could've signed those two for what we signed Kaleb Cowart for alone.  

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

I remember him saying that too, but people I knew in the scouting department at the time said the Angels were just super big into GA and went high risk high reward in part because they were trying to hit HRs after the 2009 draft hit the way it did.  It was a calculated risk that just didn't pan out.

Probably the biggest miss of the group of Bolden and pretty much everyone who saw him at the time believed he was a supreme athlete.   Problem was he was GREAT .vs the talent in MS, and he struggled hard .vs better competition.  From day one I was told he was seen as someone that would need work but that the athleticism made him one of the highest upside guys in the draft..  I never heard of anyone who came across that kid that didn't like him or talk up his effort.  Still sad to think how his life ended.

11 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Perhaps I’m alone in this but I’m really not at all in favor of this whatsoever 

He's really low on my list as far as GM's go.  But I'd love to have him coming back to scout or crosschecker -- etc etc..    I just want someone with more experience outside of scouting to GM unless the plan is to also bring in a head of Baseball Ops...   

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

He's really low on my list as far as GM's go.  But I'd love to have him coming back to scout or crosschecker -- etc etc..    I just want someone with more experience outside of scouting to GM unless the plan is to also bring in a head of Baseball Ops...   

I agree. I wouldn't mind him coming back in any capacity really, doesn't have to be GM. 

He's a great guy, smart baseball mind and really good talent evaluator. There's no question about that. 

Here's a good article about him and his son when with the Red Sox. 

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2013/03/ben_cheringtons_secret_weapon.html

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

The Angels seem to be doing their due diligence.  

Bane certainly lacks the credentials of most of the other candidates but I am sure they've got their reasons for contacting him.  

I could actually see them bringing him back in the scouting and development department as some sort of VP and assistant GM.  

Not sure he'd be at the top of my list but it would certainly be fun to have him back in some way.  

I agree! 

19 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Perhaps I’m alone in this but I’m really not at all in favor of this whatsoever 

I don't think you are.  Bane would be great for AW and a good add to the Angels org.  But I agree with IP that there are others I would prefer to run the baseball side of the org.   My conclusions in that regard are based on my limited info and knowledge though.  

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

I don't think you are.  Bane would be great for AW and a good add to the Angels org.  But I agree with IP that there are others I would prefer to run the baseball side of the org.   My conclusions in that regard are based on my limited info and knowledge though.  

Agreed.

I wouldn't mind him having some type of role he had with the Red Sox with the Angels. It would be great to have a talent evaluator like Bane that's old school but work alongside someone that is into more of the newer advanced stats. 

Logan White as GM and Eddie as assistant to GM would be great. 

36 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Agreed.

I wouldn't mind him having some type of role he had with the Red Sox with the Angels. It would be great to have a talent evaluator like Bane that's old school but work alongside someone that is into more of the newer advanced stats. 

Logan White as GM and Eddie as assistant to GM would be great. 

So now you agree with me when I said no to him as GM.

Thanks. 

32 minutes ago, Lou said:

So now you agree with me when I said no to him as GM.

Thanks. 

I just want him back in the org. After I slept on this I think we could do better on the GM front but would love to see him oversee player personnel and scouting. Assistant GM would work too.

To be fair I'm a bit biased on this, so as it turns out I was the one butthurt. Apologies!