• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

Thing about signing more than one 'closer' is you can create internal problems in the pen. The Angels have a 'closer', which makes it a challenge to sign another player who also sees themselves in that role. 

True, but they can’t go into the season with only two reliable late innings guys (Iglesias and Mayers).

Buttrey hasn’t been.   Pena is more of a middle innings guy.  Claudio is somewhere a little under reliable late innings guy,

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the Twins have signed Alex Colome to a one-year contract with a mutual option for a second year.

Dan Hayes of The Athletic says Colome will make $5 million in 2021 and he and the Twins have a $5.5 million mutual option (or $1.25 million buyout) for 2022. He'll be in the mix for saves along with Taylor Rogers. The 32-year-old's strikeout rate has plummeted the last two seasons as he focused on his cutter, but he induced a ton of weak contact and groundballs in 2020, helping to lead to a microscopic 0.81 ERA. Some regression will obviously come, but Colome should be fine as a late-inning option for the Twins.

25 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

We're jonesning for some HUGE breaking news. lol

Trading for a legit closer may very well end up being the huge breaking news of this winter for the Angels....  At this point people should probably give up the dream.  

Something exciting could still happen, but it seems like a long shot at this point. 

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Colome at that price would have been a nice signing. I don't get why we're passing on all of these late inning guys. Ugh.

Did the Angels pass or did he want an opportunity to close?  Seems like all these one year deals are indicative of a lot players wanting to reenter the market under potentially better conditions next year.

13 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Admitting you have a problem is the first step.  

Well it's been a long time coming for you Stradling -- but as they say...it's never to late.  Takes a big man to admit his faults and i'm very proud you've done so.  I truly look forward to seeing your improvements and reading such in your future replies/posts 😉😜 

5 minutes ago, Fourts said:

Well it's been a long time coming for you Stradling -- but as they say...it's never to late.  Takes a big man to admit his faults and i'm very proud you've done so.  I truly look forward to seeing your improvements and reading such in your future replies/posts 😉😜 

You two assholes can't do the "I know you are but what am I" routine.. @tdawg87and I already did it today.   

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

True, but they can’t go into the season with only two reliable late innings guys (Iglesias and Mayers).

Buttrey hasn’t been.   Pena is more of a middle innings guy.  Claudio is somewhere a little under reliable late innings guy,

Agree. But it does make it more of a challenge. When you're a team like the Yankees, a closer might be willing to go there even in a setup role because they're the Yankees (eff those losers), but the Angels don't get that luxury. They definitely would benefit from a stronger pen, but they'll likely have a hard time of it if they only pursue guys who see themselves as closers. 

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

That the Angels were strongly pursuing Soria and the fact that they were interested in Brad Hand seems to indicate that they are still active in the relief market.

I'm not fully convinced that they are, but they should be and I sure hope they are.

They are not done until Petit and Jose Alvarez are signed

5 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

Yes, but you cannot (and you've been particularly guilty of this, for the record) simply look at that as an overall number. You have to look at individual numbers to see where the problem is.

No one (except possibly Bundy) is raising the bar. Between Bundy, Heaney, Canning, and Barria (roughly 80% of our innings last year) we were a little above average. In other words: Those guys were not the problem. And since we aren't going to have a rotation of aces any time soon, we can accept that as a reasonable start for 2021. 

Our problem has been for several years the floor. Teheran and Sandoval were the vast majority of those innings. Teheran is gone. Sandoval is still developing and likely won't play a major role this year. 

So what's the solution? Overhaul the rotation? Impossible without major cost to payroll and/or trade capital. Bring in an ace? I wanted to, but they chose not to go that route. Add depth: If Quintana and Cobb put up numbers comparable to the guys last year (4-4.5 ERA across the board) and we avoid any disasters, we have a good chance of winning the division simply because Houston and Oakland aren't great either. 

Will the guys in the rotation manage that? I don't know. We hope for that every year, but there seem to be less red flags with these guys than past acquisitions. Ultimafely, though, we'll have to wait and see. 

I'm with you in wanting a TOR arm, but they're obviously unwilling to shell out for one. The front office invariably undervalues them comparable to the market (or other factors, like location preference, screws them over). In lieu of that, a 4-4.5 ERA rotation is still above average. It isn't sexy, but it's sneaky good in the sense that no one is terrible. At this point, that might be what we have to hope for.

Sure call me guilty, but at the end of the day it's about overall result. Individual stats don't mean anything unless the finished product is where we want to be. Trout has 3 MVP's. It's incredible that he's won them, but they don't mean much to the team if they aren't playing in October. 

Maybe our floor is more solidified. Again, that's great. But from a perspective where Arte and company has admitted this offseason things need to change and that they feel it "everyday" about winning for Trout, it's kind of a shame. 

I understand the issues for it. Financially they're tied with two bad contract (Pujols and Upton). I know the prospect capital isn't there.... yet. 

We can look at individual numbers all we want, but the end result will likely be high-scoring games again where we hope the offense will carry us over. Sure, we might take the division, but it might become a quick exit for us when we stack up against other playoff teams. Again, another year in question. 

2 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Sure call me guilty, but at the end of the day it's about overall result. Individual stats don't mean anything unless the finished product is where we want to be. Trout has 3 MVP's. It's incredible that he's won them, but they don't mean much to the team if they aren't playing in October. 

Maybe our floor is more solidified. Again, that's great. But from a perspective where Arte and company has admitted this offseason things need to change and that they feel it "everyday" about winning for Trout, it's kind of a shame. 

I understand the issues for it. Financially they're tied with two bad contract (Pujols and Upton). I know the prospect capital isn't there.... yet. 

We can look at individual numbers all we want, but the end result will likely be high-scoring games again where we hope the offense will carry us over. Sure, we might take the division, but it might become a quick exit for us when we stack up against other playoff teams. Again, another year in question. 

You've missed the point (what's new). You don't fix things by looking at an overall number. You fix things by seeing who is causing the problem and who is not. 

But yeah, post again this nonsense because I doubt you'll get it this time either. 

1 minute ago, Pancake Bear said:

You've missed the point (what's new). You don't fix things by looking at an overall number. You fix things by seeing who is causing the problem and who is not. 

But yeah, post again this nonsense because I doubt you'll get it this time either. 

Alright, SJW. I understand each player plays an individual part in what the overall outcome looks like. Certain players (Quintana, Cobb) come in to help solidify a piece where the Angels needed to get better (Being depth). 

All i'm saying is at the end of the day I see roughly the same outcome and I hope they prove me wrong. 

12 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Alright, SJW. I understand each player plays an individual part in what the overall outcome looks like. Certain players (Quintana, Cobb) come in to help solidify a piece where the Angels needed to get better (Being depth). 

All i'm saying is at the end of the day I see roughly the same outcome and I hope they prove me wrong. 

Haha, bullshit.