Jump to content

How would you spend $40M this offseason?


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Warfarin said:

@stormngt Is correct - he does not have options remaining.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/jaime-barria/18356/stats?position=P

Fangraphs lists options at the top.  The options currently listed are entering the 2020 season.  So - Barria had 1 option entering the 2020 season, and since he got optioned for a good chunk of it, that last option got used up.  Thus, moving forward, he has no options remaining.

 

46 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Thanks for the correction. 

I would think Barria and another player or two could get us a nice player in return.  Thaiss really doesn't have a position and we have Adam's, Marsh, Adell and Trout.  We all know which one is guaranteed an outfield spot. So one is expendable. 

I’m a little surprised he’s out of options. I thought they had three years of options and I also read something about having to spend 20 days in the minors to consider it an option.  He started his first game in early April 2018, and looks to have pitched every fifth day for most of the season.  Then I wasn’t sure this season would even have minor league options since there was no minor league season.  I’d continue to start Barria unless they have a better option.  If they don’t and he can become the next Petit type out of the pen, there’s a lot of value in someone like that.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Beach house and a couple cars probably.  Especially since travel is pretty tough to do right now.

I like your thoughts, and I agree that as much as I'd like Bauer, someone like Gausman is probably far more likely. That said, I would be disinclined to trade Marsh at this point.  We need legit

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Stradling said:

 

I’m a little surprised he’s out of options. I thought they had three years of options and I also read something about having to spend 20 days in the minors to consider it an option.  He started his first game in early April 2018, and looks to have pitched every fifth day for most of the season.  Then I wasn’t sure this season would even have minor league options since there was no minor league season.  I’d continue to start Barria unless they have a better option.  If they don’t and he can become the next Petit type out of the pen, there’s a lot of value in someone like that.  

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=642545#/career/R/pitching/2020/ALL

That's his minor league page, which shows all the transactions of him being optioned back and forth.

This season, players were considered "optioned" if they went to the alternate day training site, which he did for a good chunk of time.

I'm 99% certain he's out of options moving forward.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2020 at 11:35 PM, Second Base said:

4. Sign Alex Avila for 6 million. He wins wherever he goes and he gets on base. The team needs more steady, veteran leadership. 

l wouldn't waste money on 1B or C. l think we're set at those position, besides pitching  the only other position player we need either a SS or a 2B. La Stella might not be that expensive.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok here's a plan...


Sign Guasman ($15m)
Sign Richards ($8m)
Trade with Miami for Starling Marte ($11.5 mil) & Miguel Rojas ($5.5m)... it might cost something like Barreto, Ward and another piece, but it's Miami so we'll win the trade no matter what.

This gives us two quality starting pitchers, one of which could be used as a swing man in the pen if needed. It allows the team to keep Fletcher at second while maintaining a defensive first shortstop who might contribute a bit offensively. And lastly you get a stop gap outfielder who gets on base and plays great defense, thus giving Adell another year of development.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Gausman is gonna get QO’ed, and he’ll take it. Giants have shown no problem absorbing money in deals and it’s straight out of the Dodgers playbook that Zaidi learned under, and for Gausman, a $19m payday would be too good to pass up. He has interest in playing in SF, and the Giants can deal him midseason.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2020 at 9:49 AM, AngelsLakersFan said:

Ok here's a plan...


Sign Guasman ($15m)
Sign Richards ($8m)
Trade with Miami for Starling Marte ($11.5 mil) & Miguel Rojas ($5.5m)... it might cost something like Barreto, Ward and another piece, but it's Miami so we'll win the trade no matter what.

This gives us two quality starting pitchers, one of which could be used as a swing man in the pen if needed. It allows the team to keep Fletcher at second while maintaining a defensive first shortstop who might contribute a bit offensively. And lastly you get a stop gap outfielder who gets on base and plays great defense, thus giving Adell another year of development.

I'd forego that money to Marte/Rojas and instead just toss as much as we can at SP.

Either two mid-tier options (Gausman + Richards?), or more preferably, Bauer + "lotto ticket."  I feel due to COVID, there'll be a lot of bargains in the market.  I'd rather give a bunch of money to Bauer, who'll be our ace, and try to find another decent arm in a sea of free agents.

So, we can see:  Bauer, Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Barria, "lotto ticket SP," Ohtani.   Beyond them, Sandoval and Suarez are in AAA as SP depth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I'd forego that money to Marte/Rojas and instead just toss as much as we can at SP.

Either two mid-tier options (Gausman + Richards?), or more preferably, Bauer + "lotto ticket."  I feel due to COVID, there'll be a lot of bargains in the market.  I'd rather give a bunch of money to Bauer, who'll be our ace, and try to find another decent arm in a sea of free agents.

So, we can see:  Bauer, Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Barria, "lotto ticket SP," Ohtani.   Beyond them, Sandoval and Suarez are in AAA as SP depth.

I dunno, I think i'd rather have the 3 players at $32m than Bauer at $32m... I mean I'd love Bauer but I don't think he is a realistic signing and ultimately not worth the cumulative risk. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...