• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How would you spend $40M this offseason?

efcc-money-ikoyi-lagos-2.jpg

I saw the figure of $40 million to spend this offseason, with all things tolled. Let's have a bit of fun - how would you spend that money? For this we'll still to AAVs, so don't worry about length of contracts. 

Below is a list of estimated 2021 salaries; each player could go for more or less, but I tried to figure out basic groupings of players and an average value for each. Feel free to adjust as you like it, but try to be realistic. These numbers are just a starting point and guesstimate.

$35M Ace starter: Bauer.

$22M Elite position player: Realmuto.

$20M Impact position players: Ozuna, Semien, LeMahieu, Springer.

$15M #3 starters: Stroman, Tanaka, Gausman.

$15M Good position players: Gregorius, Simmons, Cruz, Brantley, Schoop.

$12M questionable/bargain #3s: Ray, Odorizzi, Walker, Paxton, Porcello.

$12M elite reliever: Hendricks.

$10M #4 starters: Minor, Smyly, Milone, Wainwright, Quintana.

$10M solid position players: Pederson, Miller, Turner, La Stella, Cespedes, Hernandez, McCann, Profar, Puig, Villar, Grossman, Molina, Pillar, Kipnis, Galvis, Bradley Jr.

$9M good relievers: Treinen, Colome, Greene, Clippard, Rosenthal, McGee, Soria, Yates.

$8 #5/bargain starters: Richards, Chatwood, Hill, Fiers, Anderson, Cahill.

$6M platoon/good bench players: Cervelli, Flowers, Castro, Avila.

$6M solid relievers: Hunter, Wilson, Bass, May, Holland.

And others. I'm sure there's lots of quibbling with price and categorization, but do your best.

1. Trade prospects for Joe Musgrove, likely increasing payroll by 5 million. 

2. Sign Stroman (I think he'd cost more than 15, but it's your game, and it's fun to play).

3. Sign Richards for 8 million and use him as a long reliever and spot starter until he grows into the elite backend arm he's destined for. (I think he'd cost less). 

4. Sign Alex Avila for 6 million. He wins wherever he goes and he gets on base. The team needs more steady, veteran leadership. 

5. Trevor May for 6 million. Solid, steady, dependable back end arm.

Ohtani, Stroman, Musgrove, Bundy, Canning and Heaney sounds like a pretty solid rotation. And inevitably, when someone gets hurt, or Ohtani skips a start, or someone is ineffective, we'll have Barria ready to step in. And putting Richards and May in the bullpen really extends things, because then you can start using high octane relievers like Middleton and Oliver Ortega in low leverage spots until they're ready. Actually sounds perfect for someone like Suarez or even Hector Yan.

And after next year, when Heaney leaves, and Ohtani, Canning and Musgrove get more expensive, they can insert the likes of Reid Detmers or Chris Rodriguez to offset those costs and maintain a solid pitching staff.

Edited by Second Base

@Angelsjunky You're a warrior man, I love all these threads you create.

However, I am going to scale it back a bit and say I think we probably only have ~20mil to spend.  Let's maybe be a bit generous and say Arte goes to 25mil.

My plan:

1.  DFA Robles + Bedrosian, saving perhapss 7-8mil of arbitration cost.  We now have 32-33mil to spend.

2.  Sign Bauer to a 7/210 deal.  I think if the deal is stretched long enough, he can be secured on a 30mil AAV.

3.  Trade Adell + lower level minor leaguer for DET's Manning

4.  Sign Brad Miller (1/3) to be our utility IF/OF and, perhaps, be our starting 2B if none of our young players step up

Lineup:  SS Fletcher, 1B Walsh, CF Trout, 3B Rendon, DH Ohtani, LF Upton, 2B Miller, RF Ward (Marsh later in year), C Stassi

Bench:  C Bemboom, IF/OF Barreto, IF/OF Rengifo, 1B Pujols

Rotation:  Bauer, Bundy, Heaney, Barria, Canning, Ohtani* - later in year, Manning will emerge as an SP2/SP3

Bullpen:  Mayers, Pena, Andriese, Butteri, Middleton, Ramirez, Barnes, Sandoval, Quijada, Reyes, etc..

Without keeping to the strict request of the thread, I’d do everything possible to (1) sign Bauer, (2) sign or trade for another Bundy type (preferably sign Gausman), and (3) sign or trade for two very good pen arms.

A rotation of Bauer, Gausman, Bundy, Heaney, Canning and potentially Ohtani would be very good (and excellent if everyone stated moderately healthy). 

Simply put, the organization absolutely must bring in no fewer than four quality arms this offseason. That’s a tough task, but it’s the only way for this team to compete. 

But honestly though, here's what I'd do with a little change in values

DFA Bedrosian/Robles/Andriese (saves 9M). So now I can spend $49M 🤪

Sign Trevor Bauer 1yr/$30M

Trade for Joe Musgrove (adds around $4M)

Sign Richards $8M

Find a good bench guy for the remaining $6-$7

Rotation: Bauer, Bundy, Musgrove, Ohtani, Heaney, Canning. (Barria/Sandoval/Richards/Detmers as depth options)

Lineup: Fletcher (SS), Walsh (1B), Trout (CF), Rendon (3B), Ohtani (DH), Stassi (C), Upton/Marsh (LF), Ward/Adell (RF), Barreto/Rengifo (2B)

Bullpen: Mayers, Pena, Richards, Buttery, Middleton, Ramirez, Barnes, Sandoval, Quijada, Reyes, etc..

11 hours ago, Second Base said:

1. Trade prospects for Joe Musgrove, likely increasing payroll by 5 million. 

2. Sign Stroman (I think he'd cost more than 15, but it's your game, and it's fun to play).

3. Sign Richards for 8 million and use him as a long reliever and spot starter until he grows into the elite backend arm he's destined for. (I think he'd cost less). 

4. Sign Alex Avila for 6 million. He wins wherever he goes and he gets on base. The team needs more steady, veteran leadership. 

5. Trevor May for 6 million. Solid, steady, dependable back end arm.

Ohtani, Stroman, Musgrove, Bundy, Canning and Heaney sounds like a pretty solid rotation. And inevitably, when someone gets hurt, or Ohtani skips a start, or someone is ineffective, we'll have Barria ready to step in. And putting Richards and May in the bullpen really extends things, because then you can start using high octane relievers like Middleton and Oliver Ortega in low leverage spots until they're ready. Actually sounds perfect for someone like Suarez or even Hector Yan.

And after next year, when Heaney leaves, and Ohtani, Canning and Musgrove get more expensive, they can insert the likes of Reid Detmers or Chris Rodriguez to offset those costs and maintain a solid pitching staff.

Barria is out of options.  If we are not planning to use him in the rotation next year we should trade him.  I kind of like the idea of trading him.

Question:  why trade for Musgrove instead of staying with Barria.  On the surface it looks like Barria has been better than Musgrove?

29 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Barria is out of options.  If we are not planning to use him in the rotation next year we should trade him.  I kind of like the idea of trading him.

Question:  why trade for Musgrove instead of staying with Barria.  On the surface it looks like Barria has been better than Musgrove?

I'd put Barria in the pen if he's out of options. Musgrove has another level that he's about to reach soon. Reminds me of Zack Wheeler in that respect, where everyone sort of saw it coming a year or two before it happened. 

6 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

But honestly though, here's what I'd do with a little change in values

DFA Bedrosian/Robles/Andriese (saves 9M). So now I can spend $49M 🤪

Sign Trevor Bauer 1yr/$30M

Trade for Joe Musgrove (adds around $4M)

Sign Richards $8M

Find a good bench guy for the remaining $6-$7

Rotation: Bauer, Bundy, Musgrove, Ohtani, Heaney, Canning. (Barria/Sandoval/Richards/Detmers as depth options)

Lineup: Fletcher (SS), Walsh (1B), Trout (CF), Rendon (3B), Ohtani (DH), Stassi (C), Upton/Marsh (LF), Ward/Adell (RF), Barreto/Rengifo (2B)

Bullpen: Mayers, Pena, Richards, Buttery, Middleton, Ramirez, Barnes, Sandoval, Quijada, Reyes, etc..

Just curious, what's makes Musgrove so attractive.  Your the second person to suggest a trade for him.  His career ERA is 4.44

29 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Just curious, what's makes Musgrove so attractive.  Your the second person to suggest a trade for him.  His career ERA is 4.44

Age, prospect pedigree, a team with plenty of reason to move him, control, affordable in salary, great peripherals in ‘20...

Could see Pittsburgh holding onto him though and seeing if he takes another step, then move him at the deadline. If he is putting it together he could be worth a fortune next July. Of course, they take risk in doing that as well. Taillon could also be one to watch next deadline.

Bauer will have his choice of teams to sign with. If he is only signing for one season there are an ample number of teams who have a much better chance of advancing deep in the post season than the Angels. Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Reds, Giants etc. Almost every team will be looking for bullpen help. The Angels need quality arms in the pen if they can’t add two starters. Colome or Hendricks for a closer, Richards and hope that Bauer is amenable to a long term contract, if not then offer Stroman or trade for one. If Fletcher is going to play SS then go after Hernandez or La Stella for 2B. If they want a SS then sign Gregorious for 1 year or two at most.  Trade an outfielder, either Adell, Marsh or Adams for a high end pitching prospect. The AL West should be fairly weak again in 2021 so the Angels should be able to compete. 

7 hours ago, Second Base said:

I'd put Barria in the pen if he's out of options. Musgrove has another level that he's about to reach soon. Reminds me of Zack Wheeler in that respect, where everyone sort of saw it coming a year or two before it happened. 

Remember 2019.  Barria does not do well in the pen.  I believe he has four years club control.  Package him with Adam's, Marsh or someone else and try to get a good pitcher.