• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trevor Bauer on free agency

Docwaukee

9 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Kevin for a young guy you have the most old man fascination with old school stats I've ever seen -- it's actually funny.   The Angels FIP this year is 4.34 -- thats 6th best in the AL.   Not sure that the numbers can really be used cross league but that 4.34 would rank 11th overall in MLB.

They definitely need to add pitching, but the defense has really dinged the pitchers.  They have pitched better than the results, but the defense has been atrocious.

I definitely do. I don’t know all these new fangled stats. I like ops or ops+ for offense and era for pitching. Hey at least I don’t like wins and losses. Maybe one day I’ll get to FIP. I honestly don’t even know what FIP stands for. 🤣

On the topic that’s awesome I had no idea we were 6th in the AL. It just feels like we need a couple an ace maybe another starting pitching who’s good to above average. And a couple lock down bullpen arms. This offense I’m comfortable with going forward. Even if Simmons leaves. What would you say this team pitching wise needs in the offseason? Do you disagree with my sentiments?

4 minutes ago, Fourts said:

I’m expecting more out of our players than an 87 OPS+....but you do you.  

also that was last year for Thaiss.  

if you are happy with our depth, then I don’t know what to say to you.  

I am very much. I think the young guys are good enough. Even if Simmons leaves. Ward Marsh Thaiss Adell we have plenty of depth in the outfield and infield. Even catcher we have at least average depth. 

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

I definitely do. I don’t know all these new fangled stats. I like ops or ops+ for offense and era for pitching. Hey at least I don’t like wins and losses. Maybe one day I’ll get to FIP. I honestly don’t even know what FIP stands for. 🤣

It's not all that fancy or complicated.  Basically it takes K's Walks, HRs allowed and tries to scale it into an ERA.   Essentially it's attempting to remove defense from the equation and focus on what the pitcher is doing to get outs/limit runs on his own.     It's not perfect, there are flaws to it, but it's more predictive than ERA is and is more often than not a better indicator of what the pitcher is capable of than ERA.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

It's not all that fancy or complicated.  Basically it takes K's Walks, HRs allowed and tries to scale it into an ERA.   Essentially it's attempting to remove defense from the equation and focus on what the pitcher is doing to get outs/limit runs on his own.     It's not perfect, there are flaws to it, but it's more predictive than ERA is and is more often than not a better indicator of what the pitcher is capable of than ERA.

Will there be a study guide before the mid term?

But honestly thanks I’ll look it up. Would you say that stat is the best one for pitchers?

6 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

On the topic that’s awesome I had no idea we were 6th in the AL. It just feels like we need a couple an ace maybe another starting pitching who’s good to above average. And a couple lock down bullpen arms. This offense I’m comfortable with going forward. Even if Simmons leaves. What would you say this team pitching wise needs in the offseason? Do you disagree with my sentiments?

Bro, I've been one of those guys that argued closers were overrated even before it became trendy.  I loved the fact that Stoneman was a master of building pens from failed SPs and casts off..   But if ever a team needed someone with some clout in the pen it's these dinks.   I havent looked to see who is available but this might be the first offseason where they actually chase a guy capable of shutting hitters down in the pen.

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

Will there be a study guide before the mid term?

But honestly thanks I’ll look it up. Would you say that stat is the best one for pitchers?

Not the best, not close to it.  But it's fast, it's easy and it's a world better than ERA.   Best of all you don't have to really do a lot of digging to find it.  BBRef, FG -- they all have it listed right after ERA so, you can pretty much cross check one against the other.     The important thing is that the pitching isn't as awful at it seems at first glance.  Pen is a shit show though.

11 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Bro, I've been one of those guys that argued closers were overrated even before it became trendy.  I loved the fact that Stoneman was a master of building pens from failed SPs and casts off..   But if ever a team needed someone with some clout in the pen it's these dinks.   I havent looked to see who is available but this might be the first offseason where they actually chase a guy capable of shutting hitters down in the pen.

That’s what the 2000s teams had, with Percy and then K-Rod.

59 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Not the best, not close to it.  But it's fast, it's easy and it's a world better than ERA.   Best of all you don't have to really do a lot of digging to find it.  BBRef, FG -- they all have it listed right after ERA so, you can pretty much cross check one against the other.     The important thing is that the pitching isn't as awful at it seems at first glance.  Pen is a shit show though.

What would be a good FIP? 

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

That’s what I think I miss about our pen. When Shields would come in it was basically game over. It wasn’t even about Franky to me although he was incredible. Arguably a top 3 at the time closer. But Shields would come in and it didn’t matter who was at the plate. He was as close to game over as it came. I don’t know what the numbers are but that’s just how it felt watching. He’s throw that two seem fast ball inside and every batter would crumble. 

1 hour ago, Game 6 said:

What about ERA+?

Trevor Bauer leads the league at 269. 

ERA+ is just weighted ERA, its a better statistic than raw ERA for sure but like ERA, isn't predictive at all and doesn't really tell us anything other that what the final number was, nothing about the why the final number was what it was.   

I think its fine for cursory comparisons but that's about it.