• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Trout Defensive Decline

happybat4

The way I see it, I won't consider Trout being in decline as player, as a hitter and defender, until he plays 162 games, or something close it it, like in the 130-150 games range. This season, from my standpoint of Trout, it's just whatever. Go ahead and start judging a player's on-the-field performance in a season that has a small amount of games. Trout could steal 30-40 bases if he wanted to. Don't let some stupid numbers let you doubt his abilities. 

51 minutes ago, RendZone said:

Trout has been carrying the team since he got here. Nothing to read here.

Which means absolutely nothing.  This isn’t basketball, it isn’t football.  It is pitcher versus hitter once every 9 batters.  That’s it.  Carrying the team is just another ridiculous narrative.  

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/04/05/mike-trout-on-a-mission-to-improve-his-defense-and-maybe-win-a-gold-glove/

I wrote this a couple seasons ago about why defensive metrics hate Trout so much. After I wrote this he did improve. But I think he’s never going to grade well based on a few factors, which you can read in the story. 

I assume he’ll end up in left in a few years and someone like Marsh will be in center. 

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Which means absolutely nothing.  This isn’t basketball, it isn’t football.  It is pitcher versus hitter once every 9 batters.  That’s it.  Carrying the team is just another ridiculous narrative.  

a basketball star can impact every play.  a football star pretty much every other play.  A baseball star maybe about 10% of the game.  

which means a slight defensive decline has very little overall impact to the team's success.  

probably one of the most impactful seasons by a position player in baseball was Ruth in 1923 with over 14 WAR.  The yankees won the world series that year but also had the best pitching in the league.  

Ruth had 71.6 WAR from 1920-1926 when he came to the yanks and was an absolute dominant force well beyond what Trout has provided from a value standpoint over a similar period.  Yet during that time, there was only the one championship.  There were many season where Ruth, by himself, out homered every other team in the league.  In 1923 he had 50% more batting WAR than the next closest player.  The next season, Ruth almost doubled the next closest player and they didn't win the WS.  

Another way to look at it is that for basketball, your top 2 players can lead you to a championship.  For football, it's probably your top 5.  For baseball it might take 10 or more.  Mike Trout drops that needed 10 to maybe 7 or 8.  

2 hours ago, happybat4 said:

Baseball Reference says his defense has been horrible this year. He also does not seem to be walking much or stealing bases. Is he going to only be 5-7 WAR player now? Still great, but might be time to plus Goodwin in center and move Trout to left. 

Might be time for you to return in making your bat happy.

4 hours ago, happybat4 said:

Baseball Reference says his defense has been horrible this year. He also does not seem to be walking much or stealing bases. Is he going to only be 5-7 WAR player now? Still great, but might be time to plus Goodwin in center and move Trout to left. 

This is why counting stats are bad and predictive data is king.  (saying this because of the 5-7 WAR comment)

Mike Trout is walking less while posting a career low OSwing% meaning he's never swung at fewer balls.   His swing% as a whole is also as a career low, meanwhile his zone% is at a career high -- what this means is he is seeing more strikes than ever and when you couple that with the fact that his barrel% is at a career high the end result is he is swinging less often and making better contact when he does swing.  This is basically the best version of Mike Trout we have seen.  Lastly  His hard hit ball % is at a career high as his his HR/FB rate as is his average exit velocity.

The big difference is he's not being pitched around because Rendon, Ohtani and whatever guy on a hot streak is following behind them is making it harder to pitch around him.   

As far as his defensive numbers go -- a bad start defensively will continue to look bad until the innings pile up.  Defensive metrics as a whole are hard to gauge mostly due to there being a need for 3 or so seasons worth of data to get a real idea of whether or not a guy is a good or bad defender.

3 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/04/05/mike-trout-on-a-mission-to-improve-his-defense-and-maybe-win-a-gold-glove/

I wrote this a couple seasons ago about why defensive metrics hate Trout so much. After I wrote this he did improve. But I think he’s never going to grade well based on a few factors, which you can read in the story. 

I assume he’ll end up in left in a few years and someone like Marsh will be in center. 

Great point about not risking Trout crashing into the fence in making a long run at a drive, because that’s what ended Pete Reiser’s career and has affected Harper’s..

7 hours ago, happybat4 said:

5-7 WAR in a 60 game season would other worldly...

3 minutes ago, happybat4 said:

He's only on pace for 1.5-2 WAR for this season. I'm referring to 5-7 for a full regular season. 

I knew that; just having fun at OP expense. But with 1/3 of the season with 0.9 fWAR including missing 4 games for the birth of his son. He should get at least a 3 fWAR which would 9 fWAR in regular season.