• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

League & Union Reportedly "Closing In" On Deal For 2020 Season

m0nkey

5 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

I wonder if we'll be missed around here.

This CoronaVirus thing is going to continue to be a challenging issue. Can you imagine losing one or two of your top players for 14 days in a very short season. That could cost any team a playoff spot. Yes everyone wants baseball back but it’s going to be a crapshoot as to which teams can avoid the pandemic issue. 

4 minutes ago, RendZone said:

This CoronaVirus thing is going to continue to be a challenging issue. Can you imagine losing one or two of your top players for 14 days in a very short season. That could cost any team a playoff spot. Yes everyone wants baseball back but it’s going to be a crapshoot as to which teams can avoid the pandemic issue. 

Or 6 or 8?  In close quarters, one will quickly become 5, and perhaps the entire team.  

The timing of this is pretty bad - the chances of the season being cancelled entirely just inched up - if any player or coach gets seriously ill, if another team has a cluster like this, before a deal is done? 

The it'll be over.

15 hours ago, Stradling said:

And they’ve said the season would start on the 19th.  So Sunday after the All Star game.  Also you’d think there’s zero harm in starting a day or three earlier.  

Why start the season on a Sunday?    Friday the 17th should have been the start date.

On 6/19/2020 at 8:48 AM, ScottT said:

We are close.... close to hearing a "new" proposal from the owners.... and the players immediately rejecting it

Hey owners, just offer a 66 game, 100% pro-rated deal, and be done with it.    12 games vs each division opponent and 3 games vs each opposite league division opponent except for playing 6 games against your rival, keeps the travel down and is equitable for division competitors.  

Edited by Angel Oracle

6 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

So if we don't have a season, then next year when the virus flares up we don't have another season, then the following year after the collective bargaining agreement expires we have a season-long strike...okay so we're looking at baseball MAYBE by 2023. 

I'm out if that happens. Finished as a fan.

I'm a maybe 

16 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

At the end of the day it's...  why play fewer games where they are guaranteed to get paid, to play more games where the other guy gets paid?

My point was directed at the difference between players being paid for playing 50 games vs 60 games. Any way you slice it, they will make more money. The playoffs are a different matter. As far as playing more games so the other guy gets paid, this occurs every year. 

On 6/18/2020 at 10:18 AM, Tank said:

The prospect of ads on uniforms makes my blood boil. We’ve let advertising affect and invade most everything in our daily surroundings, and it’s too much.

I follow a couple of sports uniform guys on twitter and there are pics of guys who’ve bought new baseball hats and spent the time to remove the new era logo. Many fans supported them for doing so. I’d be inclined to do the same thing on a new jersey if they started putting ads on them.

I agree with this 100% It feels like we're in the minority on this point, though, and I don't understand why. Remember the push-back when MLB was going to allow "Spider-Man" movie ads on the bases? Where is that energy now? The baseball uniform is the last ad-free space at a ball game. It should absolutely remain that way. Chuck has compared uni ads to ads on AngelsWin. With all due respect, I think that's apples to oranges. I may be wrong, as I'm just an elementary-school teacher, but a website like this one has limited revenue streams. Memberships and ads would seem to be about it. So Chuck does what he has to do. I get that. Major-level sports teams have nearly endless revenue streams. I won't get into the minutiae of it all, but you can't take a piss at a stadium without an ad in your face. Literally anything can have a team logo slapped onto it for a nice licensing fee. I recently saw team-branded AA batteries. I mean, how often do you ever see the actual battery? But there you go. Point is, there are limitless advertising opportunities for teams. They don't "need" to sell ad space on uniforms at all. It's just a shameless money grab. Stradling had said "why not?" to the idea, which is, I think, a form of resignation most fans have about this. I would say, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. The uni is the last ad-free space. Keep it that way.