• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Protests and Riots Thread

Does auto insurance cover cars damaged during protests or riots?

Whether intentionally inflicted or incidental, both parked cars and those driven by passers-by can sustain scratches, broken mirrors, smashed windows, or get covered in paint or graffiti. So, what if it happens to your vehicle?

According to the industry-backed Insurance Information Institute, this type of damage is typically covered under optional comprehensive insurance plans, which approximately two-thirds of policyholders have. However, Amy Bach, executive director of consumer advocacy group United Policyholders, says insured vehicle owners should consider a few things before filing a claim.

First, unless someone was injured in the incident, there’s no need to rush to notify your insurer. Instead, take time to assess the damage and get an estimate for repairs. If it’s less than your deductible, or not too much over for you to afford, it could be better to just pay out of pocket rather than risk being put into a higher risk category and have your rates raised for several years to come. Keep in mind that while broken glass claims are often covered on a first-dollar basis with no deductible, they can also contribute to increased rates.

If you do decide to file a claim, Bach advises simply reporting it as vandalism and not adding that a civil commotion was involved, even though it likely won’t lead to rejection. Additional details can be added later if it becomes necessary. Depending on the situation, it’s also possible that collision coverage will apply, particularly in the case of the damage occurring to a moving vehicle.

In any event, if you live or work in an area affected by disruption and have to park your vehicle in a public place, it's a good idea to review your policy to check what kind of coverage you have.

Protesters topple Confederate statue in Virginia capital

The statue of Confederate Gen. Williams Carter Wickham lies on the ground after protesters pulled it down Saturday, June 6, 2020, in Monroe Park in Richmond, Va. The statue had stood in the park since 1891. (Associated Press)

RICHMOND, Va. — A small group of demonstrators toppled a statue of a Confederate general in the the former capital of the Confederacy late Saturday, following a day of largely peaceful protests in the Virginia city.

The statue of Gen. Williams Carter Wickham was pulled from its pedestal in Monroe Park, a Richmond police spokeswoman said. She said she did not know if there were any arrests or damage done to the statue.

A rope had been tied around the Confederate statue, which has stood since 1891, The Richmond Times-Dispatch reported, adding that someone urinated on the statue after it was pulled down. Photos and video from the newspaper showed the what appeared to be red paint splashed or sprayed on the statue.

Larry Fitzgerald: Our first step must be to listen to each other

Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald grew up in Minneapolis and his opening line in an essay he wrote for the New York Times is that the city “taught me about love.”

Fitzgerald’s hometown has seen a lot of other emotions in the last two weeks. The killing of George Floyd by a Minneapolis police officer while three other officers refused to intervene has roiled the city and the country. Fitzgerald wrote that the same neighborhoods he visited with his mother as a child are on fire after “decades of disappointment, anger and frustration” with unequal treatment.

“We are not listening to one another,” Fitzgerald wrote. “Our winter of delay continues to result in cold hearts and lifeless bodies. The language of the unheard has broken the silence and our willful deafness has led to death and destruction. While our nation has struggled under the weight of a biological pandemic we also find our communities ravaged by the insidious disease of injustice.”

Fitzgerald wrote that the “first step must be to listen to one another” and adds that he’s hopeful after seeing “tens of millions of Americans from every race, religion, background and socioeconomic status that are trying to listen to one another and effectuate change” since Floyd’s death.

33 minutes ago, Adam said:

Holy fucking conservatives is the “black lives matter” vs “all lives matter” really the hill you want to die on? Concede this one

Because black people are going to kill them on a hill?  That’s kinda racist Adam. 

6 minutes ago, Tank said:

so how long are all of these protests going to continue? what's their end goal?

I truly think this will be one of those events that starts to alter history.  It comes at a time where we already have high unemployment rates, so some people have some time on their hands.  I think this will continue for a few more weeks.  End goal is going to be social change.  It has to be.  With any luck it will fall on a restructuring of police discipline.  I don’t know the inner workings of unions, but my understanding is everyone in a union pays dues.  It would be amazing if that is how unionized people got paid when they are under review.  So if a cop is on leave pending an investigation, it always seems as though it is paid leave.  I wonder if the union would feel the same way if the pay was coming from the dues paid in.  Would they be more prone to harsher discipline if this was the case?  Would cops support bad cops if the bad cops caused union dues to rise?  Maybe the answer is harsher crimes for cops looking the other way (not reporting it) when a cop crosses the line.  

21 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I truly think this will be one of those events that starts to alter history.  It comes at a time where we already have high unemployment rates, so some people have some time on their hands.  I think this will continue for a few more weeks.  End goal is going to be social change.  It has to be.  With any luck it will fall on a restructuring of police discipline.  I don’t know the inner workings of unions, but my understanding is everyone in a union pays dues.  It would be amazing if that is how unionized people got paid when they are under review.  So if a cop is on leave pending an investigation, it always seems as though it is paid leave.  I wonder if the union would feel the same way if the pay was coming from the dues paid in.  Would they be more prone to harsher discipline if this was the case?  Would cops support bad cops if the bad cops caused union dues to rise?  Maybe the answer is harsher crimes for cops looking the other way (not reporting it) when a cop crosses the line.  

I wonder how long they can sustain their energy to keep marching day after day and week after week.

I agree that there will definitely be change that comes from this. the question is always how much and to what degree. you also have to wonder what it will take for the protestors to be satisfied that real change is now being enacted -- what will that change look like?

3 minutes ago, Tank said:

I wonder how long they can sustain their energy to keep marching day after day and week after week.

I agree that there will definitely be change that comes from this. the question is always how much and to what degree. you also have to wonder what it will take for the protestors to be satisfied that real change is now being enacted -- what will that change look like?

Well its no different than life here on AW. Some people even with a common interest will never agree completely with one another.  Do you think for a minute that the people that want to defund the police departments will ever be happy with a compromise?  I’m sure if you think for a nano second you can come up with a few names from here that won’t ever budge from their opinion as silly as that opinion is.  

33 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I think public sector unions are going to get hit pretty hard and not just the police unions. It’s going to be tough to convince the public why they should exist. The only hold up is the politicians as they are slaves to the unions and their money. They have some serious influence in that department. Republicans have generally been opposed to them so we’ll see what direction the Dems take on this subject 

Edited by Jason

3 hours ago, Redondo said:

Protesters topple Confederate statue in Virginia capital

The statue of Confederate Gen. Williams Carter Wickham lies on the ground after protesters pulled it down Saturday, June 6, 2020, in Monroe Park in Richmond, Va. The statue had stood in the park since 1891. (Associated Press)

RICHMOND, Va. — A small group of demonstrators toppled a statue of a Confederate general in the the former capital of the Confederacy late Saturday, following a day of largely peaceful protests in the Virginia city.

The statue of Gen. Williams Carter Wickham was pulled from its pedestal in Monroe Park, a Richmond police spokeswoman said. She said she did not know if there were any arrests or damage done to the statue.

A rope had been tied around the Confederate statue, which has stood since 1891, The Richmond Times-Dispatch reported, adding that someone urinated on the statue after it was pulled down. Photos and video from the newspaper showed the what appeared to be red paint splashed or sprayed on the statue.

Good.