• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Doug Eddings Game

5 hours ago, Mark PT said:

Oh you are barking up the wrong tree. I went to Brinkman-Freoming School in 1996 and yes it is the correct mechanic and I've worked all the way to Div 1.

If you think the out (fist) is the correct mechanic for a dropped 3rd strike then get your money back

17 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

If you think the out (fist) is the correct mechanic for a dropped 3rd strike then get your money back

Get qualified then come back. Or provide proof that I am wrong. Also ask this question, why was the game not protested or why was the umpire not reprimanded? An umpire can use the fist-pump to indicate strike or the point or any motion (there is no definite standard) so unless he vocalized the words "your out" there was no out recorded.  

On 5/21/2020 at 2:55 PM, Kevinb said:

But even so they won 3 straight after that game. Even if you want to say well it gave the White Sox momentum for game 3 then what about game 4? The Angels go from 1 game up in the series to 1 game down in the series and they completely fold? But the White Sox were down 1 game in the series and they fought back evened it up and won 4 straight. It is what it is now. But I  believe the White Sox were the best team that year, they routed the Angels 4-1. 

i think you're discounting how important a shift in momentum can be.

we saw the same shift in '86 against boston.

the kings suffered from the same shift in '93 against the canadiens.

28 minutes ago, Tank said:

i think you're discounting how important a shift in momentum can be.

we saw the same shift in '86 against boston.

the kings suffered from the same shift in '93 against the canadiens.

I was also thinking of this example.  McSorely getting caught with the "illegal" stick changed the course of that series.

4 hours ago, Mark PT said:

Get qualified then come back. Or provide proof that I am wrong. Also ask this question, why was the game not protested or why was the umpire not reprimanded? An umpire can use the fist-pump to indicate strike or the point or any motion (there is no definite standard) so unless he vocalized the words "your out" there was no out recorded.  

On that specific play the fist call is what set the Angels off. Erstad is screaming showing the fist. Scioscia, longtime catcher, is doing the same. Watch any compilation video on MLB dropped 3rd strikes and you will not see any out call (unless this game is in there) The only mechanic I have ever seen is strike signal then safe sign, open hand, or finger pointing towards the dirt. Personally I signal strike then verbally yell "no catch, no catch" then signal safe. 

Furthermore Eddings admitted he screwed up by publicly stating he'd change his mechanic. (Which wasn't entirely honest because I believe video footage from previous games showed Eddings did not use that out call for dropped 3rd strikes) Basically Pierz stole a call in a pre-replay era. 

https://www.newspapers.com/image/?clipping_id=24576277&fcfToken=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJmcmVlLXZpZXctaWQiOjI2MTY4NjI3MiwiaWF0IjoxNTkwNjExMjM2LCJleHAiOjE1OTA2OTc2MzZ9.mRJqEBhqYtvoC56Pzaz2d-HZhq7rQJnUI9a-LN0cyzs

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

On that specific play the fist call is what set the Angels off. Erstad is screaming showing the fist. Scioscia, longtime catcher, is doing the same. Watch any compilation video on MLB dropped 3rd strikes and you will not see any out call (unless this game is in there) The only mechanic I have ever seen is strike signal then safe sign, open hand, or finger pointing towards the dirt. Personally I signal strike then verbally yell "no catch, no catch" then signal safe. 

Furthermore Eddings admitted he screwed up by publicly stating he'd change his mechanic. (Which wasn't entirely honest because I believe video footage from previous games showed Eddings did not use that out call for dropped 3rd strikes) Basically Pierz stole a call in a pre-replay era. 

https://www.newspapers.com/image/?clipping_id=24576277&fcfToken=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJmcmVlLXZpZXctaWQiOjI2MTY4NjI3MiwiaWF0IjoxNTkwNjExMjM2LCJleHAiOjE1OTA2OTc2MzZ9.mRJqEBhqYtvoC56Pzaz2d-HZhq7rQJnUI9a-LN0cyzs

Yes, all you said was correct. Here is what I mean. If an umpire changes his mechanic, he is wrong and being confusing. Two, if he verbalized, like you said you always do (which is what an umpire should do, then he is also wrong. But the fist pump has been used by many umpires in the past. There is no convention in the rule book or umpires manual (unless the changed it do to this type of ambiguity since the early 2000s) regarding specific mechanics for strike (balls were supposed to be verbalized but often were just silent). My argument has always been that unless he vocalized the catcher should have tagged the bat/runner. But, again, yes if he changed his mechanic, he screwed up.

• 8 months later...
47 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I don't really understand this thread to begin with or why it was bumped for the politics.  that why I got rid of that crap.  

there is a nice little debate on umpiring though.  

Most of my bumps have a hidden motivation.

To the original post, im glad it was included about how they got screwed by the rain delay and their travel day.

Man. 2000s should have been our decade. Too bad boston finally put it all together. The white sox has their year. And arod finally showed up in the playoffs.

Doesnt help much. But at least everyone who bounced us won it all that year. Top of my head, mostly by sweeps (at least in 04 and 05).

I believe Sosh did protest the playoff game....and I have yet to see Dougie Eddings in any playoff series since. I do recall - in one Angels regular season road game - Eddings effed up a call. Sosh asked for replay. Call got over turned. Later that SAME GAME - Eddings blew another call (at second base - if memory serves me) and once again, Sosh asks for replay.

The call was UPHELD - because to over turned Eddings TWICE IN ONE GAME would have looked really bad.

That 2nd call was way, way wrong (worse than call #1)....but MLB backed up their boy. 

FACE IT: Doug Eddings has always been a crap ump - who feels it necessary to fire the ball back to the pitcher instead of handing the ball to the catcher. Once - with Weaver on the mound - Eddings threw a "50 cent-type" throw back to the mound. Weav just glared at Eddings. I think he handed the balls to the catcher the rest of that game. 

IN CONCLUSION: Doug Eddings blows....

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I don't really understand this thread to begin with or why it was bumped for the politics.  that why I got rid of that crap.  

there is a nice little debate on umpiring though.  

Thank you for deleting the original post. It seems politics are allowed here if it's only one kind. 

I'm done with that forum. Don't need that shit leaking here.