• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tokyo Pros

Taylor

My wife and I are planning a trip to Tokyo in September for our 5th anniversary. Any pro tips?

We're going to have enough credit card points to cover all our hotels, but we'll likely pay out of pocket for flights. We're also going to spend a couple days at Tokyo Disney (apparently, Tokyo Disney Sea is the best theme park in the world).

You can take the train everywhere.  They make the city pretty English friendly.  Really depends on what you want to do.  

But I recommend taking the bullet train south, and visiting Hiroshima.  It is a surreal place that really hits you.  This is almost a must visit. 

On my family side, Kamakura city about an hour outside of Tokyo.  It's pretty famous for it's temples, and you could do a hike exploring many of them.  

Also small provinces have guest hostels for foreigners that is really affordable.  Usually in very rural areas for you to explore.  

10 hours ago, gotbeer said:

You can take the train everywhere.  They make the city pretty English friendly.  Really depends on what you want to do.  

But I recommend taking the bullet train south, and visiting Hiroshima.  It is a surreal place that really hits you.  This is almost a must visit. 

On my family side, Kamakura city about an hour outside of Tokyo.  It's pretty famous for it's temples, and you could do a hike exploring many of them.  

Also small provinces have guest hostels for foreigners that is really affordable.  Usually in very rural areas for you to explore.  

Kamakura is rad.

Taylor, a few points. 

The japanese are weird as hell, but probably the nicest people on earth (aside from the 30s and 40s). Be sure to get menus in english..... i cant stress that enough.

Try to catch a baseball game. The crowd is fun as hell. (Remember the weird thing).

And dont think there are strippers everywhere. The asian chicks literally dress like asian schoolgirls there.

13 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Thanks, @gotbeer! We definitely want to explore some temples, so perhaps Kamakura City is where we'll go. I'll talk to my wife about Hiroshima, to see if that's something we want to experience on this trip.

Any tips for flying there? Are economy seats unbearable for the long flight?

3 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

The japanese are weird as hell, but probably the nicest people on earth (aside from the 30s and 40s). Be sure to get menus in english..... i cant stress that enough.

Do most restaurants offer menus in English?

3 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Thanks, @gotbeer! We definitely want to explore some temples, so perhaps Kamakura City is where we'll go. I'll talk to my wife about Hiroshima, to see if that's something we want to experience on this trip.

Any tips for flying there? Are economy seats unbearable for the long flight?

When I went, I was a kid, and when I was in college.  So I could have sat on a milk crate and it would have been fine.  I think it's something like an 11 hour flight.  So that's your call.  But I say spend more and be comfortable.  

I'm not big on sushi either but it's obviously a must try when you're in Japan.  I thought it was great, and the prices are much more reasonable (for me) vs here in the states.  You can easily get away with English only in the big tourist cities (though I've only done Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, and Nara).

13 hours ago, Tank said:

like frank Stallone big?

When we were in Europe back in September I saw a poster that Herbie Hancock was performing.  Frank Stallone must have been busy.

Haven't been to Japan yet but a few co-workers who went to Tokyo in the last year stopped in at the ramen musem.  There's actually a bunch of different stands you can go to in order to try the different types.  As others said public transportation is supposed to be easy as the last co-worker who went a few months back didn't even need to use an app because she said there were subways/trains coming every few minutes.  If for any reason you need an app I'd try moovit which has worked great for us in other parts of the world.