• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

RedSox want to package Betts, Price trade

popo85

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Does that ever happen? The "if so-and-so who is currently a one-year rental agrees to an extrnsion..." thing.

mark macgwire when he was traded to st. louis.

there was a lot of chatter that the halos were going to go hard after him that winter, but he liked it in st. louis so much he signed with them instead.

13 hours ago, Blarg said:

By presenting it you are the advocate. It was a bad stance to take, saddling the franchise with another huge contract for a position that does not have a need. Sorry but it was a fools exercise. 

Definition of advocate: "a person who publicly supports or recommends a particular cause or policy."

That is different from bringing up a topic. I even asked it as a question for thought and discussion, not to take a stance one way or the other. Just trying to point out the net advantages and disadvantages.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Does that ever happen? The "if so-and-so who is currently a one-year rental agrees to an extrnsion..." thing.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

I haven't seen it.

Which is yet one more reason why this would be difficult to actually pull off.

10 hours ago, Tank said:

mark macgwire when he was traded to st. louis.

there was a lot of chatter that the halos were going to go hard after him that winter, but he liked it in st. louis so much he signed with them instead.

Moreso than McGwire, we were extremely close to signing Giambi.

On 1/20/2020 at 8:29 AM, Blarg said:

There is absolutely no value in Betts for the Angels. He is a one year rental when they definetely don't need another outfielder. Price is rediculously over priced so Boston would have to split the costs. I just don't see any reason to further beat this to death, pairing of the two is simply a waste of the Angels money and prospects. 

Can’t say I agree. What’s the value in putting together a team everyone will want to watch with 3 of the top position players in the game and Ohtani pitching and hitting bombs? What’s the value in completing a roster that almost certainly gets into the postseason this year, now? Adding Betts and Price does both. I think there’s tremendous value in winning now. 

I do respect the point that trading young controllable assets hurts and *might* hurt in the long run. But prospects aren’t guarantees and flags fly forever. Let’s win now.  

47 minutes ago, JBR said:

I do respect the point that trading young controllable assets hurts and *might* hurt in the long run. But prospects aren’t guarantees and flags fly forever. Let’s win now.  

Actually, I think you’ve missed the point. Winning the WS is never a foregone conclusion. The point in not trading young controllable assets isn’t that we think they’re sure to be good, it’s in large part that they represent valuable currency that shouldn’t be wasted. 

Blowing that currency is what Dipoto did. It was the wrong time and it set the franchise back years. There’s only so much you can buy yourself out of unless the owner just says ‘screw it’ and ups payroll to 300m. Every year there are examples of teams that got ahead of themselves and blew their window through impatience.

Betts and Price do not make us favorites to win this year, and we’d be stuck with Price for better or worse, for richer or poorer, as long as his contract shall last. That contract would give us less flexibility to make moves next season, and trading top prospects on top of it for one season of Betts? That only makes sense if you’re all in. We aren’t and shouldn’t be. 

29 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Actually, I think you’ve missed the point. Winning the WS is never a foregone conclusion. The point in not trading young controllable assets isn’t that we think they’re sure to be good, it’s in large part that they represent valuable currency that shouldn’t be wasted. 

Blowing that currency is what Dipoto did. It was the wrong time and it set the franchise back years. There’s only so much you can buy yourself out of unless the owner just says ‘screw it’ and ups payroll to 300m. Every year there are examples of teams that got ahead of themselves and blew their window through impatience.

Betts and Price do not make us favorites to win this year, and we’d be stuck with Price for better or worse, for richer or poorer, as long as his contract shall last. That contract would give us less flexibility to make moves next season, and trading top prospects on top of it for one season of Betts? That only makes sense if you’re all in. We aren’t and shouldn’t be. 

I’m comfortable being in the camp that says winning this year and next is what matters most and is easier to predict (though also not guaranteed). I totally get that the Angels have been burned before going for it. I’m bummed that we have nothing but one division flag to show for the past decade. 

My perspective is that Betts and Price make them better in the next couple years, especially in 2020, when they’ll have Trout, Rendon, Ohtani, and Simmons (who could well be gone after) all in their prime. That’s a special core and if you add Betts all of a sudden it’s incredible. In 3-4 years those dudes might well be some combination of gone or in decline, minus Ohtani. It’d be cool if Adell and Marsh and some of the other prospects we’re quality players by that time, but I’d rather have the crazy lineup now and pad the rotation with Price. Would love a bullpen upgrade too to help. 

What I want to avoid is not fully going for it now and miss out on a special 2020 and then regret it later when the stars start to decline and the kids may or may not be ready to rise. 

47 minutes ago, JBR said:

I’m comfortable being in the camp that says winning this year and next is what matters most and is easier to predict (though also not guaranteed). I totally get that the Angels have been burned before going for it. I’m bummed that we have nothing but one division flag to show for the past decade. 

My perspective is that Betts and Price make them better in the next couple years, especially in 2020, when they’ll have Trout, Rendon, Ohtani, and Simmons (who could well be gone after) all in their prime. That’s a special core and if you add Betts all of a sudden it’s incredible. In 3-4 years those dudes might well be some combination of gone or in decline, minus Ohtani. It’d be cool if Adell and Marsh and some of the other prospects we’re quality players by that time, but I’d rather have the crazy lineup now and pad the rotation with Price. Would love a bullpen upgrade too to help. 

What I want to avoid is not fully going for it now and miss out on a special 2020 and then regret it later when the stars start to decline and the kids may or may not be ready to rise. 

You think they can just magically keep Betts beyond 2020? That's, uh, not how it works. And I don't think Moreno is interested in paying 360(or more) million to a guy who doesn't pitch (actually, I don't think anyone is paying that much even to someone who does pitch). 

Price is a gigantic injury risk. He's had elbow issues in recent years. He's far from a sure thing to be healthy. 

Making a move like that would set the farm back a bit, depending just how much it cost. It would destroy payroll, limiting flexibility going forward with Price's contract (depending how much Boston paid down - wouldn't expect much; at most 10m a season). 

When that colossally stupid idea crashes and burns, the only way forward is to try to spend your way out of it, which almost never is successful. Most likely it would be 2013 and onward redux. 

Thanks, but no thanks. I've been there, seen that show. It's a trainwreck. The only way forward is by being patient. Going full Dipoto is what stupid teams do. You apparently don't get that.

11 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

You think they can just magically keep Betts beyond 2020? That's, uh, not how it works. And I don't think Moreno is interested in paying 360(or more) million to a guy who doesn't pitch (actually, I don't think anyone is paying that much even to someone who does pitch). 

Price is a gigantic injury risk. He's had elbow issues in recent years. He's far from a sure thing to be healthy. 

Making a move like that would set the farm back a bit, depending just how much it cost. It would destroy payroll, limiting flexibility going forward with Price's contract (depending how much Boston paid down - wouldn't expect much; at most 10m a season). 

When that colossally stupid idea crashes and burns, the only way forward is to try to spend your way out of it, which almost never is successful. Most likely it would be 2013 and onward redux. 

Thanks, but no thanks. I've been there, seen that show. It's a trainwreck. The only way forward is by being patient. Going full Dipoto is what stupid teams do. You apparently don't get that.

Why so unkind? 

Man, if

• Price were just a tad bit better/3 years younger (or they would take Upton)

AND

• We could do this without giving up Adell

I'd be all over this -- even if we'd only get Betts for a year. Because, Man, what a fun year. Trout, Betts, Rendon, Ohtani, Simmons - in other words, five of the top 15 most entertaining players in the world -- on the same team? With Fletcher, La Stella, and Castro providing support? And Adell in the wings? Heck, Pujols' corpse is probably going to move up a spot or two in the HR list.

I know it's daft - but, like drinking tequila  in Florida trailer park,  it would be DAMN fun.

1 hour ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

Man, if

• Price were just a tad bit better/3 years younger (or they would take Upton)

AND

• We could do this without giving up Adell

I'd be all over this -- even if we'd only get Betts for a year. Because, Man, what a fun year. Trout, Betts, Rendon, Ohtani, Simmons - in other words, five of the top 15 most entertaining players in the world -- on the same team? With Fletcher, La Stella, and Castro providing support? And Adell in the wings? Heck, Pujols' corpse is probably going to move up a spot or two in the HR list.

I know it's daft - but, like drinking tequila  in Florida trailer park,  it would be DAMN fun.

If the queen had balls she'd be the king.

17 hours ago, Jay said:

Betts would be yet another instance of the Angels fulfilling a need they don't have.

Pitching, pitching, pitching.

Great where can we get pitching pitching pitching now?
If you cant get that, do you just give up and do nothing?
Im not advocating for the trade but right now there are a lot more bats out there than arms.
It cant be so one track minded.