• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Maddon on Ohtani

Dtwncbad

9 minutes ago, RBM said:

That would work if Walsh shows he is capable of pitching and hitting at an MLB level.

I don't think it will be a problem if Maddon has Ohtani hit when he pitches. You rarely see relief pitchers hit in the NL because managers use double switches and pinch hitters. The 26 man roster coupled with Ohtani's roster spot as a two way player also gives Maddon/Eppler options.

I talked to Ausmus and Maddon about the possibility of Ohtani playing the outfield just for one inning or a portion of an inning  until his next AB. It would be like the opposite of a double switch, just to get him one more AB after he’s done pitching. 

It would obviously depend on the inning and score and where they were in the lineup and who they had in the game and on the bench at the time, but it’s something both managers admitted was worth considering. I dont think it would happen regularly, but maybe a few times a year. 

5 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

Back when Ohtani first came over, there was an article out asking different pitchers whether it was feasible to be a two way player. Some expressed skepticism, saying it was hard enough on the body pitching every five days, they couldn’t imagine hitting three days a week also. 

But, hey, the guys on here who work 9-5 jobs think they’re babying him, so clearly we should listen to their expertise.

during finals week last month I gave a 7th grade history final on the same day I gave an 8th grade history final. that obviously makes me imminently qualified to evaluate how often ohtani should hit and pitch this coming season.

plus we're going to be having lunch together each Wednesday the team is home, so I'll have regular updates for everyone.

I think we'll probably eat at Northwoods inn and see how well he handles tossing peanut shells on the floor. that by itself will tell me a great deal about where he is in his recovery program.

7 hours ago, Tank said:

during finals week last month I gave a 7th grade history final on the same day I gave an 8th grade history final. that obviously makes me imminently qualified to evaluate how often ohtani should hit and pitch this coming season.

Let us know when it becomes official!

14 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Hitting injuries almost always come from either  playing the field or baserunning.

How many games have the Angels players missed getting a hand fracture from an inside pitch? That is probably the most common offense injury that reduces player time. 

8 minutes ago, Blarg said:

How many games have the Angels players missed getting a hand fracture from an inside pitch? That is probably the most common offense injury that reduces player time. 

Last year: 

La Stella: foul ball off knee

Goodwin: hit by pitch 

Simmons: Running the bases

Cozart: Running the bases

Upton, Smith, Lucroy, Trout, Ohtani all got hurt either with repetitive use injuries or in the field. 

I’m sure I’m forgetting some.