• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cole was never going to come to the Angels.

halonatic13

7 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

When I talked to him at the All-Star Game he was asking me a bunch of questions about the Angels future, their prospects, whether they’d re-sign Simmons. He told me he remembered his days going to Angels games and hoped to see the franchise once again be good.

I never believed it was a slam dunk that he’d sign with the Angels, but I always believed they had a significant chance. 

I am sure he had legitimate interest in the Angels, but if the Yankees offer the most money and offer the best chance at the WS, it’s understandable 

I thought I read that the Dodgers weren’t given a chance to counter offer the Yankees winning bid. Does anyone know if that’s true? I wonder if Cole considered the Angels and Dodgers but all things being equal in their offers he preferred the Yankees for reasons beyond the fact they had a better chance to win the WS? It just seems like keeping that sign is a little crazy if you really didn’t like the team a lot. It appears from the outside like he wanted a great contract and once the team he preferred offered it to him it didn’t really matter what the other teams offered that was gonna be good enough. Just my thoughts. 

Hi guys - sorry to butt in, Yankees fan here.

I just wanted to say a couple of things. One, even though it seems the Angels beat the pants off of us a decade ago, I'm rooting for them - my loathing of the Astros is almost reaching Red Sox proportions, for obvious reasons. Billy Eppler did a fine job  when he was with the Yankees - I hope he does well.

Regarding Cole, that's the real sign. There was actually a controversy in NY right after the press conference - twitter, all over sports radio, etc... - with people claiming that sign wasn't the real thing.  Cole kept the sign for years and then it went in the closet as it was aging and needed to be preserved. He didn't even know his parents still had it, lol.  You can see the faded pinstripes - and, as people have mentioned, if he were going to fake the sign, why would he not use the original blue letters? Those faded into gold with time.

Cole said in his press conference that he instructed Boras to contact Brian Cashman to try and get this done. That doesn't surprise me, he has been a Yankees fan all his life; he told stories of  running home and watching games that were on at 4 pm - and of course we know he went to the 2001 WS.  He did go to Angels games - and I have no doubt he rooted for them to win when he went.  I don't think the Dodgers had a real chance - it is true that they weren't given a chance to match/up the bid, which IMO they would have done.  It seems the Angels bowed out before that.  I think both CA teams had a shot, but I think both were always behind the eight ball. If you saw Cole's press conference, you could truly see how much being a Yankee meant to him. Oh and he's not one of "those" fans - he's up on Yankee history, etc..

I kind of think the Angels made out ok anyway as I'm not sure even Cole would have been enough to make them WS contenders. With the Yankees, they needed him to help get them over the top.

Good luck to the Halos in 2020!

59 minutes ago, Betsy Tarr said:

I just wanted to say a couple of things. One, even though it seems the Angels beat the pants off of us a decade ago, I'm rooting for them - my loathing of the Astros is almost reaching Red Sox proportions, for obvious reasons. Billy Eppler did a fine job  when he was with the Yankees - I hope he does well.

Regarding Cole, that's the real sign. There was actually a controversy in NY right after the press conference - twitter, all over sports radio, etc... - with people claiming that sign wasn't the real thing.  Cole kept the sign for years and then it went in the closet as it was aging and needed to be preserved. He didn't even know his parents still had it, lol.  You can see the faded pinstripes - and, as people have mentioned, if he were going to fake the sign, why would he not use the original blue letters? Those faded into gold with time.

Cole said in his press conference that he instructed Boras to contact Brian Cashman to try and get this done. That doesn't surprise me, he has been a Yankees fan all his life; he told stories of  running home and watching games that were on at 4 pm - and of course we know he went to the 2001 WS.  He did go to Angels games - and I have no doubt he rooted for them to win when he went.  I don't think the Dodgers had a real chance - it is true that they weren't given a chance to match/up the bid, which IMO they would have done.  It seems the Angels bowed out before that.  I think both CA teams had a shot, but I think both were always behind the eight ball. If you saw Cole's press conference, you could truly see how much being a Yankee meant to him. Oh and he's not one of "those" fans - he's up on Yankee history, etc..

I kind of think the Angels made out ok anyway as I'm not sure even Cole would have been enough to make them WS contenders. With the Yankees, they needed him to help get them over the top.

blah, blah, blah . . . 

he signed with the yankees because they offered him $324 Million.

That's it. 

1 hour ago, Betsy Tarr said:

Arte was definitely wanted to get Cole and Rendon. Seemed to me Arte loved Rendon and was getting him no matter what. No doubt in my mind Arte would have gotten both of them if he accepted our offer.

22 minutes ago, Betsy Tarr said:

I'm a bit shocked, lol, but...ok, I don't know what his problem is. I was just trying to explain the situation from the other side, but........Merry Christmas anyway.

You don’t have to leave. People here are just kinda on edge from us whiffing on the pitching market.

There was nothing wrong with your post.