• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

La Stella at 1B?

Pancake Bear

If we assume Fletcher isn’t getting moved (as I hope) and it’s Rengifo, where does La Stella play? Obviously it depends how you solve the Pujols conundrum. If he’s gifted regular starts regardless, it doesn’t matter. 

But, I mean...

CFB1366D-73EE-4F9C-8887-9538BEAA1FC7.jpeg.bf7458733b77d0489e4b3975cccb1368.jpeg

I dunno how you can justify Albert playing every day under the circumstances. 

La Stella isn’t exactly gifted defensively, to say the least. Fletcher is elite defensively and solid enough offensively. I feel like if Tommy La Stella is still hitting like Tommy La All Star next season, you gotta try him at 1B when Ohtani is DHing and maybe DH when Ohtani is out of the lineup.

Clearly Rendon is playing every day, as is Simmons. Obviously, with potential injuries, a hole may open up, or La Stella may not be the same player in 2020. But Fletcher seems to indicate 1B is a legitimate possibility. 

Thoughts? Obviously we don’t know who is getting moved for pitching yet, but we can still speculate. 

This was my thought as well.   

Pujols DHs 60 games and plays 1B for 40 games, Ohtani DHs 100 games, and Stella gets the other 120 1B starts and also filling in elsewhere as needed.

Or, if Pujols indeed can't handle DHing much (bad stats there in 2019), have LaStella take 40 DH starts and 80 1B starts and Pujols take 20 DH starts and 80 1B starts. 

Pujols at 40 should not be getting over 100 total starts, especially with both Ohtani and Stella providing better bats. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

2 minutes ago, Hubs said:

La Stella probably gets 20 starts at 2nd, maybe 40.

Fletcher can play 20 at SS and 20 in LF, and have 10 off too.

Rengifo is the odd man out, but he also has the most control.

Where does Thaiss fit in?

Thaiss is probably in the minors unless there’s injury or more than Rengifo is moved. 

You know, the Angels could really go nuts for offense and sign Castellanos too instead of an arm. He could start in RF, and transition to 1B as year goes on. Sigh Keuchel.

Option 1) Flip Goodwin and a prospect to Cincy for DeSclafani and Barnhart or Casali.
Option 2) Or go even further on offense. send Goodwin and better prospects to Chicago for Contreras and Quintana.

Option 1:

Rotation: Keuchel, Ohtani, Heaney, DeSclafani, Bundy

Lineup: Fletcher 2B, Trout CF, Rendon 3B, Ohtani DH, Upton LF, Castellanos RF/1B, Simmons SS, Pujols/La Stella 1B, Barnhart/Casali C

Eventually, Adell in RF and Castellanos at 1B.

Option 2: 

Rotation: Keuchel, Quintana, Ohtani, Heaney, Bundy

Lineup: Fletcher 2B, Trout CF, Rendon 3B, Ohtani DH, Upton LF, Castellanos RF/1B, Contreras C, Simmons SS, La Stella/Pujols 1B Simmons SS

And again, eventually Adell in RF and Castellanos at 1B.

They could go the Minnesota/pre-Cole Yankees route and build an absolutely ridiculous offensive team.

Edited by totdprods

I think thats obviously part of the plan, as is Fletchers flexibility... but i also think come ST that LaStella could be traded once hes proven healthy.   There are a lot of teams looking for 2B help it would seem, one would think there is a market and now would be the time to move him in his last year with no place to play in the future really.
He would probably be a good short term solution at 1B, but i think wed all rather see Thaiss or Ward take that role if not traded themsevles.  

I still dont understand this. It's not little league he's played 5 and 1/3 innings there in his Major League career.

But, CJ Cron was a dog shit fielder over there but LaStella will be golden?

Maddon got rid of him, what makes you think he would want to place him at a position he played 1/3rd of an inning at in Chicago under him? LaStella is either a 3rd baseman or a 2nd baseman.

Which is why I would believe he is trade bait over Rengifo as Rengifo could play the corner outfield spots and SS.

Maddon likes positional flexibility!

I think LaStella gets traded. They should sell while his value is high. He is on an expiring contract at the end of this year. $2.9 ml. The team could have Thaiss be the 1b/3b backup, and save over $2mil which could go to help get a pitcher or catcher and stay under the tax. And the team can use Rengifo in the utility mid inf spot.  Five years each of Thaiss & Rengifo vs one year of LaStella.

Pujols

Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+
vs RHP 122   364 326 35 77 13 0 12 56 2 0 29 46 .236 .299 .387 .686 126 14 3 0 6 0 4 .237 88 83
vs LHP 76   181 165 20 43 9 0 11 37 1 0 14 22 .261 .315 .515 .830 85 7 0 0 2 1 2 .239 123 113

La Stella

Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+
vs RHP 73   231 209 39 64 6 0 13 37 0 0 15 20 .306 .358 .522 .880 109 8 2 0 0 0 2 .290 111 132
vs LHP 48   90 83 10 22 2 0 3 7 0 0 5 8 .265 .315 .398 .712 33 0 1 0 0 0 0 .264 73 86

I think it will all come down to if La Stella can handle the glove at 1B.  But it does seem like an ideal platoon.

3 minutes ago, ettin said:

Pujols will be the 26th man on our roster in 2020 and will likely only hit against lefties and in certain pinch-hit situations for the most part. This is the year he is relegated to more of a part-time role in my opinion.

I hope so. This was already floated before last season by Ausmus so there’s clearly already internal recognition that Pujols needs to pull his weight, and it’s obviously also been made clear to him that his playing time is not guaranteed. 

19 hours ago, ettin said:

Pujols will be the 26th man on our roster in 2020 and will likely only hit against lefties and in certain pinch-hit situations for the most part. This is the year he is relegated to more of a part-time role in my opinion.

I hope that is right but I think we are stuck with the corpse of Pujols in the lineup for 75%+ of the games he is healthy for for the next two years.

I think the big thing is c that we need to find a manager brave enough to sit Pujols, and an alternative good enough to surpass him on the depth chart. He's 40 years old and the power and OBP are no longer viable strengths.

La Stella might be it, but obviously he's a small target at 1B, and not really experienced there. Thaiss would be the most ideal scenario. Where he plays some this season and takes over fully when he's ready, probably by the all Star break.