• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout vs Cole - something to think about

Angel Oracle

Cole got a contract with a total worth 3/4 of what Trout's new contract is, and is getting AAV of $1 million more than Trout.

Trout has been a superstar for all 8 seasons.    Cole has had superstar caliber seasons for THREE out of SEVEN seasons (2015 and 2018-2019).

We can discount the Houston cheating, because he had a lower ERA away from Houston in 2019.

Cole may well be in a peak period for say 3-4 years.    But if he falls off after that, 9 years/$324 million is quite the albatross of a contract.   Halos have already gone through that once.

I think Mike Trout is massively underpaid, but also, you can't compare players who hit the open market to those who don't. The situations were different but I think it shows another reason why developing a farm system is so important. It really gives a club leverage to sign the players they develop early to cheap deals before they have to bid against other clubs.

It is better to extend your own superstars, vs bringing them in from elsewhere as FAs.    Can't underestimate knowing all of a player's idiosyncracies.

A strong farm system is essential to long term success here.

With some ten college pitchers expected to go in the first round in June, it is pretty good odds that a college pitcher will be the best guy available at overall pick #10.

On a serious note, the thing I keep coming back to is that Cole will be paid more than Trout for the next nine years. Hard to justify that. Trout is a true 9 WAR player, whereas Cole is probably a 6 WAR player (with one or two 10+/7+ seasons sprinkled in). Both will decline as they age, but whereas a 'declining' Trout might be a 6 WAR player, a declining Cole might 4 WAR. 

So while it sucks that we didn't get Cole, I can't blame Eppler and Arte for not wanting to shell out even more than the Yankees did. 8/$292M (or whatever the Angels offered) was a more than reasonable place to stop.

3 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

On a serious note, the thing I keep coming back to is that Cole will be paid more than Trout for the next nine years. Hard to justify that. Trout is a true 9 WAR player, whereas Cole is probably a 6 WAR player (with one or two 10+/7+ seasons sprinkled in). Both will decline as they age, but whereas a 'declining' Trout might be a 6 WAR player, a declining Cole might 4 WAR. 

So while it sucks that we didn't get Cole, I can't blame Eppler and Arte for not wanting to shell out even more than the Yankees did. 8/$292M (or whatever the Angels offered) was a more than reasonable place to stop.

Once again, these were different situations: comparing how much it costs to sign a FA to how much it costs to extend a player is not fair. It's like saying how can you pay Trout that much when Acuna makes so little? If you don't have the player to extend then you have to pay the premium to sign someone. That's how you justify it. If Trout had hit the open market I'd bet the Yankees would have offered $500 million. The Angels got a steep discount because of player control just like the Braves are getting a steeper discount on Acuna because of even more control.

1 minute ago, eaterfan said:

Once again, these were different situations: comparing how much it costs to sign a FA to how much it costs to extend a player is not fair. It's like saying how can you pay Trout that much when Acuna makes so little? If you don't have the player to extend then you have to pay the premium to sign someone. That's how you justify it. If Trout had hit the open market I'd bet the Yankees would have offered $500 million. 

Exactly why the strongest possible farm system is the way to go.   Eppler is on the right track with that.

20 minutes ago, ukyah said:

the yanks are going to be very happy with cole. they don't care about the money. he's going to dominate and they'll win a world series with him. might as well accept that, then move on with your own business.

Cole puts them over the top, if he stays healthy the balance of power in the AL has shifted.  As much as Cole would have been worth to the Angels he is worth more to the Yankees.