• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Get a load of Joel Sherman

Halodays

Hah, no one is taking Price off their hands. They really screwed themselves on that contract and will have to ride it out like the Angels with Pujols. There is no way the Angels absorb any of that contract even if they give them Betts for free because Mookie is a free agent after next season and Price will still suck ass for two years after that. 

If the Angels were willing to take on David Price (three years, $96 million) and Nathan Eovaldi (three years, $51 million), how little would Boston take in prospects for Betts, who the Red Sox have to know at this point will test free agency next offseason?

If Price were a free agent, he would get, at the most, a 3/45 contract. And he is owed 3/96. 

If Eovaldi were a free agent, he would probably score, at most, a 1/10 pillow contract. And he is owed 3/51.

So by my math, these two are worth a combined 55 mil - at most. Yet hey are owed almost 150 mil. 

9 hours ago, Second Base said:

Tell you what, if they take on Cozart and it doesn't cost the Angels a single prospect, and Gerrit Cole is signed, then sure, I'd do it. 

I mean Price should be a decent back end option going forward. Eovaldi too. If not he projects well into the bullpen, and they get Mookie Betts which helps the offense. Plus they'll get a draft pick when he leaves for free agency.

But I don't anticipate Boston doing that. And at any rate, I wouldn't feel great about bailing the Sox out anyway.

@floplag yeah, let’s have a wild play at this financially.
Upton and Price both have NTC’s. So let’s assume they waive it. Upton would need to be told he will be the 4th option once Marsh is up and Boston will fit is defense better as he ages. 
Price, Betts, Eovaldi adds $76.7M to payroll $146M+$76.7M= $222.7M

If the Angels can dump Cozart and Upton and maybe sweeten the deal by adding in a prospect and maybe Heaney then here’s the money change:
Upton, Cozart and Heaney subtracts $38.7M 
$222.7M - $38.7M= $184M Payroll 

Angels still make a push for Cole and backload his contract so year one he’s making $26M 
$184M+$28M= $210M

Obviously the $210M doesn’t reflect the AAV, just the actual payroll. 
Though this will likely never happen, I wouldn’t mind a complete rotation overhaul as well as an outfield of Adell/Trout/Betts. Definitely a massive risk but chance for good reward. 

it’s hard to see Upton and Cozart being taken by Boston when they are trying to shed salary, but they technically are still shedding tons of salary and contract commitment... 

Upton/Cozart alone compared to Price/Eovaldi/Betts saves Boston $90.03 total over 3 years. $43.03 in year one, $26M in year two and $21 in year 3.
Maybe it’s not as crazy as people think it to be.‬

rotation: Cole/Ohtani/Price/Eovaldi/Canning

Lineup: Fletcher/Betts/Trout/Ohtani/Adell/  Simmons/Pujols/Stassi/LaStella. 

his suggestion is taking on the contracts of Price and Eovaldi for three years of DL stints...to get a season of Betts before he leaves as a free agent next year.

If your thinking is the Angels have already signed Cole...then maybe you don't laugh at the initial offer...but I can't imagine locking up $50 mil a year for 3 years on really what becomes nothing more than rolling the dice on 2020

I'd take on Eovaldi if it meant getting Betts for a lower prospect cost, but Price is a bit much to take on.

And I think that Betts would totally leave after one season, but they would get the qualifying draft pick.

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Except the Dogs didn't take on close to $150 million over 3 years, when making that deal with the Red Sux several years back.

And the year later, the Red Sox won the World Series by using the payroll flexibility.