• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Get a load of Joel Sherman

Halodays

3 minutes ago, Halodays said:

Let's have some fun with this since it's been a slow off-season for the Angels...

https://nypost.com/2019/11/30/red-sox-among-teams-under-pressure-for-hot-stove-splash/

Upton would assuredly have to be part of the package along with Cozart. Now what prospects would the Angels have to send? No Adell or Marsh.

Can’t imagine Upton would be involved - the whole point is for Boston to shed a ton of money. I could see Cozart being tacked on because it’s only a one-year commitment remaining, and it allows the Angels to absorb most/all of the salary involved, but it’d essentially take them out of spending anywhere else - maybe they go nuts and still sign Cole.

Overall though, it just seems really unrealistic. Boston could get multiple prospects for Betts as is, even as a rental. They’d love to dump Price and Eovaldi, sure, but, so they really need to? And would there be so little interest in either, whether this offseason, next deadline, or the offseason following, that they couldn’t still find someone willing to offer something up?

7 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Can’t imagine Upton would be involved - the whole point is for Boston to shed a ton of money. I could see Cozart being tacked on because it’s only a one-year commitment remaining, and it allows the Angels to absorb most/all of the salary involved, but it’d essentially take them out of spending anywhere else - maybe they go nuts and still sign Cole.

Overall though, it just seems really unrealistic. Boston could get multiple prospects for Betts as is, even as a rental. They’d love to dump Price and Eovaldi, sure, but, so they really need to? And would there be so little interest in either, whether this offseason, next deadline, or the offseason following, that they couldn’t still find someone willing to offer something up?

A savings of $90 million still if the Sox take Upton. I know this whole trade scenario is absurd that's why I said let's have some fun with it and play along with some proposed players to send Boston's way.

8 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

Sherman thinks we should fix Boston by taking all their bad contracts so we can suck like them. 

This is how anyone in NY or Boston thinks. And unfortunately someone will help them out, just like the Dodgers did a few years back.

Let them sink in their own shit.

As usual its all about the Red Sox for most of the fishwrap crowd, but, as said, its slow so lets play.

So we would get Price, Eovaldi and Betts on a rental taking on 74M for '20 in the process. 

I assume that would take us out of the Cole market unless were assuming both meaning were taking on over 100 putting us well into lux tax range in fact giving us the highest payroll in mlb for at least the year putting us at somewhere around 240M. 

Bos would have to at least take Cozart back before we event talk about anyone in the top 5-10,  In fact they should be the ones adding prospects to the deal IMO, not us.  They get the salary relief, not that plus good prospects that just silly you do a deal like this to avoid doing that.  And a year of Betts isnt worth enough to justify giving up much. 

Plugging Betts into RF even if only for a year to buy time for Adell/Marsh to blossom isnt the worst idea ive heard, but thats obviously not the real issue.  Is it worth taking on 2 more years of Eovaldi and Price at a combined nearly 50M per.

In the end i would vote no based on how he wrote it, which is in my view very much pro Bos.  its simply too much to take on for 2 guys that you cant count on for 25-30 starts each. 

Now, if Bos wants to eat some of that money, lets say maybe half of Price deal dropping him down to about 15-20M per instead of 32, maybe its a conversation worth having, otherwise, nope.  If we take on that kind of cash and bail them out it needs to be in our favor, not theirs. 

Tell you what, if they take on Cozart and it doesn't cost the Angels a single prospect, and Gerrit Cole is signed, then sure, I'd do it. 

I mean Price should be a decent back end option going forward. Eovaldi too. If not he projects well into the bullpen, and they get Mookie Betts which helps the offense. Plus they'll get a draft pick when he leaves for free agency.

But I don't anticipate Boston doing that. And at any rate, I wouldn't feel great about bailing the Sox out anyway.

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

As usual its all about the Red Sox for most of the fishwrap crowd, but, as said, its slow so lets play.

So we would get Price, Eovaldi and Betts on a rental taking on 74M for '20 in the process. 

I assume that would take us out of the Cole market unless were assuming both meaning were taking on over 100 putting us well into lux tax range in fact giving us the highest payroll in mlb for at least the year putting us at somewhere around 240M. 

Bos would have to at least take Cozart back before we event talk about anyone in the top 5-10,  In fact they should be the ones adding prospects to the deal IMO, not us.  They get the salary relief, not that plus good prospects that just silly you do a deal like this to avoid doing that.  And a year of Betts isnt worth enough to justify giving up much. 

Plugging Betts into RF even if only for a year to buy time for Adell/Marsh to blossom isnt the worst idea ive heard, but thats obviously not the real issue.  Is it worth taking on 2 more years of Eovaldi and Price at a combined nearly 50M per.

In the end i would vote no based on how he wrote it, which is in my view very much pro Bos.  its simply too much to take on for 2 guys that you cant count on for 25-30 starts each. 

Now, if Bos wants to eat some of that money, lets say maybe half of Price deal dropping him down to about 15-20M per instead of 32, maybe its a conversation worth having, otherwise, nope.  If we take on that kind of cash and bail them out it needs to be in our favor, not theirs. 

If this takes them out of the Cole sweepstakes it's a big No!!. Rather have Cole than any of the players Boston would be sending. Betts would be nice but it would be a 1 year rental. Both Price and Eovoldi seem to have health issues. Maybe flipping Eovaldi if possible.

53 minutes ago, Halodays said:

If this takes them out of the Cole sweepstakes it's a big No!!. Rather have Cole than any of the players Boston would be sending. Betts would be nice but it would be a 1 year rental. Both Price and Eovoldi seem to have health issues. Maybe flipping Eovaldi if possible.

It would definitely not take the Red Sox out of the Cole sweepstakes. This only makes sense if the Red Sox get Adell, Canning or Ohtani in return.