• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Epplers “wide net” is baby brained BS

UndertheHalo

This thread reminds me of when I was in middle school and I didn’t really understand all the ins and outs of baseball yet. They traded Orlando Cabrera for Jon Garland and I just did not understand it. OC was a fan favorite and a slick fielding short stop. I then started to understand contracts and how 1 year of a player didn’t have much value, etc..

Of course Eppler is going to feed the media this BS... it’s literally his job.

Casting a wide net isn't aleays meant for lots of fish. Sometimes sharks turn up in those nets. You might even get crabs. Not Trout though. Never Trout. 

But yes, I agree, wide nets is not really what we are going for. 

In all reality, I'm thinking Eppler has made preliminary contact with just about every agent of every player he's interested in. And now the waiting game starts. 

This is where Eppler reaches out and schedules meetings with these agents and players during the winter meetings. That way they can get a better idea as to the interest of the player in coming to Anaheim, and what that might take. Sometimes these deals come together in a matter of minutes in a face to face meeting. Other times it can take a few days to develop.

Just my guess, but I think every upper tier free agent pitcher sits right until Cole is signed. Cole will sign sometimes in mid January, and then we'll see teams, players and agents come together in a flurry of late winter moves and we'll see all the top free agents sign one after the other.

In other words, it'll be another slow moving winter. 

But hey, we'll get Gerrit Cole and Zack Wheeler, so that'll be cool.

32 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Just think (or dream).. If the Angels signed Wheeler and Cole, they would have three starters in their rotation that can touch 100 mph and consistently touch upper 90's. 

Man, that's bringing some 🔥

That is Eppler's big thing. The man is absolutely in love with velocity, and that goes back to his days as a scout. He targeted Alex Meyer in trade, scooped up Ramirez and Robles, obviously liked Ohtani, tried to resign Richards and even signed Matt Harvey all based on upper-90's velo.

I mean shoot, there were a lot of reasons why he liked Pat Sandoval, but specifically, there was believed that he could jump from 92-93 and into the mid-90's, and he was absolutely right. Griffin Canning after he was drafted made a similar jump in mph.

I think if you're looking for a real basic script as to who Eppler will pursue, just follow the radar gun. Cole, obviously. Wheeler too. And surprise, Jake Odorizzi jumped into the mid-90's last year and it looks like a sustainable gain.

The Angels will sign two out of the three.

8 minutes ago, Second Base said:

That is Eppler's big thing. The man is absolutely in love with velocity, and that goes back to his days as a scout. He targeted Alex Meyer in trade, scooped up Ramirez and Robles, obviously liked Ohtani, tried to resign Richards and even signed Matt Harvey all based on upper-90's velo.

I mean shoot, there were a lot of reasons why he liked Pat Sandoval, but specifically, there was believed that he could jump from 92-93 and into the mid-90's, and he was absolutely right. Griffin Canning after he was drafted made a similar jump in mph.

I think if you're looking for a real basic script as to who Eppler will pursue, just follow the radar gun. Cole, obviously. Wheeler too. And surprise, Jake Odorizzi jumped into the mid-90's last year and it looks like a sustainable gain.

The Angels will sign two out of the three.

I'll say this now... as much as I want two legit arms and a bat, if we signed Cole and Wheeler and Arte/Eppler said they were out of money and didn't make another big signing or major trade I would feel pretty good about rolling into 2020 with Cole, Ohtani and Wheeler as the top three, with Canning, Heaney and Sandoval to claim two of the remaining spots. 

The team could still make some good low cost moves like Martin Maldonado or Jason Castro at C, a right handed OF bat to platoon with Goodwin in (Adam Jones, Cameron Maybin, both of whom can play CF if needed in a pinch) and possibly a utility bat first guy who can DH, play 1B, 3B in Howie Kendrick or Todd Frazier. Maybe even an Eric Thames who can play 1B/DH and play some OF if needed. 

5 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'll say this now... as much as I want two legit arms and a bat, if we signed Cole and Wheeler and Arte/Eppler said they were out of money and didn't make another big signing or major trade I would feel pretty good about rolling into 2020 with Cole, Ohtani and Wheeler as the top three, with Canning, Heaney and Sandoval to claim two of the remaining spots. 

That would definitely be an improvement.

Fingers crossed that Ohtani and Canning remain healthy. Heaney is Heaney.

But at least it would be a step in the right direction.

14 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

You guys will all be standing in line to blow Eppler if he signs Cole....  But it's Arte that will ultimately be responsible .... Is he willing to set the record for a SP after signing the richest contract in pro sports ... I love Epp, but this is Arte's offseason.

So you’ll be in Arte’s line if they sign Cole?

jk 😃

2 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

So you’ll be in Arte’s line if they sign Cole?

jk 😃

This would be an accurate portrayal of the situation -- yes.   

I'm not going to take anything away from Epp, because he put them into the position where Arte can do this -- but yeah man.  If they do the things they need to do it will be because Arte gave him the go ahead -- flip side is if the guys all come in and tank -- it's totally on Eppler for misspending it all.   People are free to believe the Angels were players for name FA's before this year but the fact remains that the biggest deal the Angels were rumored to have made was 3 years 45 mil to Moustakas and that was roundly dismissed by both Boras and the Angels.  Inquiring about guys like Corbin doesnt count as pursuit IMO, it's the regular due diligence every GM should be doing.

BTW -- Cashman claims the Yankees will be in on Cole -- and Stras...    Makes sense given the the only SPs signed beyond this season are Severino and the guy in the form fitting white tank top.  

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/brian-cashman-discusses-gerrit-cole-yankees-offseason.html

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Oh and @Inside Pitch the Angels did offer Moustakas a contract. 

I know that's what you have been told, but they have publicly said they didn't is my point..  I'm betting it was to try to save face due to the actual offer.

But beyond whether or not it happened, a 3/45 offer that was rejected does more to support my belief that he wasn't in a position to make the kinds of offers that would have attracted a big name FA.

If the measure of a GM is how successful they are at signing guy to lowball (by MLB standards) offers then....  Lots of guys have proven they can't sign FAs.

I don't believe the Yankees will be in on Cole because of the tax situation. This is the last year before they are charged 50% for money past the tax threshold. They're already over it, so if it takes 35 million, you know they'll be paying him 45 million plus next year. And the year after that they'll need pitching again and the guys they'll love targeting are going to be upper tier, which means they'll be right back over there threshold again.

So yes, the Yanks will monitor his market, but I highly doubt they'll be fully invested in his outcome.

17 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

This would be an accurate portrayal of the situation -- yes.   

I'm not going to take anything away from Epp, because he put them into the position where Arte can do this -- but yeah man.  If they do the things they need to do it will be because Arte gave him the go ahead -- flip side is if the guys all come in and tank -- it's totally on Eppler for misspending it all.   People are free to believe the Angels were players for name FA's before this year but the fact remains that the biggest deal the Angels were rumored to have made was 3 years 45 mil to Moustakas and that was roundly dismissed by both Boras and the Angels.  Inquiring about guys like Corbin doesnt count as pursuit IMO, it's the regular due diligence every GM should be doing.

BTW -- Cashman claims the Yankees will be in on Cole -- and Stras...    Makes sense given the the only SPs signed beyond this season are Severino and the guy in the form fitting white tank top.  

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/brian-cashman-discusses-gerrit-cole-yankees-offseason.html

The Yankees are just going through the motions for their fans. They’re saying the right things but they’ll ultimately make sensible trades instead. They won’t be in on Cole or any other long term lucrative deals. Now if someone would take Stanton off their hands....

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

I don't believe the Yankees will be in on Cole because of the tax situation. This is the last year before they are charged 50% for money past the tax threshold. They're already over it, so if it takes 35 million, you know they'll be paying him 45 million plus next year. And the year after that they'll need pitching again and the guys they'll love targeting are going to be upper tier, which means they'll be right back over there threshold again.

So yes, the Yanks will monitor his market, but I highly doubt they'll be fully invested in his outcome.

I have no idea -- just pointing out that the guy calling the shots for them has said they will be..  As far as concerns about the cap goes -- they could dip under again next season.   They will have to start locking up some of their own guys soon, but they have a lot of wiggle room coming up and there will be a new CBA soon..

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hl2xgQQReB8qPSoa2YAaDcBfkw0qYeFQFizVP3m2JZs/edit#gid=1520401900

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

I have no idea -- just pointing out that the guy calling the shots for them has said they will be..  As far as concerns about the cap goes -- they could dip under again next season.   They will have to start locking up some of their own guys soon, but they have a lot of wiggle room coming up and there will be a new CBA soon..

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hl2xgQQReB8qPSoa2YAaDcBfkw0qYeFQFizVP3m2JZs/edit#gid=1520401900

They will have some wiggle room as you say but there's two ways to look at that.

1. Financial flexibility.

2. Holes that need to be filled.

Both in this case are true.

37 minutes ago, Stradling said:

What holes do they need to fill that they can’t fill with their farm through either promotion or making some trades?   Seems as though they have youth all around the diamond.  Their pen is locked down for a few more years.  

Specifically, in two years the only members of their rotation that will have their names in stone are Luis Severino and Deivi Garcia. They'll have some limited upside depth in AAA the same way the Angels do right now with Barria, Sandoval and Suarez, but they'll likely be looking at needing at minimum three starting pitchers. 

Good news is that with Happ and Tanaka's money off the books, they'll be about 40 million under where they are at right now.

Again, just my guess, but I think New York will trade for a starter this winter and bank on better health for 2020, so that their future squad can temporarily drop under the luxury tax limit and reset the penalties. So in two years, I'm guessing they'll need two starters and will probably reside about 20 million under the cap, meaning that's when they make their big splashes.

If they sign Gerrit Cole, you can pretty much throw any hope of them dropping under to reset the penalties out the window, which means they'll be paying 50 million a year for him due to the taxes. He'll only get 35, MLB will get the other 15+.

But whatever, I mean it's the Yankees, they can probably afford that. I just have my doubts. Had they been more fiscally responsible and not signed Giancarlo Stanton when they come already had a full outfield then they wouldn't be in this situation, but that's why it's in the CBT, to prevent wealthy teams from simply buying their way out of mistakes and level the playing field.

Edited by Second Base

On 11/11/2019 at 4:42 PM, Chuckster70 said:

I agree 100% but I will add that he needs to add one more bat from a position of weakness, like C or possibly a 3B/1B/DH type that can produce whenever Ohtani has his 3 straight days off at DH. 

I don't think any of us want to count on Pujols during this time.

I haven’t wanted to count on Pujols for the past 4 years.

20 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Just think (or dream).. If the Angels signed Wheeler and Cole, they would have three starters in their rotation that can touch 100 mph and consistently touch upper 90's. 

Man, that's bringing some 🔥

And it would give us three legit frontline starters for a playoff rotation. Then you can have a wild card like Canning in the mix. God damn it, I’m making myself horny.

donald duck feels good man GIF