• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB is a joke sometimes...

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/54306/moonshot-the-rocket-ball-has-disappeared-in-october/

I really hope they stop screwing around with the ball.   They clearly know the regular season balls were making a mockery of the game so once the postseason comes around they switch them...    Basically nullifying some of the strengths and weaknesses of playoff teams.

Manfred is a twat.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/54306/moonshot-the-rocket-ball-has-disappeared-in-october/

I really hope they stop screwing around with the ball.   They clearly know the regular season balls were making a mockery of the game so once the postseason comes around they switch them...    Basically nullifying some of the strengths and weaknesses of playoff teams.

Manfred is a twat.

That is pretty ridiculous. And it has to frustrate the hell out of the players.

Its like showing up for a football game, and they make the field 120 yards.

3 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

That is pretty ridiculous. And it has to frustrate the hell out of the players.

Its like showing up for a football game, and they make the field 120 yards.

The study is showing the drag on the balls is the highest they have seen since 2016...   So, it's a legit attempt to alter the ball and not some oopsies -- what happened dealio.

Imagine being a GM and trying to evaluate performance when building your team only to have the numbers mean nothing because "ball changed".

Didn't the same thing happen a couple years back?  Something changed with the threads, so pitchers with curves and sliders weren't getting the bite they did all season long?  I seem to remember it messing with Darvish badly in particular.

If you make a change, you have to do it in the offseason.

1 minute ago, True Grich said:

That's it. I'm done with baseball, forever.

I know you're kidding but, it really does put me off.   There is one thing in MLB that's supposed to be universal and that's the baseball, the parks are different, players all have custom gloves, hitters get their bats made to their specifications but the baseball is supposed to be the one constant.  When they start playing around with it to try to influence certain results they are risking altering the outcomes of games.   It's just cheap.

I've been wanting them to revert to the old ball, but seeing them do it in the postseason is sleazy.

28 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Read this tweet string -- it's a joke.

just curious, but how do they measure something like this? we're seeing some pretty dang elite pitchers out there, so it's natural that hitters aren't going to do as well as when they face the cahills and harveys of the MLB. plus you add in playoff pressure on top of that and elimination games, and stats are going to be affected.

2 minutes ago, Tank said:

just curious, but how do they measure something like this? we're seeing some pretty dang elite pitchers out there, so it's natural that hitters aren't going to do as well as when they face the cahills and harveys of the MLB. plus you add in playoff pressure on top of that and elimination games, and stats are going to be affected.

Statcast...  So they are using MLBs own data against them..    Also, they are measuring the drag on balls used by those pitchers to the balls used by those same pitchers in the regular season.   The Baseball prospectus Article hits on multiple data-points that all scream the same thing.

If they really want to reduce home runs (yeah...sure...) it would be simple.

Stop giving the pitcher a new baseball almost every at bat! Usually multiple times per hitter. Every damned time a ball touches the ground, or even is just very low or fouled off, they toss it and throw out a new ball.

Traditionally, the art of pitching was sly and crafty. Small scuff marks were exploited to do tricks with the ball. Pitchers spent lots of time rubbing up the ball and looking for imperfections to use their nails on. Not even bringing up the 'foreign substance' tricks. 

Pitchers today get a new ball constantly, even though often it"s at their own request or from their catcher. They haven't been schooled in the art of deception.

Doctoring bats (George  Brett anyone?) has been going on forever. Same with the balls. Even gloves. Let it go both ways unless something ridiculous crossed a line (Gaylord Perry?). Each batter and pitcher should be able to maximize the tools of their trade.

And raise the mound if you want to really give the pitcher more of a chance.

1 hour ago, Sean-Regan said:

In case anyone hasn’t seen MLB’s response:

BE12E746-5BBD-4020-A71E-C4B57CD16FC1.jpeg.b8ed00bd5829a3dc2157f051605edd1f.jpeg

It’s like they think no one can figure out the difference. The ball drag doesn’t change that drastically by accident. Did they imagine no one would look at the statcast data? Geez, their disingenuousness is something. 

This is what ticks me off....  They try to pretend it's just random...   It's just not based in truth.